in flight duty free

They report that inflight Duty free is on the rebound (up 4%) over the past 12 months. 

Do any members purchase from IDF on a regular basis?  i have been known to call for the cart upon completion of the first bottle of champers. I believe all my kids have at one stage received model Qantas planes :dunce:

Are there any airlines with a quirky selection?....does anyone still sell cigars?

Your all time best IDF purchase? :thinking:

37 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

Are there any airlines with a quirky selection?

I cant for the life of me remember where i saw it, but i've definitely seen a concorde menu, when you could buy a boxes of Davidoff Latour, Margaux, Dom Pom etc.  How can we see the end of such lavish activity as "progress"!?

24 minutes ago, 99call said:

I cant for the life of me remember where i saw it, but i've definitely seen a concorde menu, when you could buy a boxes of Davidoff Latour, Margaux, Dom Pom etc.  How can we see the end of such lavish activity as "progress"!?

Wow. When, in the 1980s? 

I have never seen anyone selling cigars, but then again, I've only flown KLM, Lufthansa, and Emirates for overseas flights. I would definitely be surprised to see any cigars, let alone these.

I honestly didn't know that duty free shops in airports sold cigars until I started coming to this site.  I always thought they just sold liquor, and since I don't want more luggage to carry I never considered any savings worth shopping there.  I've always passed them by (but no longer come my next trip).

28 minutes ago, 99call said:

How can we see the end of such lavish activity as "progress"!?

On the other hand, our adult college students now have safe spaces where they can process perceived microaggressions by making playdoh doodles and petting kittens.  And no one loses, participation medals for all.  And one can now be referred to by any pronoun of their choice.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MD Puffer said:

I honestly didn't know that duty free shops in airports sold cigars until I started coming to this site.  I always thought they just sold liquor, and since I don't want more luggage to carry I never considered any savings worth shopping there.  I've always passed them by (but no longer come my next trip).

Some are better than others. The best advice I can give you is same as everywhere else--inspect, inspect, inspect. Everything that you buy

Last flight I had with MAS/MAB had the IDF trolley. You could buy cigarettes and cigars (Willems, Cafe Creme, etc). Pretty sure Cathay still sells cigarettes on their flights.

Thinking of the good old days of IDF, got me thinking about other things in airline travel, that have fallen by the wayside. Does anybody remember those rubber tube pneumatic headphones?

11 hours ago, madandana said:

I don’t think we have in flight duty free in America. I’ve only seen it once or twice. I think it was from IT to Paris.

Hawaiian does. If you have a taste for Johnny Walker, the Blue is quite reasonable. 

• Like 1