How unique are these? thoughts?


Recommended Posts

Just came back from Paphos, Cyprus. Visited the lcdh there and found these Le Hoyo du Prince, in cardboard 5 packs.

According to ccw, these were discontinued in 2006. If so, these are aged and rare. Your thoughts?

 

duprince.jpg

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not too sure what you're asking. Are you asking if these are aged and rare?. Hmm not particularly they only stopped being available through generic suppliers in early 2017. And some of non generic suppliers still holding boxes of 25. Still a nice cigar. Reasonably hard to get hold off. But just enjoy them for what they are. Good well blended cigars

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, jcorona said:

Just came back from Paphos, Cyprus. Visited the lcdh there and found these Le Hoyo du Prince, in cardboard 5 packs.

According to ccw, these were discontinued in 2006. If so, these are aged and rare. Your thoughts?

The 5-pack cardboard boxes were indeed discontinued circa 2006. The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince was last offered on 24:24 listings at the end of January 2017. On our forum they were highly popular, in fact, in 2016 they were smoking very well. This meant that on FoH, their discontinuation resulted in high demand for the last listing/s. Amongst other retailers, they were still available in 2017, but I think they are hard to find right now, harder than the H.Upmann Petit Corona which was discontinued around the same time.

As for your 5-pack, you can tell that they are aged due to the bands being loose. To me, this means that the cigars have shrunk over time, which is a normal consequence of aging cigars as the moisture inside slowly changes over time. I would have have been just as elated to find these in a LCDH as I was in finding some Trinidad La Trova and Sancho Panza Molinos in the Falmouth LCDH recently. Believe me, I looked and looked for some du Prince (and some H.Upmann Petit Corona) but there weren't any. Well done on a great find!

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 minutes ago, JohnS said:
The 5-pack cardboard boxes were indeed discontinued circa 2006. The Hoyo de Monterrey Le Hoyo du Prince was last offered on 24:24 listings at the end of January 2017. On our forum they were highly popular, in fact, in 2016 they were smoking very well. This meant that on FoH, their discontinuation resulted in high demand for the last listing/s. Amongst other retailers, they were still available in 2017, but I think they are hard to find right now, harder than the H.Upmann Petit Corona which was discontinued around the same time.
As for your 5-pack, you can tell that they are aged due to the bands being loose. To me, this means that the cigars have shrunk over time, which is a normal consequence of aging cigars as the moisture inside slowly changes over time. I would have have been just as elated to find these in a LCDH as I was in finding some Trinidad La Trova and Sancho Panza Molinos in the Falmouth LCDH recently. Believe me, I looked and looked for some du Prince (and some H.Upmann Petit Corona) but there weren't any. Well done on a great find!

 


Well Then you must fly to Paphos because there were 4 more of these cardboard packs, and some du roi cardboard packs, equally old.

I’ll post some photos of the lcdh later on.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, jcorona said:

Just came back from Paphos, Cyprus. Visited the lcdh there and found these Le Hoyo du Prince, in cardboard 5 packs.

According to ccw, these were discontinued in 2006. If so, these are aged and rare. Your thoughts?

 

duprince.jpg

That's a great find! Judging by the bands, which were discontinued around 2003, the cigars are probably even older than 2006, they could be over 15 years old. Good for you man!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Corylax18 said:

That's a great find! Judging by the bands, which were discontinued around 2003, the cigars are probably even older than 2006, they could be over 15 years old. Good for you man! 

These bands have been used for longer in the cardboard packaging only. But a dead giveaway is the Habanos box seal, which had been used up until 2004.

To the OP, I had been choosing the Du Roi.

But it all boils down on storage over that time. As others have said - just enjoy them for what they are, and erase any thoughts of "special" from your mind. (for me, the du Prince has always been the least liked of the series, but I know quite a few guys who love them - perhaps often just out of a lack of alternative offerings from the line...:P)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 10 months later...
On 12/27/2018 at 4:50 AM, jcorona said:

Just came back from Paphos, Cyprus. Visited the lcdh there and found these Le Hoyo du Prince, in cardboard 5 packs.

According to ccw, these were discontinued in 2006. If so, these are aged and rare. Your thoughts?

 

duprince.jpg

Did you get a chance to try these cigars?  How are they?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes I tried one with 3 months rest in my humidor. Nothing special, just an ok smoke. I’ll have to try one again with a longer resting time, and then I’ll get a better idea of how it is.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 months later...
On 11/18/2019 at 6:24 PM, anjimj said:

All of a sudden these are popping up with well known reputable vendors. Just like the 2005 magnum 46 that popped a few years ago in petacas as well. Someone distributors must be releasing them not sure exactly. 

I have been noticing this too.  Kind of a head-scratcher if you ask me... (I mean, how likely is it that Habanos SA found a crate of them in the warehouse and decided to crank them out at a premium?).   @jcorona i am wondering if you've tried another one since you last checked in on this.. and if so, how are they smoking now..?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I grabbed a box of these from 2006, and tried one recently.  I was very pleased.  It's a smooth lighter smoke with nice toasty and vanilla flavors.  I generally prefer larger diameter cigars because I tend to smoke em quickly...  This little stick held up well, despite the abuse.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, mwaller said:

I grabbed a box of these from 2006, and tried one recently.  I was very pleased.  It's a smooth lighter smoke with nice toasty and vanilla flavors.  I generally prefer larger diameter cigars because I tend to smoke em quickly...  This little stick held up well, despite the abuse.

was it a 5x5 or a SLB?  I'm kind of tempted to pull the trigger on a 5x5 but I'm concerned the cardboard could have permeated the cigars by this point

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.

Community Software by Invision Power Services, Inc.