San Frans Vendetta store.

Robb report 

https://robbreport.com/food-drink/cigars/robb-report-reviews-3-new-nicaraguan-cigars-2788725/

In spite of the Cuban embargo and California’s anti-smoking laws, the aptly named Vendettamen’s clothing and cigar shop located in San Francisco’s Fairmont hotel on Nob Hill is one of the few places in the country where you can both buy and smoke preembargo Cuban cigars.

Thanks to a set of fortuitous circumstances, Vendetta’s owner, Bruce Rothenberg, has been able to stock his store’s humidor with a limited number of preembargo Havanas, including MontecristoNo. 2 torpedos from 1955 ($350 each), Hoyo de Monterey Epicure No. 2 robustos from 1957 ($275 each), and Punch Coronas from 1961 ($150 each), among many others. He also (as of press time) has a single full box of Flor de Farach Palmeras from 1950 ($5,000 for a box of 25). In addition to preembargo Havanas, Rothenberg sells smoker’s accessories and premium non-Cuban cigars, such as Regius and Padrón from Nicaragua, and Montecristo and Romeo y Julieta from the Dominican Republic.

My experience there mirrors mbflash.  When I went by last year the "bargain" was a $95 RyJ that was about the size of a petite corona allegedly from 1959.  It's worth mentioning it had no band or identifying material of any kind and was pulled out of an old ziplock bag when it was shown to me...

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I just wish the hours were better.  It's been closed whenever I've stopped by.  Was hoping they had a cutting fee charge for bringing your own, since the Fairmont is a nice venue to meet up.

• Like 1

Just now, PapaDisco said:

I just wish the hours were better.  It's been closed whenever I've stopped by.  Was hoping they had a cutting fee charge for bringing your own, since the Fairmont is a nice venue to meet up.

They might have a cutting fee but just so you're aware, the lounge can only fit 2 people maximum.  It's a very small space with two chairs and a bunch of stacked boxes of stuff.  

• Like 2

A couple of the outdoor patios at the Fairmont are cigar friendly.  Also just a block away at Powell and California is the University Club, with a lovely wide balcony off the 4th floor bar where one can sit down and enjoy a cigar and drink.  Live music on Wednesdays! :cigar: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

* The Gotham Cigar Museum;  www.gothamcigarmuseum.com has LOTS of Clear and Pre-Embargo Havanas listed on their site, and I think more reasonably priced too, than this San Frans Vendetta store.

• Like 2

I WISH  unfortunately can’t see it happening in this country  damn shame though ?

4 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

A couple of the outdoor patios at the Fairmont are cigar friendly.  Also just a block away at Powell and California is the University Club, with a lovely wide balcony off the 4th floor bar where one can sit down and enjoy a cigar and drink.  Live music on Wednesdays! :cigar: 

.....you certainly get around....you international man of mystery :D

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, El Presidente said:

.....you certainly get around....you international man of mystery :D

Ha ha . . . that's what SHE said! :P   I will be on your side of the international dateline, permanently, come next week! :cigar: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SenorPerfecto said:

Presumably he has ironclad provenance for all of the cigars he sells. Otherwise you could just open a Cuban cigar lounge, de-band everything, say it's all "pre-embargo" and you're off to the races. Therefore I'm certain all those cigars are legitimately pre-embargo.

I think they believe they are selling the real deal and they're not trying to scam anyone BUT when you have a fistful of allegedly 60 year old cigars in a ziplock with no bands, no box, no identifying material of any kind, you start to have a lot of available room to not be getting what they think they're selling.  

• Like 1

I was there several years ago, and purchased 2 Monty No 1’s from 1950’s for $350. Both my friend and I were scepticle, because of the pristine condition of the cigars, but after smoking them, we both believed they were pre Embargo Monty’s. Absolutely amazing cigars.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ABurnett said:

I think they believe they are selling the real deal and they're not trying to scam anyone BUT when you have a fistful of allegedly 60 year old cigars in a ziplock with no bands, no box, no identifying material of any kind, you start to have a lot of available room to not be getting what they think they're selling.  

Absolutely. This whole biz is based on trust and trusting. Trust in turn is a matter of long standing relationships and must be earned. It won't be merited by a high price and a knowing face alone....

• Like 1

Understand your comments but how about this. 

Holy shite, did you see that vintage Cuban cigar collection in the highest hotel men’s boutique in San Francisco? And you can sit in a nice lounge in the back and have a smoke with a friend too.

3F2B3E23-01BA-442F-AF21-6C52BEF9635F.thumb.jpeg.7c9f2f052c4ab74d3587b03a74b2d063.jpeg

I wrote to Bruce from home before we traveled  and let him know we were arriving in town. Found out when he was there.

I am not a Vintage smoker. More like a museum visit for me and meeting a cigar and clothing friend.

CB

• Thanks 1