Cuban Cigars in American Lounges

With the winter cold in full force, many smokers (myself included) are forced out of the cold and into the comfort of a cigar lounge. If I'm in the mood for a Cuban, what I have been doing is purchasing a cigar from the shop, take it home with me and enjoying a Cuban that I brought from home in the lounge, typically removing the band. I was wondering if anyone else out there does this and if it is more or less generally acceptable? 

So long as you buy something in the lounge then I couldn’t imagine them objecting....after all it’s no longer illegal to have Cuban cigars in the US (even if the shops aren’t allowed sell them) so less risk to the lounges license I’d imagine!

• Like 1

Guest Nekhyludov

Same here. I can almost always find an NC that I like, so I pick one up then smoke my CC. 

I've only ever been to one lounge that prohibited smoking anything that wasn't bought there, but even then they didn't really police it. 

Doesn't matter if it's Cuban or not, most places I been to in NYC will charge you to smoke inside if it's from outside. They want to encourage patronage of their establishment. I get it. Which is why I'll bring one from home and purchase one while there.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lounges are differ in what is accepted.  Most don't care as long as you are spending money one way or another.  I would rather pay a lighting fee if there is a strict purchase type of arrangement.  If the B&M has well stored and interesting cigars, why not take a break from a Habanos for once?  I smoke at home so lounges are rarity in my locale for me to visit.

I do the same thing and theres never any problem. I have only been asked one time in NYC to please remove the band if the cigar wasn't available in their shop. I didn't have a problem with that. I usually buy a cigar at the shop also, most lounges seem to have a $10+ smoking fee. So I buy a cheap cigar and save a few bucks that way.

Im actually a locker member of one of my local B&M, although now I dont smoke much NC anymore, I still keep my membership active just in case of any bad weather.  And no, they dont care what I bring or smoke inside, but I still buy a cigar once or twice a month just to be supportive.

I too am a member at a local B&M. I buy a stick to support them and then smoke my cubans. Yesterday, I bought an Olive Maduro Melania pressed torpedo and smoked a two hour Cohiba Esplendido while watching Forrest Gump. 

Each lounge is different, and different rules and customs apply.....like a cigar forum, familiarize yourself with the local B&M custom.

It's generally expected (at least in the shops all around my area) that if you plan to smoke in the lounge, and avail yourself of any of the services offered there, that you simply make a purchase.  That's all.

Prior to Cubans being legal to smoke in the US, it was not permitted to openly smoke Cubans in the lounge (regardless of what you purchased at the shop).  However, Members of the lounge were not subject to the "must purchase a cigar to smoke" rule, the owners followed a "don't ask, don't tell" policy in regards to smoking Cubans openly.  In other words, members have free range to smoke whatever they want, whenever they want, without any purchase rule (excepting the membership purchase lol).

Now that Cubans are legal to smoke in the US (even if shops cannot sell them), nothing has really changed for members.  Non-members can smoke them, but still, must make a shop purchase.

The general rule now, regardless of Cuban or NC alike, support your B&M to avail yourself of their lounge amenities.

My local NC B&M store is my go-to source for my giveaway cigars during BBQs and parties.  Always some boyfriend or husband of one my wife’s friends that wants a cigar but will leave it half smoked (at best) when the party’s over.  So, during the hottest part of the summer or coldest part of the winter, I’ll stock up on NCs and smoke my CC while I’m visiting.  Never an issue!

One place in Boston were sticklers on buying a cigar from them, even you plan to smoke your own cigar.  I'd buy some of the cheaper cigars and give them to the homeless (which panhandled outside near by) on the way out.

I buy cigars from the lounge smoke one then fire up my Cubans. No one has ever said anything to me. More than likely the owner has Cubans as well. I have a man cave so I don't have to smoke outside. Closest cigar store is 1.5 hours away from me.

• Like 1

I've been told of uniformed law enforcement personnel who proudly and boldly smoke Cuban Cohiba banded cigars at clubs where smoking is allowed. And I also know a law enforcement person who will remove the band on his humble little Macanudo before smoking it around persons, and he says it's because he doesn't want to advertise or seemingly "brag" about having a "premium" cigar!  :huh:

Support the cigar lounge as much as you can.  Buy at least one, if not two or more, cigars from them, even if you won't ever smoke them (give them to friends who don't care what they smoke), buy drinks if they serve alcohol.  Do what you can to support their business, since you are using their lounge.  Most have a hard enough time staying in business as it is.