Leave Cigar Band ON or OFF?

Leave Cigar Band ON or OFF?  

91 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I generally leave mine on as long as possible as there can be some wrapper damage from its removal. If it happens, better I'm nearing the end of the cigar. English custom is to remove the band be

I leave it on until I get closer to it.  The odd time if a wrapper has a blemish and looks like it's gonna crack I'll slide the band to where the fault is to hold it together longer...works like a cha

I leave it on. As the burn gets closer to the band it heats up the glue so (usually) I find it easier to remove. I have nicked a few wrappers trying to remove the band before lighting up.

I always left it on but just I like the cigar in my hand without so much better. I haven't ruined a wrapper yet. I don't try to save the bands intact or anything. Sometimes it does take a bit of heat to pry to stubborn ones but I always prevail!

• Like 2

I leave it on. As the burn gets closer to the band it heats up the glue so (usually) I find it easier to remove. I have nicked a few wrappers trying to remove the band before lighting up.

• Like 3

For me it is about 50/50 or a ratio that I never much analyzed. Bands mean nothing to me, but a hole in the wrapper and binder means a lot.

Since I smoke mostly cigars that are at least 10 years old, and mostly cigars far dryer than my peers, band 'looseness' is a gauge of 'ripe' cigar. For me a cigar that has "shrunk back" and is firm and hard is the first, or at least a major clue to a cigar ready to smoke. When the bands are loose, that is a good sign!

Good topic, even if I did change it some! Cheers! -tP

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, JR Kipling said:

... a virgin in out midst. Welcome to FoH! -Piggy

• Like 2

If it very easily slides off I'm happy for it to go, but generally I leave it on.  As others have said, it's very easy to damage the wrapper when removing, and I find that they are easier to take off as the burn approaches it as the glue has been heated slightly.

I prefer to take it off early but often find it's going to damage the wrapper.

In an ideal world I would like to keep the band to stick in my tasting book with notes on the flavour profile and a score. However the book doesn't exist, and even if it did I probably would forget to do it.

On another note re bands. Has anyone else noticed that Cohiba bands seem to always tear, so even if I wasn't lazy, I couldn't stick them in my aforementioned, hypothetical tasting book.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JR Kipling said:

Yes, spot on. I do the same.

8 minutes ago, hellorockview12 said:

I leave it on until I get closer to it.  The odd time if a wrapper has a blemish and looks like it's gonna crack I'll slide the band to where the fault is to hold it together longer...works like a charm.  PS, you may want to revise the poll question, it's a bit confusing and I wasn't sure how to answer it :).

Fixed it just for you! : ^ }

I leave the band on unless it's super loose. I've had way too many issues with torn wrappers on attempting to remove early on - as with the others I wait and take it off as the burn nears the band in hope the heat will help removal.

• Like 2