Monte 4 or HUPC?

Just had a 2011 Monte 4 earlier today...my first from that box in over a year. And while it had some burn issues, the flavours were out of this world for at least the first half. Certainly much tastier than I'd remembered from my last venture into that box. With only 6 left, I'm wondering whether the soon-to-be discontinued HUPC might be the better mareva to order at this point, or is the Monte 4 still the petit corona to beat. Thoughts?

If you have the space and budget get a new box of both and decide for yourself. Or get a 5er of both, then grab a box of what you like the best later. I think this the best advice I or anyone here could give you. That is because I think you will get a fairly equal number of votes for both. And the real plus is the journey to your findings will be more fun. 

• Like 2

Everyone has their own favourites and no one can say which one is neccessarily "best".  I have really enjoyed them both, but they are different cigars.  If you want to experience the H. Upmann, order them now while they are still available.  But if you are really enjoying the Montecristo, there is absolutely nothing wrong in sticking with them either.

• Like 1

If you liked the Monte, wait till they pop up on the 24:24 again and grab a box. (Or more) Same goes for the Upmann. I like both, but they are different. If you just want to grab the Upmanns so you have a box before they go, OK. Im doing essentially the same, but I know I like them and will miss them. If you havent tried the Upmanns yet, I would say go for the Montes, rather than fall in love with a stick that will be gone in a few years. 

• Like 1

Not that one is fundamentally superior to the other, but...

I would feel much better buying HUPC blind; I would probably prefer the HUPC over the Monte 4 fresh; I'd probably choose a good, 3-yr aged Monte 4 over a good, 3-yr aged HUPC.

So if you want to smoke these within the next year or so, I'd suggest the HUPC. If you're aging these, I'd just go with your preference. Mine is Monte. But be sure to pick a good box, which of course Rob will do. Box selection much more important with Monte 4. 

• Like 2

For me the HUPC has been an utterly clear winner. But at this stage of its impending doom you shouldn't be forming a bond that will be leaving you in ruinous tatters. Go with the Monte 4. Or maybe a.....

• Like 1

2 different flavor profiles. One is not necessarily better than the other. Personal taste preference is subjective. Buy which one YOU like more, and don't depend on opinions of others. As with any Cubans, there will be good cigars and some not so good within each box.

you have the patience to still have part of a 2011 box.

Minimum purchase would be a box of each, and twice that if you can do it.

Should last you until the price has gone way up, and you wish you had bought more.......

I had both last night from mid 2015.  The HUPC was a more refined stick, albeit somewhat one dimensional.  From the first draw, it had a very creamy and full mouth feel.  The primary flavor was milk coffee, with a bit of cayenne pepper spice on the back of the tongue.  Occasionally I got hints of cocoa.  All in all, a very pleasing cigar. The Monte 4 was completely different.  Overall, the flavors were darker, earthier and more bitter with a less creamy mouth feel.  The Monte 4 had plenty of flavor surprises - some good, others less so. As most here will tell you, Monte 4 is subject to a lot more variation. If you want consistency, the  HUPC is a better choice. If you're up for an adventure, try the Monte 4.