Aristocrat Humidors (buying a used one)

5 hours ago, shlomo said:

Depends to where, but the thing weighs hundreds of pounds. Not something I am willing to ship. 

It is not really the weight but the volume of the object.  You're basically shipping an empty box of air.  Just like when we ship spiral pipe, it gets crazy expensive because of the space the item(s) take up in a trailer.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

So I left to go pick up this humidor thinking it would fit in my passenger seat.... photos of humidors require something for scale. So... after renting a uhaul, I got this beautiful box home. Love it!

How old is the unit? I’d consider that as well They are excellent cabinets, but if it’s more than a year or 2 old I’d buy a new one I’d also go BIGGER, they fill faster than you would e

Just hung up with Bob and gave him a deposit on a Majestic 42.  I don't  need temp control so that saved a few Shekels.   So 12 weeks Sept 18 but who is counting.....

Sweet humidor. Hard to believe only $150 to ship. That unit is very heavy & I would be concerned how it is packed to avoid damage. Bob does a masterful job packing them to ensure/insure they arrive without issue.

Sweet humidor. Hard to believe only $150 to ship. That unit is very heavy & I would be concerned how it is packed to avoid damage. Bob does a masterful job packing them to ensure/insure they arrive without issue.

“Shipping” means delivered by the seller, not actual shipping. He lives easy driving distance from me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Okay, I’ve emailed with Bob. Here are the following stats. For a smaller humidor, but definitely not as nice... total cost: $3724 and it would be at least 12 weeks to completion. The used one is nicer, larger, in perfect condition, and is ready as soon as I want it.

1439d8ea70d69bbd1fe39761cda078a2.jpg

1 hour ago, liquid360 said:

Okay, I’ve emailed with Bob. Here are the following stats. For a smaller humidor, but definitely not as nice... total cost: $3724 and it would be at least 12 weeks to completion. The used one is nicer, larger, in perfect condition, and is ready as soon as I want it.

1439d8ea70d69bbd1fe39761cda078a2.jpg

The cabinet quoted by Bob is larger than the cabinet in your earlier post

Don’t underestimate the additional storage of the 25D

Based on the info you have provided I would purchase new from Bob without any further consideration for the smaller cabinet

Just my $.02

Mine is a decade old, and the hygro controller just had to go back for a rebuild.  The guys that made it are still around, and were wonderful to deal with.  Alternately, Bob is offering a retrofit kit that would allow you to install the new version that he's using.  Cost was a bit less for the rebuild, and it worked flawlessly for a decade, so I went that way.  Something to think about if you're buying a cabinet that's got some years on it.

My Staebell is one of the purchases I'd make again, tomorrow, without hesitation.  FWIW.....

Seems like you already know what you want to do.  I would prefer purchasing a new unit to my specs if the used unit was more than half the price.  

Actually no, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I just wanted more educated input/opinions.

I’ve decided to go with a new one. The primary downside for me is the three month wait. I know it’ll be worth it in the end, but I am NOT a patient guy.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, liquid360 said:

Actually no, I had no idea what I wanted to do. I just wanted more educated input/opinions.

I’ve decided to go with a new one. The primary downside for me is the three month wait. I know it’ll be worth it in the end, but I am NOT a patient guy.

I just figured I was late to the party and you were already leaning in a direction.  No offense meant.  If it is just a few hundred bucks to get the exact model you want with the exact finishes you want, then it seams like a no-brainer. If the seller was willing to reduce the price significantly or is throwing in a few boxes of cigars to sweeten the deal that would make your decision more difficult.  

The wait might seem long. But just like aging cigars, you will be amazed that five+ years has gone by.  A few months is a blink of an eye.

I am sure everyone would love to see pics when it arrives.

• Like 1

I just figured I was late to the party and you were already leaning in a direction.  No offense meant.  If it is just a few hundred bucks to get the exact model you want with the exact finishes you want, then it seams like a no-brainer. If the seller was willing to reduce the price significantly or is throwing in a few boxes of cigars to sweeten the deal that would make your decision more difficult.  
The wait might seem long. But just like aging cigars, you will be amazed that five+ years has gone by.  A few months is a blink of an eye.
I am sure everyone would love to see pics when it arrives.

No offense taken. Yeah, time moves glacially right up until the point when you look backwards. Time truly is relative.
I’ll definitely post pics once completed. Now the hard part, figuring out exactly what I want ☹️ I’m not good at seeing a list of options and imaging the final result. A mistake would be truly tragic. It’ll take me at least a month to design this. I’m hyper aware of the fact that you should go large. I’ve only just gotten back into cigars after an almost twenty year hiatus. In one month I’ve had to purchase a half dozen large tabletop humidors. These boxes are from only four weeks. Obviously large is called for.
d994ef0bdd4a9c227a5294880d6cb967.jpg

I took the plunge today and spoke to Bob and exchanged a few emails, waiting for final proposal.  Very excited to get it but it is a 12 week wait... But I think worth it.  The tuppadores will work for the summer.

• Like 2

I've had my MXT Plus with cooling for about 10 years with zero regrets. For me is was worth the coin and I have no regrets. Bob is great to work with and customer service is still great after all of these years. I replace the humidifier wicks once a year.

At some point I may have Bob do a build in unit in our motorhome. 

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 7:24 AM, BrightonCorgi said:

Assuming perfect condition, I would value a used Aristocrat at a 10-15% discount on new.  These are lifetime heirloom pieces, so buying used should not deter.  Adjust on damage.  At least this one is ready to go.  You order one and who knows the wait?  Is the style, wood, and finish to your liking?  Spec'd the way you want? 

I am not a fan of the AC units.  They are noisy, take up room, and power goes out you no longer have the AC.

Hmmm, not sure about the noisy A/C comments, I have 2 larger cabinets and I can barely hear the AC units. 

• Like 1

On 6/23/2018 at 4:42 PM, clutch5150 said:

Hmmm, not sure about the noisy A/C comments, I have 2 larger cabinets and I can barely hear the AC units. 

Two friends both have the AC units and it would drive me crazy how loud they are.  That's all I can hear in the room when they kick on.

Two friends both have the AC units and it would drive me crazy how loud they are.  That's all I can hear in the room when they kick on.

Perhaps they haven’t been cleaned/maintained? They shouldn’t be loud. Something’s wrong.

Just now, liquid360 said:

Perhaps they haven’t been cleaned/maintained? They shouldn’t be loud. Something’s wrong.

It's when the AC kicks on.  These two are neat freaks.  I don't get the AC part since it is on the same circuit as the house.  The house is already a steady temp.  AC takes up a lot of room in the unit too.

• Like 2

It's when the AC kicks on.  These two are neat freaks.  I don't get the AC part since it is on the same circuit as the house.  The house is already a steady temp.  AC takes up a lot of room in the unit too.

I know some people shoot for 60/60 with CC. Not me, but some. That requires cooling.

Just hung up with Bob and gave him a deposit on a Majestic 42.  I don't  need temp control so that saved a few Shekels.   So 12 weeks Sept 18 but who is counting.....

• Like 3

What kind of deposit does he require?

16 hours ago, liquid360 said:

What kind of deposit does he require?

It was just over half.  About 60% but  a round number. 

• Like 1

This morning I’m picking up this used Aristocrat humidor. I drive a small 2dr Sports car. This should be interesting. If you’re in Bama and see a smashed up Aristocrat humidor that goes on in pieces for a few hundred feet, please send your condolences.

• Like 1