Advice needed on purchasing laptop

On 11/22/2018 at 3:54 PM, stogieluver said:

Yes, primarily looking for make/model under around $500 if I can get something decent for that price especially with Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales.

I travel with it infrequently and rarely without a power plug, so battery life isn't top priority.

Suggestion in image attached, they email me every other week with new inventory.  No experience with their product but I have purchased a few used or off lease from other sites with success. Storage is small so don’t plan to store too many audio/video/pictures.

C6D09193-68A9-4A90-80B2-EEE8529B149A.jpeg

• 1 year later...

Actually, with 500$ you can even manage to find an notebook running on Intel i5 with 4 gigabytes RAM, so try to orient yourself on something like that. I bought for my sister an Asus, on i5 for about 600$ some time ago, and if you find something on a discount, it could be great. The only problem I don't like about Windows Os, is the fact that you have to install by yourself all the necessary files and software packs if you want your notebook to work properly. You have to search for the best antivirus, for the best pc tune up software, and other things that are not so pleasant for us, the consumers.

38 minutes ago, KimberlyJames said:

Actually, with 500$ you can even manage to find an notebook running on Intel i5 with 4 gigabytes RAM, so try to orient yourself on something like that.

This is a 2 year old thread! Just sayin'

• Haha 1

• 8 months later...

When I chose a laptop, I faced the same tasks. I needed a good portable laptop for my studies. I think it is difficult to choose such a laptop to meet all the requirements. I read a lot of articles and realized that basically if I didn't have to take a laptop with me to college, I could buy a PC. But finally, I chose a good laptop for medical school- Asus ZenBook 13. I've been using it for almost six months and had no problem. Some people may think that it has a small screen, but I like that it's compact. Moreover, it's possible to take a more powerful PC for home use in the future.

3 hours ago, Kit055 said:

When I chose a laptop, I faced the same tasks. I needed a good portable laptop for my studies.

Microsoft Surface line of laptops are hard to beat.

22 minutes ago, BrightonCorgi said:

Microsoft Surface line of laptops are hard to beat.

My 3 co-workers would disagree. :D.  We did a refresh about two years ago. They went with the Surface Pro, I went Thinkpad.  They constantly bitch about overheating, lockups, reboots and wiped boot sectors.  My Thinkpad just keeps going. :D.  As for the OP's request. Look into the new Ryzen series of laptops with integrated GPU( video card chip built into the CPU core package).  Unbeatable performance on them and well priced.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, PurosyVino said:

My 3 co-workers would disagree. :D.  We did a refresh about two years ago. They went with the Surface Pro, I went Thinkpad.  They constantly bitch about overheating, lockups, reboots and wiped boot sectors.  My Thinkpad just keeps going. :D.  As for the OP's request. Look into the new Ryzen series of laptops with integrated GPU( video card chip built into the CPU core package).  Unbeatable performance on them and well priced.

I been using Thinkpad's for 20+ years.  I like them too, but the form and price of the the Surface Pro's is better than ThinkPad if spending my own money. 

My current laptop is a Dell Precision 5510 Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6920HQ CPU @ 2.90GHz 32GB ram.  I haven't owned my own computer in 20 years either.

Yep. we have progressed to a superior device. 

smaller screen. 

lower resolution. 

poorer sound. 

weaker processing power. 

cost 2X as much. 

sounds like progression to me :)

• Haha 3