Where do you keep your RH/Temps?

Greetings all,

Not really a question here, just curious to see what others are doing.

I’m using the Newair CC-100h wineador, 65% rh / 70 degrees using heartfelt beads (originally had the cigar oasis with horrible results). Started with the 70/70 myth but found much better results dropping the RH down and never looked back. Cigars burn much better with far less issues and no loss in flavor (at least what I can tell).

anyone else started at 70rh and switched? What was your experience like?

Jason 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

62%/70F

...sounds about right! I have been doing some tests on non temperature controlled, sealed and actively humidified humidors for some time. This is a bad idea for net rH positive environments, but

I went back to 65 to 66 rh at 70 df....to me the cigars have more flavor then when I had them at 61 to 62rh at 70 df.... Just works for me.. Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Greetings all,
Not really a question here, just curious to see what others are doing.
I’m using the Newair CC-100h wineador, 65% rh / 70 degrees using heartfelt beads (originally had the cigar oasis with horrible results). Started with the 70/70 myth but found much better results dropping the RH down and never looked back. Cigars burn much better with far less issues and no loss in flavor (at least what I can tell).

anyone else started at 70rh and switched? What was your experience like?

Jason 
Hi Jason...I have the Newair cc-100h myself and love it, I use the Boveda 62% packs and temp at 70 df......I'm having good luck at these settings...
Great burn.. and flavors are good....

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use several undercounter wine coolers for storage, as they provide a well sealed box to work with. I’ve completely sealed the interiors, and lined all of them with veneers of Spanish cedar to eliminate the smell of the plastic liners. I keep all of them off and unpowered to eliminate the spikes in humidity caused by the internal moisture from condensation when running. I keep them in a constantly air-conditioned room, at 74 degrees, and use 62% Boveda packs for RH. RH stays constant at about 64. This seems to be working for me in the tropical environment of Hawaii where RH is relatively high, and temps get fairly high in the Summer/Fall months. Constant RH and Temp.

I keep my NC’s in a separate wine cooler with 69 Boveda packs. Still can’t really explain why they perform best at a slightly higher RH...but in my experience they do.

• Like 2

Yeah spikes are really flummoxing me. Completely.

Tropical climates meaning the difference between internal and external is always around 10 degrees Celsius!

So it’s currently running at 18c/75rh which is on the wet side of things. Burning slower. Uneven burns.... muted last 3rds....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4 hours ago, Wilzc said:

Tropical climates meaning the difference between internal and external is always around 10 degrees Celsius!

So it’s currently running at 18c/75rh which is on the wet side of things. Burning slower. Uneven burns.... muted last 3rds....

Even sealed? What storage do you use? And humidification?

64-66 RH and whatever the ambient temp in the house is...typically about 70.

• Like 2

65 Bovedas in Tupperware, and keep my house at 70-ish degrees.  Might try 62rh some day but 65 works just fine for me so far.

69rh for NC because that's what I settled on and never experimented any further.  I tend to think cigars are more resilient than we give them credit for, and that a couple degrees or rh% doesn't make any real difference.  Or if it does, it's not a difference that my palate is sophisticated enough to detect.

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, multi-useless said:

65 Bovedas in Tupperware, and keep my house at 70-ish degrees.  Might try 62rh some day but 65 works just fine for me so far.

69rh for NC because that's what I settled on and never experimented any further.  I tend to think cigars are more resilient than we give them credit for, and that a couple degrees or rh% doesn't make any real difference.  Or if it does, it's not a difference that my palate is sophisticated enough to detect.

+/- 1 or 2 pts not that big of a deal. 3/4+ will make a difference. But you also have to understand it takes time for the cigars to fluctuate several RH pts. Not just a couple days, but weeks minimum. Lots of variables to consider

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, stogieluver said:

62%/70F

...sounds about right!

I have been doing some tests on non temperature controlled, sealed and actively humidified humidors for some time. This is a bad idea for net rH positive environments, but very good for net rH negative environments when you have some sort of ambient temperature control. Mostly I have been testing a humidifier for this environment, but that is another issue.

If you have stable moderate temperatures, it is pretty damn easy to store cigars!

-Piggy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Wilzc said:

If I had to guess, something built on or with a Newair cooler!

-Piggy

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

If I had to guess, something built on or with a Newair cooler!

Are there many known issues with the Newair? 

When I first set mine up I had all sorts of issues getting the unit to stabilize humidity wise..... after a couple of months I figured out it was all credited to the cigar oasis (which is a great unit itself, just not great for wineadors). Once I replaced the cigar oasis with heartfelt beads the unit stabilized within an hour and sits all day every day at 65 rh, and the recovery time is about a min or two when the door is opened. 

Imo the cigar oasis is a great unit, love the concept and design, just not for sealed units... especially ones with fans. 

Jason 

9 hours ago, Wilzc said:

I’ve been there and understand the frustration, what’s your setup like? Maybe we can help?? 

1 minute ago, Jmc1983 said:

I’ve heard of people using different rh for CC and NC’s. I use 65rh for both and dry box certain cigars for a few hours up to a day.... but only the ones I know need it. Never had any issues with 65rh

A few hours? I'm not sure how that could possibly affect anything. If I dry box, I've found 1-2 days doesn't do much (<50%rh). But then again, there are lots of variables. Usually takes a good 3-5+ days for best results. What do you think?

• Like 1

I’ve heard of people using different rh for CC and NC’s. I use 65rh for both and dry box certain cigars for a few hours up to a day.... but only the ones I know need it. Never had any issues with 65rh
One thing I've learned since joining this group is.....temp. has an important role in moisture content in the cigar...

Mr. Piggy can tell you in great detail how that works.....

Same rh at different temperatures will influence different moisture content of the cigar...

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Derboesekoenig said:

A few hours? I'm not sure how that could possibly affect anything. If I dry box, I've found 1-2 days doesn't do much (<50%rh). But then again, there are lots of variables. Usually takes a good 3-5+ days for best results. What do you think?

I use a travel cigar caddy to dry box my cigars on the go... don’t know if that makes a difference, but I guess variables like you said. Personally I’ll take a few of the same sticks and smoke them over the course of a day or two and I notice the ones I smoke sooner taste better to me.... but that’s just my opinion ?‍♂️ They all burn the same though. 

1 hour ago, Jmc1983 said:

Are there many known issues with the Newair? 

When I first set mine up I had all sorts of issues getting the unit to stabilize humidity wise..... after a couple of months I figured out it was all credited to the cigar oasis (which is a great unit itself, just not great for wineadors). Once I replaced the cigar oasis with heartfelt beads the unit stabilized within an hour and sits all day every day at 65 rh, and the recovery time is about a min or two when the door is opened. 

Imo the cigar oasis is a great unit, love the concept and design, just not for sealed units... especially ones with fans. 

Jason 

If you are asking me Jason, they don't work. However you have just asked that question of the forum humidor snob, so you have to filter the reply.

Welcome to the forum, by the way! Live long and postmore!

-the Pig