Tubes in humidor

Quick question ! And I appreciate all the feed back thanks , just been getting into cigars past year. Does boveda pouches have to work harder to maintain humidity levels if cigars are in tubes because I put afew in tubes not all and my new pouches seem to be keeping humidity on digital at 67% when before was around 70%. Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I take them out of the tubes before going in the Tupperdor. The tubes are also kept there with the lids off. - - Its another precaution against mold. ( I recently got some tubo NCs with mold. Back they went to the retailer.)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

If I am showing off the tubos, I'll uncap them or prompt the foot with the cap under it, but other than that I keep them sealed as delivered by Habanos.  I haven't had a desktop humidor in like 10 years, so nothing to show off...

What I would like to try some time is putting plumber's tape around the threads and see how long a cigar will stay humid for.  Figured those would be good cigars to keep in my car.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Daveyboy777 said:

I appreciate all of your answers thanks !lol but I was trying to get answers about humidity with tubes compared to without. , if humidification device has to work harder or not emoji846.png

The only reason it may work harder is there is more surface to humidify with additional piece of cedar (and total number of cigars).  Shouldn't make a difference...

If I am showing off the tubos, I'll uncap them or prompt the foot with the cap under it, but other than that I keep them sealed as delivered by Habanos.  I haven't had a desktop humidor in like 10 years, so nothing to show off...

What I would like to try some time is putting plumber's tape around the threads and see how long a cigar will stay humid for.  Figured those would be good cigars to keep in my car.

Do you open the tubes to inspect before putting the cigars in your humidor ?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
  • Like 1

In/out, caps on/off...  been there, done that. My thinking has shifted a couple times on this. Lots of mixed opinions on this, and frankly I can’t say right or wrong, it’s just preferences. My current preference is to keep the tubes intact and sealed. Why? I subscribe to the idea that they were meant to stay sealed in their own microclimate within the tubes. Even though tubes do not provide a perfect seal, I believe it affects the way the cigar ages - for better or worse. I equate this to vacuum sealing boxes for long-term aging, which basically minimizes the air exchange and therefore slows oxidation - again for better or worse. 

When the tubes arrive I open and inspect them for mold, bugs and to make sure they’re not too wet. If they seem wet I may loosen the caps a bit and then make a note to inspect them every week until I think they have dried a bit, but they stay in the tubes w/caps on. Then I seal them tight until I smoke em. It works for me, but everyone has their own preference, and I’m certainly no authority on what others like or dislike. So it’s all good.  
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, JR Kipling said:

Do you open the tubes to inspect before putting the cigars in your humidor ?

No actually.  Each time you slide the cigar out and back in the tubo is a chance for to fray or damage, so why bother.  I already know what they look like...  

I don't have a reason to substantiate this, but I think the cedar in the tubo is more apt mold than without.  I have seen some light mold on R&J Cedros for instance.  If this is true, is that mold part of the terrior of such presentations?  Kind of like bret on a Rhone wine; it's more acceptable given the history.

• Like 1

The new Hoyo San Juan Tubo is multi use.

Fill it with smoked meat and take to a park or ballgame for lunch.

Make it a multi-use gift. Cigar for one, tube after hours gift for someone else.

As mentioned above, the use is infinite.

• Like 1

"Fill it with smoked meat and take to a park or ballgame for lunch. "

Beaver or muskrat meat ?

What ?        :looking: 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

... more details please... I don't quite get you!!! -LOL

-tP

34 minutes ago, garbandz said:

"Fill it with smoked meat and take to a park or ballgame for lunch. "

Beaver or muskrat meat ?

What ?        :looking: 

I make this reference often. Big American market tubos, You know, like 54-70 size. But instead of ligero, try vibrato.

Sheesh!

No, the tubo does not make life harder on the Bovedas.  Like any addition to your humidor, the Bovedas will absorb or release moisture in direct relation to the rH of those new sticks.  In the case of the tubos, there will also be sliver of cedar in the tube, so total material will be a bit more than naked cigars, but probably not more than a new dress box (all that cardboard plus a sheet of cedar).  

If your Bovedas showed a quick, fast drop and have not recovered then your new sticks were either dry, or the tubos are actually propping the lid up a bit and you've got an unknown leak.

Like others have said, vapor transfer across the tubo "seal" is a bit slower, so if you have well humidified cigars (72rH and above) fresh from someplace warm and you stick them straight and sealed into a much cooler humidor then you create micro condensation in the tubos and likely cause some mold to bloom (hence the reason for taking the tops off initially).

• Like 1

That makes sense. It hasn't dropped significantly digital hygrometer is reading 67% and there's 2 72% boveda pouches in the humidor. Which usually reading 69/70% just put these new pouches in also. , and I didn't mention that I rearranged my bottom sticks to the top same time I put new bovedas in and now it's holding at 67%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk