2017 Tobacco Crop Update

17 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

Why would they put that scarce wrapper leaf on a $15 Siglo VI when they could put it on a $35 BHK or a $60 Talisman

Not the same target sticks there... And heaven forbid we'll ever see a 'Talisman wrapper' on any Siglo or BHK.

8 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

As far as where the 17 leaf is going to be allocated, I could care less. I think a good crop causes all boats to rise........

I can always deal with shortages--just make them good when they're available.

Pretty much this!

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was speaking to a few people in Havana who are gung ho on the tobacco crop this year. It is looking excellent and the weather is holding.  Planted was 18000 hectares in PDR.  Another 6000 hecta

Winnies were everywhere in Havana during the Partagas Festival in November. They've also been trickling out to online vendors, including here.  With the several different Cohiba 50th anni. releas

Ones that come in these boxes:

9 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'd have to point out that I think the real MIA cigar has been the Siglo V. Haven't seen a 25 box of these in a looong time. Not really a vitola HSA likes to make anymore anyway, so probably makes sense to reduce production on that one most. 

As far as where the 17 leaf is going to be allocated, I could care less. I think a good crop causes all boats to rise. I doubt there's going to be a reduction in 50+ RG cigars anytime soon. The last 10 years should have shown us HSA is fully committed to special production and large RG. And IMO, regular production has always been on the whole better than special production. I don't expect that to change, although it could I suppose. 

I've always felt good, large crops are vital to strain and blend refinement. When all the strains planted in every part of every finca are viable it produces a massive amount of information that carries over for many years and results in better blends, better cigars and more consistency in flavor. I can always deal with shortages--just make them good when they're available. 

Agreed, the Dahlia is unfortunately going by the wayside. The V will probably be the last Cohiba vitola we start to see rolled more frequently. I optimistically agree that "all boats shall rise", but you never know. 

54 minutes ago, Fugu said:

Not the same target sticks there... And heaven forbid we'll ever see a 'Talisman wrapper' on any Siglo or BHK.

I would agree that they don't necessarily have the same target market, but any of the group will sell quickly and completely. I was referring more to the near Identical sizes of the Sig VI, BHK 54 and BHK 56 and Talisman. With a minuscule delta of 4/64th of an inch ring gauge and 16 mm in length, these cigars will be wrapped from the same general size leafs. They may sort the better quality leaves to the BHK and the "second tier" to the Siglo line, with the rejects wrapping the Talisman? Haha 

Until I looked at this a bit more in depth, I didn't realize that these 4 cigars were so similar in size. If you add the Majestuoso at 58 x 150 were still talking the same size wrapper leaf. So if we have a couple bumper crops over the next couple years my guess is that we see another 4 or 5 special releases in the exact same 50-56rg and 5.5" - 6.5" length before we see any resurgence in regular production availability.

Again, HSA has been trending this way for a decade. The tobacco going into these "special" cigars isn't special(anymore so than regular Cohiba tobacco). Its regular production tobacco and a special band/box with a cute story on why this size is so special and rare this time around. They are clearly pushing this as far as they can. Your comment about the Talisman wrappers was spot on, those wrappers wouldn't pass on any regular production Cohiba, so why are they acceptable on a $60 "special" cigar? No wonder the reviews have been thoroughly Meh for the Talisman so far. 

I am optimistic that we will see more quantities of SOME of our old favorites as the warehouses start to fill with leaf, but my gut feeling is that well see something like a 60/40 split with New/Special Releases getting the larger share. 

• Like 4

17 hours ago, Blakes said:

You know it's all messed up when a $15 Siglo VI is now the cheap cigar in the equation!!! :rolleyes:

What’s a $15 Siglo six ?

• Thanks 1

It certainly seems to be the case that the RE/LE is the focus - hard to justify using an in demand raw material for a cheaper product when it can be used to produce a "more premium" product. 

I believe that we will see the less popular vitolas continue to be culled from the portfolio, with their leaves being redirected to more LE/RE stock. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

I was referring more to the near Identical sizes of the Sig VI, BHK 54 and BHK 56 and Talisman. With a minuscule delta of 4/64th of an inch ring gauge and 16 mm in length, these cigars will be wrapped from the same general size leafs.

