Replacement for H Upmann PC

The H. Upmann Petit Corona is my favorite cigar. Just like many of you, I am very disappointed to hear it is going to be discontinued. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a replacement once my stock runs out. Is the HU Regalias any good? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am trying to find something in a similar size and price point. Thanks.

Regalias and Majestics are good, but unlike the PC in that they are both somewhat rougher and not as refined or rich.

Upmann Coronas Major is more similar within the marca.

Monte Petit Tubo are a little more woodsy, but more similar to the Upmann PC than the Monte 4 is imo.

There is nothing that is exact, but there are so so so many good small Cubans, you won't be missing them too much.

• Like 1

Regalias and Majestics are good, but unlike the PC in that they are both somewhat rougher and not as refined or rich.

Upmann Coronas Major is more similar within the marca.

Monte Petit Tubo are a little more woodsy, but more similar to the Upmann PC than the Monte 4 is imo.

There is nothing that is exact, but there are so so so many good small Cubans, you won't be missing them too much.

How about the HC? I'm curious not trying to hijack the thread

Haven't had a HUCM in awhile, but it's worth trying. I'd strongly suggest the Majestics and skip the Regalias. There seems to be a serious quality difference between them, at least in the last few years. That said, I've always felt the HU No 2 and the PC have similar blends. If a Piramide is workable, it's probably the closest you'll get flavor-wise.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, SaorEire said:

The H. Upmann Petit Corona is my favorite cigar. Just like many of you, I am very disappointed to hear it is going to be discontinued. I am wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a replacement once my stock runs out. Is the HU Regalias any good? Any suggestions will be appreciated. I am trying to find something in a similar size and price point. Thanks.

They are my favorite cigar also. And no, according to El Pres there is no suitable substitute. Only option is to buy up as many boxes as you can. I smoke one yesterday from a UPE 13 box, and they have legs to go for many years. It was fantastic. And for the responses that say no big loss, if the cigar were among your favorite it certainly would be a big kick in the arse!

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, NSXCIGAR said:

Haven't had a HUCM in awhile, but it's worth trying. I'd strongly suggest the Majestics and skip the Regalias. There seems to be a serious quality difference between them, at least in the last few years. That said, I've always felt the HU No 2 and the PC have similar blends. If a Piramide is workable, it's probably the closest you'll get flavor-wise.

The #2 is pretty much identical flavor wise to the PC. But they are more expensive, and the vitola is a bit larger than my preference. I really am in love with the Mareva size.

• Like 1

To the OP - I was also disappointed that they dropped the HUPC.

Of course, I noticed your avatar. You probably already know this - - - a lot of people think the HUPC was the cigar favored by JFK. But, in fact, it was the Petit Upmann #1 that JFK liked. These were discontinued in 2002. Nothing new under the sun.
I hope you find a new favorite soon & are able to build your supply of HUPCs in the meantime.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Thanks for the suggestions. The #2 would be out of my price range currently, but I'll look into the Magestic. I just ordered another box of the PC, it will probably be my last one. 

How are the R&J, Punch, or Montecristo PCs? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

Of course, I noticed your avatar. You probably already know this - - - a lot of people think the HUPC was the cigar favored by JFK. But, in fact, it was the Petit Upmann #1 that JFK liked. These were discontinued in 2002. 

I think it's been fairly well-established that JFK's cigar was the Petit Upmann. But I have seen many articles erroneously stating it was the HUPC like these:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2879425/How-John-F-Kennedy-got-1-200-hand-rolled-Cuban-cigars-just-hours-ordered-trade-embargo-against-Castro-53-years-ago.html

https://www.watchcollectinglifestyle.com/home/experience-h-upmann-petit-coronas-jfks-favorite-cuban-cigars-brand

Interestingly, the Wikipedia page for H Upmann does indeed state JFK's cigar was the HUPU. However, it says it was the machine-made version which would have been the HUPU No 2. Also, it claims the HUPU was sold as the Demi Tasse in the US, however CCW shows that the Demi Tasse, HUPU No 1 and No 2 were pre-1960 releases, meaning all three would have been available at the time, and makes no reference to the MM HUPU No 2 being sold as Demi Tasse in the US. The Wiki statement is sourced, so I clicked the source link, and it's not a source at all. Even if it was, all it is supposed to reference is an article on about.com which is just someone's opinion anyway. So Wiki needs a proper source for this claim of the HUPU as JFK's cigar. I'm trying to find a reliable source to edit it with but finding an original, reliable source isn't easy and going to take a bit more research unless someone has one.

