First smoked brisket of 2018!

cmbarton

I’m a lover of smoked barbecue. So much so, I’ve traveled around the United Stated tasting all the regional barbecues. St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, North Carolina ... you name it, I’ve been there.

I grew up here in Texas, and 35 years had taught me there’s nothing like Hill Country barbecue, but nevertheless I wanted to confirm my suspicion. By the way, I was right. That said, I still incorporate the things I love about regional barbecue throughout America, like vinegar-based sauce for smoked pork shoulder like they love in the Carolinas or sticky/sweet sauce for pork ribs like in St. Louis and Kansas City. However, I always come back to the tried and true Post Oak-smoked pepper and salt smoked brisket that has fed many generations in the Lone Star State.

Today I embark on my first smoke of 2018. Any fellow barbecue enthusiasts might like to follow along while I push through the unseasonably cold weather that has pushed through most of the country on my way to what I hope will be a great start to the year. My dozen and a half guests that will be arriving at noon tomorrow are counting on it!

• Like 4

I’m a lover of smoked barbecue. So much so, I’ve traveled around the United Stated tasting all the regional barbecues. St. Louis, Kansas City, Memphis, North Carolina ... you name it, I’ve been there.

I grew up here in Texas, and 35 years had taught me there’s nothing like Hill Country barbecue, but nevertheless I wanted to confirm my suspicion. By the way, I was right. That said, I still incorporate the things I love about regional barbecue throughout America, like vinegar-based sauce for smoked pork shoulder like they love in the Carolinas or sticky/sweet sauce for pork ribs like in St. Louis and Kansas City. However, I always come back to the tried and true Post Oak-smoked pepper and salt smoked brisket that has fed many generations in the Lone Star State.

Today I embark on my first smoke of 2018. Any fellow barbecue enthusiasts might like to follow along while I push through the unseasonably cold weather that has pushed through most of the country on my way to what I hope will be a great start to the year. My dozen and a half guests that will be arriving at noon tomorrow are counting on it!

Awesome good luck. Be sure to post pics! I love bbq and I made a brisket a month ago. Came out pretty good.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On Thursday I unwrapped my 14 lb USDA Prime brisket and proceeded to trim about 1.5 lbs of the fat cap and deckle. Then, I applied the tried and true traditional “dalmation” rub of equal parts salt and pepper. Forty eight hours rest in the fridge will be more than enough for the salt to break down the proteins in the meat and prepare it to receive copious amounts of Post Oak smoke!

a5c54971c2f18c1080d786f79dd498dd.jpg

• Like 2

At 4:00 pm I began to prepare the smoker (Weber Summit Charcoal Grill Center) and at 6:00 pm it reached the optimal 250 degrees and stayed stable long begin to begin the smoke. The brisket, having rested for 48 hours in the fridge, is applied to the smoker with the fat cap down ... a new approach for me. I’ve never done this before, but with the indirect heat coming from directly below the brisket, I believe this will insulate it from temperature swings and provide a more-consistent cook. An hour later I’m getting a nice faint blue smoke which indicates a perfect burn from the Post Oak!

My “other” smoke is a Montecristo Petit No. 2, and I’m drinking a Cabernet Sauvignon from my friend’s vineyard and winery located in the Red River valley of North Texas. It’s called Blue Ostrich and any Texas locals interested can learn more at www.blueostrich.net!

c4023d8b1ed47952e9e07f228a18a7cd.jpg

5bf1a7560333577fd9df7f5d26ee4cd7.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks Awesome! Only supposed to get to 59* tomorrow. The weather guys said 51* today, but I'll wager that it never got over 40.
Anyway, enjoy the first brisket of the season!

This is going to be a challenge for sure! I haven’t smoked in weather this cold in a long time ... at least not in April!

We need to get a North Texas Herf going so all of us local guys can finally meet! I’ll supply the barbecue when we make it happen!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, cmbarton said:

This is going to be a challenge for sure! I haven’t smoked in weather this cold in a long time ... at least not in April!

We need to get a North Texas Herf going so all of us local guys can finally meet! I’ll supply the barbecue when we make it happen!

I like that! A North Texas Herf! And I'll help supply adult beverages.

• Like 2

That looks like a slice of Texas heaven! And apparently, your four legged friend agrees! 

She’s my official “taste taster!” She’s not very good though ... she’s never had a bite she didn’t like.
  • Haha 1

Brisket looks good. I’m down at Ft. Hood. I’d love to get together and meet some other members.
  • Like 1

When I bought my first Kamado cooker I had a load of post oak and a Prime full packer shipped in for my first Brisket smoke.
Can’t agree more, Salt and Pepper and post oak is the way to go!!! Fat cap down on a bottom heat source is the way to go too!!!

Cheers

• Like 2

Fought freezing temps and wind all night with the smoker dropping at 200 degrees at one point in the wee morning hours, but the Post Oak smoke never quit and temperatures quickly rose back up with the morning sun.

14 hours into the cook I wrapped it in pink butcher paper as it had stalled at 172 degrees internally for quite a long time.

92a2828ad7e7d3e70a069d27d4f502ae.jpg

1a899423ff8e31cf50552df610a8169a.jpg

• Like 1

This looks great!  How do you like your smoker?  I have the Weber Smokey Mountain and it works fine, but I wouldn't say I've mastered it in the 3+ years I've owned it.  I should invest in a probe thermometer like you have.  

How did it turn out?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Fantastic! My only regret is that my guests were so hungry that I didn’t get to take a picture of it sliced!
  • Like 2
  • Sad 1