Realized a long term goal this week

Nice job! Most people in the US have zero appreciation for manual transmissions. I was looking to buy an Accord sedan with a V6 and manual 6 speed. They only offer it in the coupe. I refused to buy German. I had to go with the Nissan Altima to get a V6 manual

• Like 2

Love it, congrats man!

I have the same pride in my 2000 Hyundai Tiburon. 5 Speed, 4-banger, same deal.  I bought it in 2004 with 96,000 KM on it when I was still in Military College.  Now, almost 13 years later, and with nearly everyone I know admonishing me to "squish it" and get something new - She's still on the road, and giving me all I can ask for.  We passed 320,000 KM (200k Miles) last year, it's been with me on many Road Trips and moves across the country and back (44 US States and 7 Canadian Provinces so far!), I can't imagine not having this car.

It probably won't be with me much longer - it's going in for a new clutch (the second one I've had to drop into it), the rust accumulated from being in Nova Scotia slowly eats away at it, and the dents my wife and my best friend (in separate instances) put into the front fenders remain as badges of honour.......but I hold it as a point of pride, as a car owner and an Engineer, that it's still on the road.

I know how you feel, and I congratulate you on 300k Miles - that's a huge achievement.  Keep it running - if nothing else than to prove to folks who get a new car every two years that there is no need to be so wasteful, pick the right car to start with, maintain it properly and you can drive it happily for a long time yet :)

• Like 1

Amazing!  Does anybody here understand the metallurgy that makes this possible now?  When I was growing up, driving stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's, it was nearly always time for an overhaul at 100k (unless it was a Chevy Vega or Audi 100 and then you'd need rings, pistons, and sleeves at 40K :P )

1 hour ago, PapaDisco said:

Amazing!  Does anybody here understand the metallurgy that makes this possible now?  When I was growing up, driving stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's, it was nearly always time for an overhaul at 100k (unless it was a Chevy Vega or Audi 100 and then you'd need rings, pistons, and sleeves at 40K :P )

Have discussed this with my uncle at length.  My '37 Plymouth still has the original, untouched motor and it's all in/all done at 60,000.  Just not the same as today's vehicles for sure. When I go though it this summer I'll upgrade to a nice modern ring pack, probably some custom JE pistons (to bump CR from 6:1 all the way up to 7:1) and it will never get done again.   It just won't be driven like a modern vehicle would, and the modern replacement components and attention to build will make it last way longer than it would have back in the 30's. 

The Accord will, IMO, easily go longer.  Doesnt burn oil. Trans shifts fine.  Seats aren't torn. 

And I still love it. 

7 hours ago, busdriver said:

Thats awesome.  How about a pic of the car?

Putting her out to pasture or are you going for 400k?

Don't have a single picture currently.  Its a plain-Jane looking Honda.  White, 4 door, sunroof.

I'll keep driving it.  Its too reliable and comfortable to ditch at this point. 

Amazing!  Does anybody here understand the metallurgy that makes this possible now?  When I was growing up, driving stuff from the 50's, 60's and 70's, it was nearly always time for an overhaul at 100k (unless it was a Chevy Vega or Audi 100 and then you'd need rings, pistons, and sleeves at 40K  )

The integration of hardened and forged steel or aluminum parts... pistons, rings, etc. wearing less.
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, Colt45 said:

Hondas rule. An automatic might not have made it quite as far......

Gotta love a Honda!

My 05' Accord has 304,000 miles on it this week and it's an automatic! But yes, they do tend to have issues and some well documented ones in earlier Honda automatics. Still, I'm hoping for another 100k miles of no car payment. More cigar money that way! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, BuzzArd said:

Those of you that keep up with the "daily smoke" thread already know, but for others that don't and are interested-read on.  

Reached my 300,000 mile goal in my 2007 Honda Accord this Tuesday.  Bought the car as a seeming reject off the lot after 312 days in inventory.  Evidently no one wanted a 4 cylinder 5 speed that was maxed with every other available option for that year.  Leather, Navigation, sat radio etc, etc.  That, or someone knew something about it that I didn't (wrecked as a courtesy car and sold to me as new...?). Who knows.  Definitely didn't go looking for an Accord that October day in 2007 ('08s were everywhere already).   I meant to consider a Civic based solely on price.  But this one was on the "dump list" that sale weekend at $2250.00 below trade in.  I could have driven it to another dealer and made money perhaps....  Not only that, I managed to get the dealer installed options like window tint, mud guards etc. discounted heavily or removed from the invoice entirely (but still left on the car). Even got them to change all four tires AND add a sunroof wind visior.  Definitely drove home happy and told my wife "I'll drive it to 300,000 or bust trying".  Been putting a fairly steady 2800-3500 miles/month on it since, and Tuesday was the big day.   I had my CPE handy for the event, took snaps of the odometer at mile intervals from 299990 on up to the big 3000000. Very satisfying. Here's my shot of the big moment:

image.jpeg

Needless to say I'm pretty happy.  And, as a quick review of that Piramides Extra I'll simply say it tasted like success.  

Thinking on this, the data presented is meaningless. Without a data log of rH and temp, I have no clue of how it affected the 'long term aging....' of this vehicle.

Please, do better next time! -LOL

Cheers! -the Pig

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Brandon said:

The integration of hardened and forged steel or aluminum parts... pistons, rings, etc. wearing less.

It is not only this but tighter tolerances to begin with. We have much better control over the temperature in engines today, cleaner fuels, better lubricants, some specifically engineered for specific vehicles. Honda, as with many Japanese vehicle makers have really raised the bar on vehicle longevity as long as the vehicles are driven within their design envelope.

Driving a smaller car designed for economy like a F-1 car is not going to make it last. Taking care of it, running it more on the open road than in traffic, and getting a well engineered and built car in the first place are all factors that are really going to help... If I had to guess, you have one here that has done all, or at least most of the above in this case.

-Piggy