Humbug!

I just couldn’t bring myself to watch Ratatouille again, for the 75th time, after picking up my boy from daycare.  So, I scanned the DVR menu to see what was coming up and ended up recording Disney’s A Christmas Carol (with a stellar cast- Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins, and Robin Wright).  It was nicely done and well received by my 17 month old film critic (there are some cartoon he has no interest in, and others he can watch countless times).  This Disney rendition is very good, not the greatest telling of this classic tale.  Since the season is approaching, I’m curious to know what your favorite versions are.  My favorites are (from most to least):

1.       Scrooge, 1970- No one very famous in this case that I recall but very well acted.  This is what I grew up watching every year.  Musical.  I still like it the best.

2.       Scrooged, Bill Murray-  Hilarious.  Bill Murray at his finest.

3.       Mickey’s Christmas Carol- The boy loves Mickey and I think this has a slight edge on the Jim Carrey animated film.

4.       A Christmas Carol- Jean Luc Picard:  Beam me up Marley.  Very enjoyable and true to the book.

5.       A Christmas Carol- George C Scott:  Well acted, properly done, but Scott just doesn’t come across as Scrooge to me.  I just see Patton.

There are many other versions of this classic, so my list is far from comprehensive and based on just the ones I’ve watched

1 hour ago, MD Puffer said:

I just couldn’t bring myself to watch Ratatouille again, for the 75th time, after picking up my boy from daycare.  So, I scanned the DVR menu to see what was coming up and ended up recording Disney’s A Christmas Carol (with a stellar cast- Jim Carrey, Gary Oldman, Colin Firth, Bob Hoskins, and Robin Wright).  It was nicely done and well received by my 17 month old film critic (there are some cartoon he has no interest in, and others he can watch countless times).  This Disney rendition is very good, not the greatest telling of this classic tale.  Since the season is approaching, I’m curious to know what your favorite versions are.  My favorites are (from most to least):

1.       Scrooge, 1970- No one very famous in this case that I recall but very well acted.  This is what I grew up watching every year.  Musical.  I still like it the best.

2.       Scrooged, Bill Murray-  Hilarious.  Bill Murray at his finest.

3.       Mickey’s Christmas Carol- The boy loves Mickey and I think this has a slight edge on the Jim Carrey animated film.

4.       A Christmas Carol- Jean Luc Picard:  Beam me up Marley.  Very enjoyable and true to the book.

5.       A Christmas Carol- George C Scott:  Well acted, properly done, but Scott just doesn’t come across as Scrooge to me.  I just see Patton.

There are many other versions of this classic, so my list is far from comprehensive and based on just the ones I’ve watched

George C Scott is my favorite Scrooge, hands down. That film is also the best Christmas Carol of 5 listed, IMHO. This is one of the classics I watch every holiday season, as it serves as a good annual litmus test of my sociability: mustn’t get feeling too sympathetic toward Scrooge :) 

If only Scrooge smoked cigars..

We recently watched "The Man Who Invented Christmas" which was about how Charles Dickens came to write a Christmas Carol.  That prompted us to watch the Disney version of a Christmas Carol and that prompted us to go watch Christmas Carol at the local theatre. We made an evening of it.  Dinner, show, piano bar.  

In any event, never thought I'd find myself watching the first movie, yet alone the entire batch!  My wife and I enjoyed them all!  

Don't forget "Jingle All the Way", not a great film but a certain FOH member is quite visible in a scene with Sinbad and a frenzied mob...

jingle.thumb.jpg.ed3452915916631409268cbcb96f6e17.jpg

• Like 1