What The Swiss...

Not allowed to boil the cockroach of the sea eh?

A bit odd.... I didn't think Switzerland was on the sea.

I remember when California banned "foi gras". That lasted, oh, six months?

BTW: I'm a member of PETA: "People Eating Tasty Animals".

• Like 1

Just another way to add a new fee / tax / surcharge to the restaurant menu.  The "humane handling and dispatch" fee.

• Like 1

I grew up on Cape Cod.  I use to do clamming and lobster traps in the summer, and for several years as my sole summer income.  This is the most absurd thing I have heard.  Killing is killing...  Keeping seafood on ice is to prevent us from dying...

5 hours ago, JoeKitchen said:

If you meant no harm, sorry.  It's just that when I hear someone pronounce OOOkay, accenting the O like you spelled, it is usually meant as a mock. 

Well not here

3 hours ago, HarveyBoulevard said:

20180115_062013.png

Whooaaa - deep.  And that's the caution some of us hear from the folks responding to all these efforts to find "life on other planets"...We seem to think cute little cuddly ET will be out there, or benign Klaatu protected by Gort: but what if, some folks theorize, you find that you've just exposed us to beings who find human beings a delicacy, the same way we do lobsters and crabs? And of course theorizing too that they'd be militarily superior to us...*

10 hours ago, oliverdst said:

aparently who doesn´t have stomach it´s you :rotfl:

I'm perfectly fine with it.  Not that I enjoy, it just totally indifferent to me. I was taught this is how it is done to prevent unsafe shellfish. 

9 hours ago, GrouchoMarx said:

Not allowed to boil the cockroach of the sea eh?

A bit odd.... I didn't think Switzerland was on the sea.

I remember when California banned "foi gras". That lasted, oh, six months?

BTW: I'm a member of PETA: "People Eating Tasty Animals".

+1. 

I love foie gras and take pleasure in eating/preparing it in front those who are so appalled by it. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

+1. 

I love foie gras and take pleasure in eating/preparing it in front those who are so appalled by it. 

just assholes are against foie gras

"take pleasure in eating/preparing it in front those who are so appalled by it."

your lack of empathy is out of the books.

nothing personal but you are an aberratio, man.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, oliverdst said:

just assholes are against foie gras

"take pleasure in eating/preparing it in front those who are so appalled by it."

your lack of empathy is out of the books.

nothing personal but you are an aberratio, man.

So you agreed with me before, but now ...

I am perfectly aware of that process, and the great product it produces. 

And just for the record, foie gras is amazing not only to eat but to wok with.  There is not a less forgiving meat product.  It is virtually enhances any dish, and is a pleasure to cook with.  If someone has a problem with it, I could care less. 

One of my favorite meals was a roasted chicken with foie gras stuffed under the skin.  It was marvelous. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

So you agreed with me before, but now ...

I am perfectly aware of that process, and the great product it produces. 

not discussing the product itself. magnificent.

fortunately human race (in some aspects) have been evolving in the last centuries and ancient practices are now being banned.

maybe one day they will say: "the primitives used to reap tobacco plants to smoke! can you believe that?"

1 minute ago, oliverdst said:

not discussing the product itself. magnificent.

fortunately human race (in some aspects) have been evolving in the last centuries and ancient practices are now being banned.

maybe one day they will say: "the primitives used to reap tobacco plants to smoke! can you believe that?"

So are you appalled by the process but continue to consume the product?  If so, that just does not make sense to me. 

Lobster, Mud Crabs, Sand Crabs, Moreton Bay Bugs....

1/2 hour in the freezer before putting in the pot. If out camping then we cover them in ice for the same period of time.  I can't throw them into the pot without knocking them out. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JoeKitchen said:

it's not about the product, it's about the mistreating of an animal for producing it.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, JoeKitchen said:

So are you appalled by the process but continue to consume the product?  If so, that just does not make sense to me. 

I cant remember the last time I had it. maybe 20 years ago.

time to move on. lets smoke?

I will burn some tobacco leaves now. IN YOUR FACE, GREENPEACE!!!!