Yup, got that, that's actually what I meant. It's not being the same type of wrapper 'targeting' at those different sticks (size is just that). And that's why certain regular production has become the new, the true limited...

3 hours ago, Corylax18 said:

... those wrappers wouldn't pass on any regular production Cohiba, so why are they acceptable on a $60 "special" cigar?

Because ppl in the main don't care for how they smoke.

And because, with the 1966 there had been a truly exceptional run of an LE in Cohiba. What we see now is buyers and in particular flippers hoping for a replication, irrespective of price.

• Like 2

All Siglo II-V have been out of production at EL for quite some time. The focus is on Talisman, Robusto for the Feria del Habano and Cuba's two biggest markets: Spain and China. John
I have seen boxcodes for siglo ii and siglo IV from El laquito. IV not as much, but have not seen iii or V.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

10 hours ago, JohnnyO said:

All Siglo II-V have been out of production at EL for quite some time. The focus is on Talisman, Robusto for the Feria del Habano and Cuba's two biggest markets: Spain and China. John

In the main not being made at EL anyway. And I have no issues with that at all (got fab boxes of Sig3 from three different factories in 2016)

On 1/10/2018 at 4:00 PM, Corylax18 said:

The below photos are from November 24th, 2017. They show the seedlings at the Prieto Finca about 3 days before planting in the main fields.

Just occurred to me we're well into the 2018 season and the weather has been fantastic again. And apparently the crop is about 500 hectares larger than 2017...getting two excellent seasons in a row would be absolutely incredible. Let's hope for another good 60 days. 

• 5 weeks later...

It'll be interesting to see.  2008, 2010, and 2012 were some stellar production-code years.  It would be nice to see if 2020 does likewise then.  Hell, I'm looking forward to see about 2018 and 2019, from past years' reports on farm output.

And I can affirm what Cory said - the sheer volume of Sir Winnies and a number of other goodes (double corona cabs, Gigantes, Lusi's, etc.), and the inherent high-end quality of the offered sticks, was definitely a joy to see back in November.

NSX's comment about "I've always felt good, large crops are vital to strain and blend refinement. When all the strains planted in every part of every finca are viable it produces a massive amount of information that carries over for many years and results in better blends, better cigars and more consistency in flavor. I can always deal with shortages--just make them good when they're available."

Sooooooooooooooooo very well put, and wholeheartedly agreed. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanuckSARTech said:

It'll be interesting to see.  2008, 2010, and 2012 were some stellar production-code years.  It would be nice to see if 2020 does likewise then.  Hell, I'm looking forward to see about 2018 and 2019, from past years' reports on farm output.

I'm very encouraged by the current state of production considering the 07, 08, 10, 11, 13, 14, 15 and 16 crops were considered below average or worse and despite that I think we can all agree that overall quality has been quite acceptable over the last few years. If Tabacuba can keep the quality this high with ostensibly limited raw materials then there's some serious optimism due.

I can't recall the last time Cuba's had two stellar crops in a row. I don't believe it's happened in the 21st century. Also, strains have been in flux for much of the last 20 years but recently, for instance, Corojo 2012 has been in use for 5-7 years now and these two recent crops should bring out its maximum potential. Any other existing workhorse strains like Corojo 99 and Criollo 98 will also be at full quality and potential with any newer, experimental strains producing their highest quality yields providing a ton of information for determining their long-term potential.

Great, great news all around and we should be looking forward to several years of stellar cigars starting in mid-2018. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 14.2.2018 at 8:48 AM, NSXCIGAR said:

Great, great news all around and we should be looking forward to several years of stellar cigars starting in mid-2018. 

How long is the processing? Will we see a boost of quality as soon as this year?

On 4/6/2018 at 3:35 PM, Guybrush said:

How long is the processing? Will we see a boost of quality as soon as this year?

Wrapper and volado leaf is the fastest to finish at around 12-14 months so we should start seeing this tobacco from the 2017 harvest for the first time on production from this month or next. Seco takes about 24 months to finish and ligero 36 months, so we'll be seeing 2017 seco beginning in Q1 19 and 2017 ligero in Q1 20. For Cohiba, add another 2 months to those estimates due to the additional fermentation.

• Like 2