H. Upmann Connossieur A (2017/18) 12DCRC

Although I grabbed a 6-pack of these from 24:24, I'm not sure quite sure why.  I think it's because I want to like the Connie A, although every single one of my experiences with it has been that I don't like it.  From my other review, you may know that I simply am not an H. Upmann fan.

After an evening event, a friend and I decided to cap off the night at a bar with a nice deck lounge.  At this stage, I had already had a few cigars and most notably a really nice Trinidad Reyes right before this Connie A--perhaps that has something to do with how my review is turning out.

20181206_211448.thumb.jpg.baf50570d8b2ef96dfda5ee2b84682fd.jpg

We didn't get drinks, I just got some water as I was pretty tired.  I cut this beastly cigar and slipped off its comically huge and blinged-out band.  The first puff was non-eventful.  I didn't get much flavor.  I kept puffing at it slowly hoping something would come out but it was mostly just a creaminess, more of a texture than a flavor.  As I puffed through, the first third ended up with most unsweetened cream with just a touch of floral and nutty tones.  I honestly wasn't quite sure what flavors were going on at this point, I was mostly just disappointed with it again.

The second third continued on with its general lack of flavor.  I'm not sure if it's a bad stick or I simply had killed all my sense of taste by now or it may just have been that the Trinidad was so much more powerful in flavor that this seemed to taste like nothing.

20181206_213350.thumb.jpg.352ee1f00a7e807e7c4c21824cae9fe4.jpg

As you can see above, the cigar itself was quite beautiful, with plenty of sheen in the wrapper and it was rolled extremely well.  I continued on in hopes the tides would change but I was left hanging.  No real flavors ever came to be, despite the fact that I was trying to clear my palate with water.  Perhaps the next time, I will try the Connie A as my first cigar of the day as it seems to have a very mild profile.  My previous experiences have not been this bad, I recall there were at least woody flavors involved.  I guess I'll just have to start digging into my 6-pack and find out.

• Like 2

I will hopefully be getting mine from the 24:24 soon.....
When I do I'll give them a rest for a few weeks and come back and give a review on my experience.....hopefully you got a dud and the rest are gonna be fine...

The one that you are reviewing was it obtained from the most recent 24:24...

Thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

2 hours ago, hunterbeav said:

I will hopefully be getting mine from the 24:24 soon.....
When I do I'll give them a rest for a few weeks and come back and give a review on my experience.....hopefully you got a dud and the rest are gonna be fine...

The one that you are reviewing was it obtained from the most recent 24:24...

Thanks Jim

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

This was from the Xmas sampler.  I'd also want to stress that while I'm not a huge fan of H. Upmann cigars generally, I've never found them bland--although to be fair it was probably my fifth cigar that day, so I had already smoked some of my favorites just hours ago (Trinidad Reyes, Rafael Gonzalez Perlas, RASS, and Siglo I), all of them PSP from 24:24 here except the RG Perlas, which are from 2015.

1 hour ago, Fugu said:

Well, after smoking a perfect Reyes every other smoke can only fall off...

Yeah I think I kind of set myself up for a disappointment even if it were a cigar I usually liked.

1 hour ago, Riverstyx said:

I commend you on an honest review.  I feel like people resist giving negative reviews for loved cigars. A natural human response to wanting to belong I reckon.  

Hah, wait until you see my review of the Juan Lopez Seleccion No. 2....it's probably my least favorite Cuban cigar of all despite its popularity here.

7 minutes ago, mt1 said:

it was probably my fifth cigar that day, so I had already smoked some of my favorites just hours ago (Trinidad Reyes, Rafael Gonzalez Perlas, RASS, and Siglo I), all of them PSP from 24:24 here except the RG Perlas, which are from 2015.

I've never done five cigars in one day, but if I did I'm pretty sure I wouldn't be able to taste anything at all by the end of it. Let alone this line up, all of which I think of as full-flavoured smokes.

6 hours ago, mt1 said:

Yeah I think I kind of set myself up for a disappointment even if it were a cigar I usually liked.

Yup, there sure was some sort of palate tiring after this "a couple of cigars", as you say. But, from what you report - having also checked the other rev. - Upmann may simply not be your thing. Still, what I am surprised to hear is how (offputtingly) spicy/peppery you perceive Upmanns. A note/taste I'd not typically associate with H. Upmann. Perhaps in a fresh Mag46 or Noellas, may be, at times, but then again the latter seems to be a cigar that you enjoyed.... Or storage perhaps? Cigar moisture? By all means, do not miss to try some aged ones (+5yrs)!

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Fugu said:

Yup, there sure was some sort of palate tiring after this "a couple of cigars", as you say. But, from what you report - having also checked the other rev. - Upmann may simply not be your thing. Still, what I am surprised to hear is how (offputtingly) spicy/peppery you perceive Upmanns. A note/taste I'd not typically associate with H. Upmann. Perhaps in a fresh Mag46 or Noellas, may be, at times, but then again the latter seems to be a cigar that you enjoyed.... Or storage perhaps? Cigar moisture? By all means, do not miss to try some aged ones (+5yrs)!

I guess different people taste different things or have different perceptions, H. Upmanns have always been peppery to me and I'm fine with it, I just know it's not my preferred flavor profile.

• Like 1