I looked into this awhile ago. Mainly out of personal curiosity. I don't recall the source that said it was the Petit Upmann #1 that JFK liked. He was from a wealthy family, however. I don't imagine he would have gone for the machine made over the hand rolled. Its not like he couldn't afford any cigar that he wanted. Of course, this speculation isn't proof, but I'm not inclined to spend the time researching it again at the moment. If you do, please let us know what you find.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

I looked into this awhile ago. Mainly out of personal curiosity. I don't recall the source that said it was the Petit Upmann #1 that JFK liked.

To my knowledge the main source is Pierre Salinger (press secretary for JFK), who at the end of a british TV report tells the story and says "1000 petit Upmann".

Now was he a connaisseur who knew the difference between a "petit upmann" and a "Upmann petit corona", IDK… Salinger was half french and he could have used the word "petit" as an adjective rather than a precise reference…

• Like 1

7 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

I looked into this awhile ago. Mainly out of personal curiosity. I don't recall the source that said it was the Petit Upmann #1 that JFK liked. He was from a wealthy family, however. I don't imagine he would have gone for the machine made over the hand rolled. Its not like he couldn't afford any cigar that he wanted. Of course, this speculation isn't proof, but I'm not inclined to spend the time researching it again at the moment. If you do, please let us know what you find.

JFK's cigar was machine made. Petit Upmann was not even a Mareva. It was a Demitasse or small panatela. This cigar is not related at all to the HUPC

7 hours ago, SaorEire said:

How are the R&J, Punch, or Montecristo PCs? 

The Montecristo PC is the Montecristo No.4, the most popular habanos worldwide… there must be a reason… B)

The only mareva left in the Punch line is a tubo, the Coronation, which doesn't come close to the defunct Punch pc/Punch PC del Punch… Its little brother "Petit Coronation" (a coronita, 117x40rg) is probably a better choice…

Maybe the CC guys are following the NCs, rather than taking the lead themselves. I can imagine any number of funny ad campaigns against 'donkey ****' cigars.

7 hours ago, NSXCIGAR said:

There's a danger any cigar under 49 RG will go away.

hopefully not !! hsa already did so much damage taking away my precious 28 RG and 33 RG's and now it seems the 40-42's are taking a hit

its time to discontinue the 52+ RG ;)

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

smoke other PC's :lol: or make sure you have enough HUPC's for the next 15 years (I bought a new cc-300 just for that one )

I'd buy that much if I could afford it. I think the box I just ordered will sadly be my last.

13 hours ago, Smallclub said:

The Montecristo PC is the Montecristo No.4, the most popular habanos worldwide… there must be a reason… B)

The only mareva left in the Punch line is a tubo, the Coronation, which doesn't come close to the defunct Punch pc/Punch PC del Punch… Its little brother "Petit Coronation" (a coronita, 117x40rg) is probably a better choice…

Have you tried the recent ones? I was really impressed with a 2015 box of coronations I got last autumn. Punch is one of my favourite marcas and they were up there. In terms of quality & complexity on par with the Boli PC but with the Punch profile.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dave001 said:

hopefully not !! hsa already did so much damage taking away my precious 28 RG and 33 RG's and now it seems the 40-42's are taking a hit

its time to discontinue the 52+ RG ;)

Been saying that for a decade now to no avail. HSA is hell-bent on cutting the classic vitolas with 49 RG or less since 2002 with the odd exception of Minutos. Expect more classics to disappear. The Hoyo DD, MdO 4 and SLR DC may be dead already. RAG, SCEM, SPNP, and more Le Hoyos are dead men walking. And then you have the Fonseca No 1 which is officially dead, but is apparently a zombie that is still produced but could disappear at any time.

I concur with @NSXCIGAR, the Upmann No.2 has a similar blend. I'd go for that if you can accept the change in vitola.

I would say if you like the HUPC, you will LOVE the #2. The #2 is a "next level" cigar for me. I can't wait to dip into that '14 box I just had delivered.

I was a little bummed I missed the '13's yesterday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

• Like 1