FOH Mould Study

Ferrero

• Replies 285
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

The idea behind the mould study was to shed some light into the world of mould and plume.   Earlier in the year we asked for examples of both from members and then selected 10 representative ciga

Time to update the FOH definition: PLUME/PLOOM/BLOOM noun  plüm / blüm What people think are the crystalized remnants of oils left on a cigar wrapper.... but really it's just mold.

I can see the next trend: Hey guys do you think it's Candida Parapsilosis or Aspergillus? Dude, that's Penicillium ascomycetous! You're joking that's obviously Wallemia sebi!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I am a long time lurker of these forums, and this evening the thread caught my eye - having read snippets from linked posts on other forums, this has been an absolute eye opener to read start to finish. 

Thank you for all the work carried out and the results presented, a great effort indeed. 

Anecdotally, I've always assumed furry stuff growing on things is mold, brush it off and have at it... unless it's raw meat for dinner, then probably not a good idea; in that case, char it on a high heat and try your luck  :lol:

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Jeremy Festa said:

This little article got a revisit on some cool curated site again recently.

--> http://twistedsifter.com/2015/06/microbiologist-takes-sons-handprint-and-incubates-the-results/

And given cigars are a handmade product, I thought I should post this picture. 

tasha-sturm-takes-handprint-of-boy-playing-outside-and-incubates-ther-results-7.jpg.4b5c380aeb8b6b7156aaa1ddb0836d4c.jpg

On a strict graphic/aesthetic point of view, this is amazing!

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Well gentlemen, I wish we could test these cigars from this photo, as this photo appears to be from a cigar factory.  In addition, I do have some Padrons that look exactly like the ones on the right.  I always thought it was plume, but I’m gonna to have to bust out those cigars now and take a look...anyway could even the factory where cigars are made, be mistaken about plume as well?  This is such an interesting topic...

382C754D-DE9C-4902-8986-C9AD1AFC9D24.jpeg

3 minutes ago, CrownN7eveN said:

Well gentlemen, I wish we could test these cigars from this photo, as this photo appears to be from a cigar factory.  In addition, I do have some Padrons that look exactly like the ones on the right.  I always thought it was plume, but I’m gonna to have to bust out those cigars now and take a look...anyway could even the factory where cigars are made, be mistaken about plume as well?  This is such an interesting topic...

382C754D-DE9C-4902-8986-C9AD1AFC9D24.jpeg

As far as I'm concerned now, it's all mold. But that word sure won't sell cigars.  

2 minutes ago, BuzzArd said:

As far as I'm concerned now, it's all mold. But that word sure won't sell cigars.  

Man, after reading this entire topic, I too have come to the realization of the same thing; most likely bacteria or mold.  It’s kinda disappointing though, cause some of these stogies look so good with that dusty appearance.  I’m gonna have to attach a photo of my padrons when I get a chance, just for the heck of it.  Also, I’ve had some pretty darn tasty R&J Reserve, with a nice helping of what I thought was plume!  Anyway, y’all have a good one!

• 1 month later...

I just read this entire threat. I want to thank everybody so much for your dedication to the scientific side of our shared passion. Also, I worked for a couple of years in a cigar store and had a bet with a coworker that plume was actually mold. Too bad I found this threat after I moved countries.

BTW, when someone mentioned plume as the holy grail, I just imagined “Indiana Jones and the Stick of Plume” or something like that. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ever since this study has been posted, all the plume left my cigars. I used to have samples, I think I smoked them all :)

Has anyone validated/verified plume yet? The "glod fleck" pics from Grower1 look convincing. 

1 hour ago, hwgoesit said:

Ever since this study has been posted, all the plume left my cigars. I used to have samples, I think I smoked them all :)

Has anyone validated/verified plume yet? The "glod fleck" pics from Grower1 look convincing. 

Nothing has been verified as yet. well nothing except the fact that at least 99% of what some people refer to as "plume" is actually mould. 

We should be able to get back onto it in the next quarter once Steve has got a handle on where Greg left off. 

If I was a betting man I would put a $100 on the Gold flecks being flecks of foil or band. Have seen that many times. 

• Like 2

I prefer my cigars on the drier side, so I would say that the conditions that cause mold growth do not improve it... but they still taste wonderful.

• Like 1

On 6/21/2018 at 9:04 PM, luvdunhill said:

I am still interested in the question of whether or not conditions that cause mold or the presence of mold is an indicator of a better cigar. Regardless of what the stuff is, does it help / improve / serve as a marker of goodness?

I have often wondered this too. Maybe this is a stretch, but think about something like salami/charcuterie or cheese. Certain molds actually contribute to improve the flavor of such things. This is also true of dry aged beef. It doesn't sound all that crazy when you think of it this way.

On 6/24/2018 at 1:12 AM, Spanishcedar said:

I prefer my cigars on the drier side, so I would say that the conditions that cause mold growth do not improve it... but they still taste wonderful.

I agree with this as well. I do prefer mine on the drier side too, but if it did hold true that mold improved flavor it doesn't mean one couldn't just dry box after having stored at the higher humidity.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...