Cigar too dry

Has anyone tried smoking a cigar that has been left outside the humidor for months? Would it be smokeable? I have a Por Larranaga Opera that I purchased in France last September and I somehow forgot about. It has been left to dry outside the humidor ever since.

Is it worth lighting up? If not, is it recoverable?

Have definitely done this too, unfortunately. I would drop it back in the humi and forget about it again for a few months. My guess is the wrapper may be dry and brittle which could cause burn issues or damage when cutting. Also, an overly dry cigar may burn hotter/faster, possibly impacting flavor negatively. Something I've always wondered is how the natural oils in the tobacco are affected with consistently low RH .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Hi. It depends on what was the outside temp and rh?! 

Lets say 50+rh all the time. Just put it back to a humi let it sit for a while and thats it. Or even smoke it. Got a nice big drybox haha.

30-40 rh well... I would try to ... slowly. Start adding 5+ to where it was outside. Then month by month slowly go up to your normal rh...

20ish... the above a lot slower...  (I wouldn't bother myself. Maybe if its a box of cigars)

15 minutes ago, awkwardPause said:

Have definitely done this too, unfortunately. I would drop it back in the humi and forget about it again for a few months. My guess is the wrapper may be dry and brittle which could cause burn issues or damage when cutting. Also, an overly dry cigar may burn hotter/faster, possibly impacting flavor negatively. Something I've always wondered is how the natural oils in the tobacco are affected with consistently low RH .

^ This.

Alternatively, if the OP keeps the humidity in the higher range normally (high 60s), you can start with a ziplock and a Boveda 65 packet for a few weeks, then move to the humi for a few more weeks. But either way, the cigar should be able to be resuscitated. 

• Like 1

My gut feeling (partially and dangerously informed from smoking pipe tobacco for a couple decades) is that the cigar is a loss.  Even if you could resuscitate it to proper RH, I would wager that 5 months in open air have robbed the cigar of any intensity of flavor it might have had, and it is likely to be a shadow of its former self.

I might try to save it, as a curiosity, but I would expect it to be a loss.

• Like 3

depends on your ambient humidity.

hell,I would never just toss it.

A few years back I rescued  some cigars from a wholesaler going out of business.

His stock had been at ambient humidity for years.

I still have a few cigars from then, and they are excellent.

oliva bold 002.jpg

oliva bold 004.jpg

• Like 3

Try to revive it.  I have approximately 250ish sticks that I purchased while I was deployed.  I failed to keep up with manual desk top humidors they were in when I got back stateside.  They sat for a few years without properly maintained humidity.  When I purchased my Aristocrat cabinet I put them in there and left them alone for a year.  I occasionally smoke these and they are as good as I recall them being.  The caveat is that I live on the Texas Gulf coast where the Rh is naturally high which may have contributed to them retaining some of their oils. I also had a 210 gallon aquarium in the living which increased the "ambient" Rh.    

In my opinion making an attempt won't cost you anything but a little humidor space.  If you light it and don't find it enjoyable let it burn out and toss it.  You have lost nothing and could possibly salvage a good smoke.   

What the OP failed to tell us was the general range of the ambient rH in his house.  Depending on where he lives and what, if any, air conditioning system he has, his house might be the best humidor ever. 

I'm totally in agreement with Piggy.  Fire that sucker up and you'll probably be pleasantly surprised. 

• Like 2

@Piggy, since you love reductio ad absurdum: are you claiming that cigars are perfectly preserved in dry conditions exposed to open air?  If so, why do we bother with the expense and maintenance of humidification for storage at all?  Would we do just as well tossing our boxes in the garage, devil-may-care?

Note: I'm bracing for an earth-shaking 10 paragraph response worthy of the guys over at alt.conspiracy.black.helicopters during their Art Bell-fueled heyday in the 90s. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

... screw 'reviving it.'

So we now have conclusive evidence that the flavor of the cigar travels on the water vapor stored in it? Sorry but not true!

I have found cigars under the seat of my truck that were baked to the bone, and Isla PigFish is basically a desert!

Wet the cap, cut it gently and if the cigar is not damaged structurally, you may be rewarded with one of the best smoking experiences in your life. If damaged structurally, the cigar is toast even with water put back in it.

SMOKE IT... and then tell us how it went! I would...

Drying tobacco does not hurt it, or they would never dry it, would they??? What you risk are fines from structural failure.

Light it up!

-the Pig

I'm also in the, "unintendedly dry boxed longer, but you might be surprised" camp.  In Hawaii just a simple unhumidified desktop will net me around 50rh.  I prefer dry boxing my smokes at least 2 weeks.  Just me (and do please moisten the cap a good couple minutes before clipping em as Pigfish eluded to).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, planetary said:

@Piggy, since you love reductio ad absurdum: are you claiming that cigars are perfectly preserved in dry conditions exposed to open air?  If so, why do we bother with the expense and maintenance of humidification for storage at all?  Would we do just as well tossing our boxes in the garage, devil-may-care?

Note: I'm bracing for an earth-shaking 10 paragraph response worthy of the guys over at alt.conspiracy.black.helicopters during their Art Bell-fueled heyday in the 90s. 

We bother with the expense and maintenance of humidification to protect our cigars from extreme temp and RH changes.

Put a cigar out in sunlight on a hot day and you'll see what the extreme changes can do.

In a more stable temp and RH environment , you'll be surprised at how resilient cigars can be.

Now I'm just referring to a cigars structural integrity. If you want storage that protects your cigars and gets them to deliver the best possible flavours - talk to Piggy. 

I had a full box of BRC I bought in 1997 that was left out in my house inadvertently for months, and I do mean months. I wasn't around when it was discovered, and the person who handled it in my absence stuck them in an over-humidified environment (high 70s rH), for a few more months. All I can say is that the cigars were ultimately still good. Were they as good as they could have been? Maybe not. But they were still better than anything I've had in the last 15 years. 

O.K. - I may not know 'the right answer' to all this. But I'm definitely rooting for the camp that says all is not lost if I'm away for some reason and not able to maintain optimum cigar conditions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

... screw 'reviving it. . . . If damaged structurally, the cigar is toast even with water put back in it.

SMOKE IT... and then tell us how it went! I would...

Drying tobacco does not hurt it, or they would never dry it, would they??? What you risk are fines from structural failure.

Does the drying process usually cause structural damage ? What can be done to reduce this happening to a dry cigar ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

BTW - I'm also a pipe smoker. I've chopped up cigars and smoked them in cob pipes and liked the results. It's not the same as smoking a cigar, but I found it pleasant in its own way. If flavor does not escape a cigar with the loss of water content, a pipe may offer a way to smoke the tobacco even if the cigar cannot be smoked in the conventional manner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 2