'Darkest Hour' Warns Viewers About Dangers Of Churchill's Secondhand Cigar Smoke

these days, if you don't put a line like that in then your film might be denied the rating it wants (so absurd) or it will be boycotted by the tinyminds who have crept out of their parents' basement for a few hours.

but the line about his cigars being unlit most of the time is apparently true, partly because the public came to associate cigars with him to such an extent, he was expected to be seen with one but he did not always want to be smoking.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, MIKA27 said:

Well there are several reports that Gary Oldman playing Winston Churchill had nicotine poisoning due to the amount of cigars he had to smoke portraying Churchill.

Approximately 12 cigars per day! [Via Business insider]

If he's not a smoker--which he probably isn't--smoking 12 Churchills non-stop during a 16-hr shooting day could certainly result in a pretty strong nicotine buzz. I don't think I could smoke 12 Churchills in a day. 

• Like 1

i would have thought oldman a smoker, or at least that he was at some stage. he had a bit of a rep as one who'd put near anything into himself - no idea if that is fair. but english, that generation, that profession?

and yes, apparently he did get nicotine poisoning. his quote was “I got serious nicotine poisoning. You’d have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you’d light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar — we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.”

i read where the budget included $20k spent on R&J. still, out of 30 mill, not too bad.

24 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

i would have thought oldman a smoker, or at least that he was at some stage. he had a bit of a rep as one who'd put near anything into himself - no idea if that is fair. but english, that generation, that profession?

and yes, apparently he did get nicotine poisoning. his quote was “I got serious nicotine poisoning. You’d have a cigar that was three-quarters smoked and you’d light it up, and then over the course of a couple of takes, it would go down, and then the prop man would replenish me with a new cigar — we were doing that for 10 or 12 takes a scene.”

i read where the budget included $20k spent on R&J. still, out of 30 mill, not too bad.

I'm still calling BS on that.  Even 12 R&J Churchills a day aren't going to give you 'poisoning'.  You'd have to be sucking on those non-stop down to the nub, weigh in at 98lbs, and have skipped breakfast, lunch and dinner. :P  But if you're just acting with a stick, puffing to keep it lit, changing it out and not smoking all the way down?  And this is R&J too, not some green tobacco freshie.  

I think he was exaggerating just to have a good story.  Probably one long day he didn't eat and puked or something and so they all got good and prissy over their star. 

Anyway, like Oldman's work, and very much looking forward to the movie.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, PapaDisco said:

Even 12 R&J Churchills a day aren't going to give you 'poisoning'

No, I probably should have pointed out that I think he was just feeling a very strong nicotine buzz. I've never smoked cigarettes but I remember the one time I tried a snus packet and I thought I was going to puke. I could have easily called that nicotine poisoning but it was simply just a nicotine reaction--maybe a slight overdose for a non-user like me.

8 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

No, I probably should have pointed out that I think he was just feeling a very strong nicotine buzz. I've never smoked cigarettes but I remember the one time I tried a snus packet and I thought I was going to puke. I could have easily called that nicotine poisoning but it was simply just a nicotine reaction--maybe a slight overdose for a non-user like me.

i remember watching a cracking doco on john riggins, the diesel. for non-NFL fans, a famous skins running back. hard as nails.

i hope i have it right in saying that at some stage, joe gibbs met riggins' father who offered him chewing tobacco. nearly killed gibbs but then he noticed that riggins' dad never spat it out. just swallowed the stuff. gibbs, thought, well know i understand riggins a little better.

in the same interview (and have seen this elsewhere so no reason to doubt it), when he had taken over the skins, the office must have told him to go find riggins and get him out of retirement. drove a squillion miles to some riverbank where riggins was living in his trailer. got there in the morning. riggo met him with a beer in each hand. they went inside and talked. riggins finished his beer and said well if you are not drinking yours, i'll have it. knocked that off as well and then looked at gibbs and said, right, now how about some breakfast.

gibbs thought him insane. thought, right i'll sign this mad bloke and see what i can get for him in a trade. gibbs got back to DC and a message was waiting for him. i'll sign on one condition - a no-trades clause. gibbs said later someone must have been looking after him that day as riggo carried the skins to that first superbowl win rushing for all sorts of records in the playoffs and of course, the famous 4 and long run to win the thing. now one of the most famous of all past skins.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Ha ha, and I recall a wee Mont 4 that turned me green once! :covermouth: Almost barfed!  So take my yakin' with a grain of salt.  I can usually smoke 5 stogies (nice CC's mind you) at a stretch without trying hard, but every so often you'll get caught out by unfermented tobacco, or lunchtime's sushi, or Lord knows what.  I'll have to try smoking half a box of R&J's one day and see what happens! :cigar: 

The “Darkest Hour” seems to be an analogy of what our hobby /pastime is going through at the moment especially in this Nazi ridden country 

and I thought they all fled to Argentina ???

• Haha 1

Good movie or bad I really don't feel like watching it now. I am so sick of the lefty PC crowd and their holier than thou attitude.

Was there also a warning about not breathing in cyanide while standing in a fake shower block?

• Like 1

This just makes me sick. 

6 hours ago, OZCUBAN said:

The “Darkest Hour” seems to be an analogy of what our hobby /pastime is going through at the moment especially in this Nazi ridden country 

and I thought they all fled to Argentina ???

It's funny here in the states the anti smoking left wingers seem to think everyone who doesn't agree with their view points are fascist Nazi's. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, fitzy said:

This just makes me sick. 

It's funny here in the states the anti smoking left wingers seem to think everyone who doesn't agree with their view points are fascist Nazi's. 

Don't forget, smoking pot is perfectly fine though.  Sure, it is significantly more carcinogenic, you not only inhale but hold it in for as long as you can, and it smells a lot worse, but who really cares about the little things. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JoeKitchen said:

Don't forget, smoking pot is perfectly fine though.  Sure, it is significantly more carcinogenic, you not only inhale but hold it in for as long as you can, and it smells a lot worse. 

Oh of course. Not just perfectly fine but encouraged. :blink:

I know this thread was initially about the health warning associated with the film, I watched the film on the way back to the UK in December and didn't notice any warnings at the start (I was already a few drinks in ;) )

Being into cigars it was great to see them throughout the film but to me more importantly it depicted the man, the history of how much of a great leader he was and invoked more in myself to want to learn/read more history about this time.

Cheers Sir Winston - V for Victory and up yours to the health Nazi's out there

• Like 1

Good movie or bad I really don't feel like watching it now. I am so sick of the lefty PC crowd and their holier than thou attitude.
Was there also a warning about not breathing in cyanide while standing in a fake shower block?
You are not going to watch a film because a health warning in the credits?
  • Like 1

"Darkest Hour," wants you to know that “there are serious health risks associated with smoking and with secondhand smoke....Maybe they should have said this...

"Darkest Hour," wants you to know that “there were serious health risks associated with Hitler and Nazi Germany...."

Unbelievable the times we live in

• Like 1