21 minutes ago, Fugu said:

it's not about the product, it's about the mistreating of an animal for producing it.

Yes. Glad to see the comments of somebody with some empathy for the poor animal. I saw some still photos of geese being prepped for fois gras...they looked absolutely miserable - quite a feat for something with only a bill and some beady eyes in a little head. But they were the picture of suffering. Yes, I like meats - a lot. And my cousin worked for awhile in a slaughterhouse. He said (for here in Kentucky) they have a combination gun with a blade on the end of it. You point it laying right between the cow's eyes, and that combo blade and projectile drops them instantly into that cow pasture in the sky. I figured I mention all that so that if anybody had to come back with an accosting 'tude I'd already beat them to the punch. Yes - if I had to kill my own food I'd probably be a much thinner person. But for the butchers who do all that work for us - I'm happy to pay them what they want for that nice neatly wrapped package. Fois gras, I leave alone.

I know it's not required for chickens or cows but we generally don't boil them alive. There would be an uproar if we did.

As the article says, experiments have shown that lobsters and crabs are sentient.

The article also mentions a stun-gun-like device to stun them first, I don't see a problem with that. They'd still be alive, just not feeling the pain or as much pain.

Most countries have similar laws for beef cattle, I think most of us generally agree with that.

When I was in high school I had a part time job at a  large supermarket.  Often I'd have to work the fish counter.  And that included sending lobsters to the steamers from their fish tank.  It surely isn't pleasant but it was no worse than boiling potatoes.  I don't believe in torturing food before you eat it but with lobsters but cooking them dead is not a good idea.  If you do it quick, it's over quick.  My boss had the bright idea to cook the dead ones in the tank and have a sale. I was against it but he made me do it.  Sure enough, four hours later I recognized a customer coming back with his purchase of lobster. He had bought at least 4 IIRC.  I didn't even argue with him.  I just asked him how bad was it?  He told me to see for myself.  So I grabbed one and snapped it at the tail over the sink.Disgusting dayglo green goop spilled out.  The moment you kill a lobster it releases a toxin in the body.  Let it sit for a while, it marinates.  Boiling is the best option as it's quick and clinical. 

IMO. If people had to personally kill an animal to enjoy meat, less of us would do it. Because its' industrialized we're spared that discomfort.  We just pick up the cuts we want and take it home.  No last look in the eye or pat on the head before the deed is done.  Sadly.  Some who work in this field are not right in the head. And that's when you see the hidden videos of junior psychopaths caught punching, kicking cattle, sheep, chickens, etc.  That poor animal is already slated to be a goner, no need to torment it before the time comes. FTR. I do enjoy meat, fish, foie gras, crustaceans, etc.

• Like 2

We use to go to an all you can eat Lobster place that would go through 1,000 lbs+ of Lobster a weekend.  What do you think their opinion on this would be?

The whole idea of eating meat could be considered barbaric in a 100 years.  "Could you believe they killed animals for food back then?"

This is not as if it's been proposed to prepare dead animals. Like you won't prepare an oxen that died on the pasture the night before....:rolleyes:. It's about a quick stun immediately prior to preparation. Like you do with vertebrate lifestock (usually, ahem...apart from other questionable slaughtering practices still existing today).

Still, I am not sure whether this is so easily done in a lobster, and there might be more malhandling than when simply skipping the animal head first into the boiling water. I still have to be convinced that there is a shorter period of neural activity when applying other methods.

Still, where I see the longest suffering is in steaming lobster, since the heated volume cools down pretty quickly from boiling point when adding the lobster(s) and the heat transfer through the gas phase is much, much slower. This prep method should really be banned on alive animals.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Still, I am not sure whether this is so easily done in a lobster, and there might be more malhandling than when simply skipping the animal head first into the boiling water. I still have to be convinced that there is a shorter period of neural activity when applying other methods.

I break up Lobster all the time for Paella and the like.  We are "taught" to put the chef's knife into they head and then cut if half to take off the tail and rip the claws off.  Old timers just cut them in half without the knife to the head...