Need Some Opinions: Fonseca KDT Cadetes, Sancho Panza Non Plus, Cuaba Divinos

Alright y'all, here's the deal:

I only have a few marcas left that I don't have at least a box of (and my OCD wants me to complete the list!). I've identified the following as potential selections from brands not currently represented in my stock:

- Fonseca KDT Cadetes

- Sanco Panza Non Plus

- Cuaba Divinos

A quick search seems to indicate that none of these are wildly popular. Looking to tap into the breadth of experience and wisdom contained here in the forum in determining if any of these are must haves, diamonds in the rough, "okay", or complete rubbish. Let me hear those opinions! :D

SP all the way. For Fonseca, the #1 is by far the best and Cuaba is just crap altogether - even when they draw for once.

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting regarding the No. 1, I picked the KDT because I seem to smoke more of the shorter cigars just due to time. If the No. 1 is that much better, I may need to reconsider.

SP Non Plus is a winner and I agree with the Fonseca No.1. If you get the right box of Cuaba they can give you a unique 'peanut butter' ride, just don't buy blind on them, get Rob's ones that he picks out and puts up on 24:24 sales from time to time.

• Like 1

I've had the KDT and did not find it too enjoyable, there have been good things mentioned about the Fonseca No.1 recently though.

I've not tried any Sancho Panza but Cuaba Divinos have been okay. I don't feel any burning desire to own a box but as singles they are good for variety.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, ElAbogado said:

Thanks for the feedback! Interesting regarding the No. 1, I picked the KDT because I seem to smoke more of the shorter cigars just due to time. If the No. 1 is that much better, I may need to reconsider.

Try the Cosacos, I had a box recently, 2014 boxcode I think, and the quality was excellent. The flavour profile was along the lines of the Le Hoyo Des Dieux, but with a more sticky 'marshmallow-esq' sweetness. Lots of aging potential. I was massively surprised by them, nothing like the ones I've had from the 2000's. I took a punt on them as everyone had been singing the No.1's praises, but the size suited me more for what I've been smoking lately.

• Like 2

I really enjoyed the Fonseca No. 1 from the Christmas Sampler, and the Cuaba Divinos I've tried were an interesting experience that left me happy I grabbed some in a box split to sample.  I can't say that either would be something I'd call upon regularly, but they would both be nice to have on hand for a change of pace.

• Like 2

Try the Cosacos, I had a box recently, 2014 boxcode I think, and the quality was excellent. The flavour profile was along the lines of the Le Hoyo Des Dieux, but with a more sticky 'marshmallow-esq' sweetness. Lots of aging potential. I was massively surprised by them, nothing like the ones I've had from the 2000's. I took a punt on them as everyone had been singing the No.1's praises, but the size suited me more for what I've been smoking lately.

That's very helpful, thanks! That would be my issue with the No. 1 as well... bigger than what I generally smoke. Might you have the full box code on the Cosacos? I'd like avoid buying blind as best I can.

9 hours ago, Lotusguy said:

SP all the way. For Fonseca, the #1 is by far the best and Cuaba is just crap altogether - even when they draw for once.

9 hours ago, JohnS said:

SP Non Plus is a winner and I agree with the Fonseca No.1. If you get the right box of Cuaba they can give you a unique 'peanut butter' ride, just don't buy blind on them, get Rob's ones that he picks out and puts up on 24:24 sales from time to time.

X2 on this and this--SP by a country mile.  Never had a Fonseca which was more than just ok and occasionally Divinos is kind of interesting but very short lived.  

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ElAbogado said:

That's very helpful, thanks! That would be my issue with the No. 1 as well... bigger than what I generally smoke. Might you have the full box code on the Cosacos? I'd like avoid buying blind as best I can.

Just had a look for the box, the code was UME OCT 14 :thumbsup:

• Like 1

can we get another choice LOL j/k the SP isn't too bad its the better of the other 2 personally I wouldn't touch the other 2 but that's just me but like others stated the fonseca no 1 is really good ( I know not on your list but maybe it would be now?)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Blakes said:

Just had a look for the box, the code was UME OCT 14 :thumbsup:

Awesome! Thanks, I think it's looking like it is more between the #1 and Cosacos on the Fonseca. SPNP seems to only be getting approving comments. Any one recall a flavor profile on the SP? Salt and driftwood like big bro? Or more akin to a monte 4 or Upmann PC. Love the comments y'all keep em coming!

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

can we get another choice LOL j/k the SP isn't too bad its the better of the other 2 personally I wouldn't touch the other 2 but that's just me but like others stated the fonseca no 1 is really good ( I know not on your list but maybe it would be now?)

Yeah, from what I hear it was part of the Christmas sampler and was well received. I'd rather have cigars that taste good, even if not in my preferred vitola, than the reverse. Of course I could just let the whole thing go and buy some more of the things I know I like... lol. :P

Tried a Fonseca #1 last weekend, thanks to a good BOTL, liked it a lot. 

Cuaba Divinos I bought from 24:24 a few months ago are great too. The shape takes a little getting used to in order to smoke appropriately, but not a big deal. It's a great distraction for 30-40 mins. 

The rest I can't say I have any experience with.

• Like 1

Go for the Cosacos. I have a box of ELU OCT 2014.  I don't think the flavor resembles a des dieux but to me it's got redeeming qualities of vanilla, toasted tobacco, and an interesting flavor that is sweet like cherry cough syrup when you first taste it... I'm just not a fan of the SPNP, it's a change of pace cigar but not something I think needs to be revisited too often.  

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, hjmclain22 said:

Go for the Cosacos. I have a box of ELU OCT 2014.  I don't think the flavor resembles a des dieux but to me it's got redeeming qualities of vanilla, toasted tobacco, and an interesting flavor that is sweet like cherry cough syrup when you first taste it... I'm just not a fan of the SPNP, it's a change of pace cigar but not something I think needs to be revisited too often.  

Hot damn! You make the Cosacos sound delightful! May have a hard time drumming up a box from '14 though haha. Hopefully the quality has remained consistent for a bit.

ok now if we are talking about the cosacos I have boxes that are over 20 years old and they smoke like a dream (cream with floral notes just fantastic)

as for the SP you get that infamous salt taste with coffee earth wood cream grassy and vanilla  its a really enjoyable stick and as it ages it really blends so well and mellows out

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave001 said:

ok now if we are talking about the cosacos I have boxes that are over 20 years old and they smoke like a dream (cream with floral notes just fantastic)

as for the SP you get that infamous salt taste with coffee earth wood cream grassy and vanilla  its a really enjoyable stick and as it ages it really blends so well and mellows out

@Dave001 Thanks for the info! Very helpful insight and descriptions. Looking like SP are going to be worth it, and both Cosacos and No. 1 seem to be pretty good as well. Cosacos are definitely more my size. for the SP I'm guessing I should be looking for darker wrappers? Anyone have any recent boxes/box codes (last three years) that they are really pleased with? Haven't been able to locate the any of the 14 codes vouched for above. With some of these marginal lower end brands I'm always concerned that they're not getting the best tobacco and it's easy to get a crap box haha.

2 hours ago, Smallclub said:

I'd say leather, wood (cedar, dried bark), grey pepper, a bit of roasted coffee… nothing spectacular but very pleasant…

Profile definitely sounds unique to anything else I have. I'm often a fan of pleasant but not spectacular, as long as they aren't flavorless.

Thanks everyone for the great comments so far! :2thumbs: