How can Cuban cigars enter US shelf life?

Seems even a trickier brand band play-off than I have seen before. Probably because I have not stepped in a USA B&M in a long time.

If our crowd sometimes sees discussions about CC's available in the US, how would the shelf look with this? Are you kidding?

No way this is happening any time soon if you ask me.

CB

IMG_2804.JPG

• Like 1

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I was happiest when CCs came in a plain SLB cedar boxes, and the cigars had no labels, just a yellow ribbon. You can't smoke the box or the label, so why waste money on it?  But... the average Am

You state "seemingly now inevitable lifting of the US embargo". As an American, I can say with confidence the embargo is not going anywhere anytime soon. We in the US have a new sheriff in town, and a

I think Habanos stand to make a lot more money on the finished product than by selling the raw materials in bulk. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don't understand the question.  Probably because I'm not awake yet, even though we're in Court. 

I'd say--probably there wouldn't be that much of an issue with shelf life.  I know it will strike many here as ridiculous, but at my cigar lounge, there are only about 2 other CC aficionados--the rest are die hard nicaraguan fans.  Hard to believe, I know, but many Americans prefer 56-60+ RG cigars that are 5-7 inches long.  Absurdity knows no bounds.

Those who like CCs already have  their sources, regardless of availability.  Those that do not, in my experience, are hesitant to drop 200 plus dollars on a box of cigars--which is really the way that things fly off the shelf.  Myself, I find the proposition of buying a single CC almost unimaginable.  I certainly wouldn't pay the assuredly inflated US prices for a box.  I doubt we'd get anything that I don't already have in my humidor which I'd want to try (aka maybe a single purchase).  Personally, I think it'll be a fad for about 6-12 months, after which things would cool down. 

Long before you see CCs on US shelves, there are a lot of trademark and property disputes that need to be settled, so I think it will take years for that, if it ever gets anywhere at all. 

That said, the visuals will be very crucial. Many American consumers are impulsive and they are impressed with Bling. The packaging has to show quality and it must impress. Take a look at the packaging from Fuente, especially Opus, or Davidoff, or Diamond Crown, or Padron, and several others. The boxes and the labels are a big part of the marketing appeal.  

11576d1183951266-best-cigar-band-fuente_

arturo_fuente_opus_x_lost_city_cigars.jp

padron_anniversary_1964_cigars.jpg
cc04d20005e50fc41c6c8e1c19f0a427.jpg

davidoff-Year-of-the-horse-1024x661.jpg

JuliusCaeserDiamondCrownCigars.jpg DiamondCrownMaximusCigarsS.jpg

• Like 4

Getting cigars is different for all. Point underway here is battle of the brand name on shelves, not cigar shelf life. It is a great debate and a fun herf discussion of course.

American brands tend to add some sell talk to the labels too, and more bands the better? And the cello wrap many NC's, correct?

Here's another?. There was a while there when you could not get Punch Cuban cigars in Canada, only NC Punch back when I started this thing.

Does anyone remember that?

Of course the NC labels are cigar sex, and the trend towards big ring too.

If this makes a cigar smoker happy, more power to them. I would rather just drink two or three extra glasses of beer or bourbon, personally. :lol:

12 minutes ago, Philc2001 said:

Long before you see CCs on US shelves, there are a lot of trademark and property disputes that need to be settled, so I think it will take years for that, if it ever gets anywhere at all. 

That said, the visuals will be very crucial. Many American consumers are impulsive and they are impressed with Bling. The packaging has to show quality and it must impress. Take a look at the packaging from Fuente, especially Opus, or Davidoff, or Diamond Crown, or Padron, and several others. The boxes and the labels are a big part of the marketing appeal.  

11576d1183951266-best-cigar-band-fuente_

arturo_fuente_opus_x_lost_city_cigars.jp

padron_anniversary_1964_cigars.jpg
cc04d20005e50fc41c6c8e1c19f0a427.jpg

davidoff-Year-of-the-horse-1024x661.jpg

JuliusCaeserDiamondCrownCigars.jpg DiamondCrownMaximusCigarsS.jpg

My God... Sad, but true!

It is likely a year or greater that I have been to a cigar store! This stuff is clownish, gaudy, whore-house stuff! You see in front of you the future of the Cuban cigar as well. As long as they promote followers instead of leaders, this too, is the destiny of the Cuban cigar...

Maybe if they spent more on the cigar itself, they might taste better!!! 

Me, I would rather wrap my lips around Rafael Gonzalez, than O-Piss... At least the Padron stuff has an air of class about it.

-the Pig

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

Getting cigars is different for all. Point underway here is battle of the brand name on shelves, not cigar shelf life. It is a great debate and a fun herf discussion of course.

American brands tend to add some sell talk to the labels too, and more bands the better? And the cello wrap many NC's, correct?

Here's another?. There was a while there when you could not get Punch Cuban cigars in Canada, only NC Punch back when I started this thing.

Does anyone remember that?

Still the case afaik. Havana House is not allowed importing Cuban Punch. Casa Cubana has no such problem though.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, PigFish said:

My God... Sad, but true!

It is likely a year or greater that I have been to a cigar store! This stuff is clownish, gaudy, whore-house stuff! You see in front of you the future of the Cuban cigar as well. As long as they promote followers instead of leaders, this too, is the destiny of the Cuban cigar...

Maybe if they spent more on the cigar itself, they might taste better!!! 

Me, I would rather wrap my lips around Rafael Gonzalez, than O-Piss... At least the Padron stuff has an air of class about it.

-the Pig

What difference does it make what they look like? If the cigars are good, then I'll smoke them gladly!

• Like 4

What difference does it make what they look like? If the cigars are good, then I'll smoke them gladly!

To me, it makes a difference as to whether I'm likely to try an NC or not. I like simplicity, I don't like gaudy. I'm suspicious if a maker goes overboard on bands & boxes. "Why are they trying so hard ?" is a thought that comes to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, shlomo said:

Of course. But only the fewest and farthest between NC's do anything for me. Probably La Aurora or Davidoff, and only maybe.

To the original question, I don't think CCs will ever hit the mark because of all the obstacles that will ultimately cost Havanas money including copyright, taxes and regulation costs.

Regarding comments around labels/packaging, there's value to putting time and money into the look of the cigars to the consumer. That seems to be why brands like Cohiba have done so well and other have seen cuts, because the uninformed buyer reaches for the stick with a name and a look that stand out.

• Like 1

NC's definitely concentrate on brand appearance. As for "thousands"? Even at Davidoffs in NYC or Iwan Ries in Chicago (my favorite USA store) there are lots, but don't go nutty on brand exaggeration. Also brand representation in catalogues are not that huge.

Here's another point to ponder. Many NC brand images are based on Other... like Davidoff.

Some are British, Spanish or even elsewhere. But I small one colour band like Rafael Gonzales does it all for me- I tell you that :wub:

10 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

NC's definitely concentrate on brand appearance. As for "thousands"? Even at Davidoffs in NYC or Iwan Ries in Chicago (my favorite USA store) there are lots, but don't go nutty on brand exaggeration. Also brand representation in catalogues are not that huge.

Here's another point to ponder. Many NC brand images are based on Other... like Davidoff.

Some are British, Spanish or even elsewhere. But I small one colour band like Rafael Gonzales does it all for me- I tell you that :wub:

Agreed, thousands may be a bit extreme in most shops, except department store sized outlets like JRs. Many shops in S. Florida  8-10 boxes across an 8-foot shelf, 3-4 shelves, vertically, so 40 or so boxes per 8-foot shelf unit. With 5 shelf units in a small shop, and up to 15 in a large shop, you can have 200-600 boxes on display.

Still a lot to choose from.   

• Like 1

2 hours ago, shlomo said:

Do you realize that the cost of the box is likely more than the cost of the cigar? No, I don't have numbers on this, but tobacco is a weed, it is processed of course. And packaging costs real money!

Ribbon, gold leaf offset printing, woodwork, wood finishing, curing, designing, rejects and go backs all cost green backs!

Man, do I agree, I don't care what a cigar really looks like. But when you buy this Orleans, topless bar dressing crap, you are not buying a cigar. You are buying a box that just happens to have cigars in it!

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 2

Are the bottom ones in this post above Tatuaje? Used to like the black ones I think. And RE dressed up Cubans, lovely but pay 30-50% more for a special treat.

I certainly do once in a while.

But back to the original post, CC and NA of the similar thing?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, canadianbeaver said:

Lol race ya to revise your post brother! 

They are Illusione cigars, not Eparney though, pretty much all their cigars have simple bands along with Tatuaje.  

For the OP, as long as country of origin is displayed, I don't know if there would be a problem.  I.E., a Punch NC wouldn't have Habano on the band so I'm sure there would be a problem?  I'm asking as I'm not sure, but as an earlier poster stated, I believe there would be limited selected retailers, and maybe just LCdHs opening around.  

• Like 1