Cohiba Coronas Especiales

Definitely still being made.  I have '14s and '15s but I have not dipped in to either.  Cohiba production is down as you probably know, but fairly certain '16s have been offered on 24:24.  

One of my favorite cigars, very consistent in my experience.  I like them with age though, 5+ years typically.  Younger ones I've tried have always been muted.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dflan82 said:

I picked up a 5 pack here last year with a 2014 code I believe. Had one this summer and it was one of my top 5 cigars of 2016!

I picked up the same 5-pack. I'm yet to sample one. The reason...simple, I had one with @Trevor2118 from November '05 yesterday and nubbed it down to my fingertips. I wanted to still smoke the last quarter-inch as it was still smoking as well as the first few puffs in the initial third. Stupendous! :lol3:

• Like 3

Always loved the CCE--probably my favorite Cohiba, although I am partial to the Laguito No 2 vitola. Pretty much a shorter Lanceros. I've also had some muted flavors when young but I haven't had one since 12 or 13. However, like the Lanceros, they can be outstanding. Very rich and flavorful. Cohiba was certainly pumping out a lot of great stuff from 05-08 and the CCE was no exception. I'm not sure if CCE are also exclusively produced at El Laguito but I'd try and stick to those that are and get at least 2-3 years on them. I know Lanceros production is way down and it looks like CCE is there with it but I'm hoping (as we all are) that 2017 changes that.

• Like 1

The CCE is a great cigar but like others have already said, production is down on the entire Cohiba line and the smaller ring gauges especially. I have a box from '08 that I haven't dipped into yet but it will be soon. 

5 hours ago, Hutch said:

Definitely still in production. '12s are smoking well. Year in and year out, one of my top 5 vitola. Best of Breed in the Cohiba line...IMO :)

agree 100% hutch my 12's are also smoking amazingly its one of my all time favorites as well I have a box of these from 1997, 2003, 2007 and 2012 they just age so well I wish I had 100 boxes of just this cigar that's how much it means to me (plus the fact I haven't even tried one cigar from the 1997 box yet!! ) I just cannot get myself to open the box LOL

How do you guys feel about the 5 packs versus a wooden box for long term aging? Do you see any downside to the 5 packs flavorwise?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, NSXCIGAR said:

I'm not sure if CCE are also exclusively produced at El Laguito but I'd try and stick to those that are and get at least 2-3 years on them.

I don't believe they are.  I have seen codes, both on boxes and in 5x5, that are not known to be El Laguito.  I agree with your advice though.

2 minutes ago, Hurltim said:

How do you guys feel about the 5 packs versus a wooden box for long term aging? Do you see any downside to the 5 packs flavorwise?

I've often heard that 5x5s are inferior, but it has not been my experience.  I wouldn't shy away from cigars in the 5x5 packaging, even if they have a few years on them.  I would remove them from the cardboard packs for the long term though.  My 2 cents.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Hurltim said:

as others have said - repackage them! Can't see any difference in the cigars of petaca and BN.

• Like 1

I agree with everyone as well on the 3 and 5 packs long as they are removed from the cardboards they smoke very well, funny thing is I did experiment with a 3 pack of siglo VI's from 2008 left them in the cardboard for around 6 years forgot all about it some experiment right?  LOL and lo and behold would never have known It was ever in cardboard that long guess I got lucky maybe?

1 minute ago, MasterShake72 said:

When was the last time CCE were made at El Laguito? I haven't seen a single box that is BTO, MUO or AMO coded here or anywhere else for that matter. 

I have an MEL DIC 07 box of CCEs - I won't touch it until it hits 10 years, which means i only have 11 months to go :D

• Like 3

I've seemed to notice here lately CCEs carry same code as Monte Especial 2s......coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not?

3 minutes ago, zeedubbya said:

I've seemed to notice here lately CCEs carry same code as Monte Especial 2s......coincidence?  Maybe, maybe not?

Really? I just happened to check my '14 CCE this morning...AUM Jul 14. Anyone else have AUM '14 Monte Especial 2's (being the same size)?

1 hour ago, MasterShake72 said:

When was the last time CCE were made at El Laguito? I haven't seen a single box that is BTO, MUO or AMO coded here or anywhere else for that matter. 

I don't think it's necessarily that they aren't made there anymore, but that it's only one of several factories that produce them. There haven't been many Cohibas in general made at EL recently simply because there haven't been many Cohibas made. I'm sure EL has made some CCEs, but CCEs (and Lanceros) are as rare as hen's teeth right now.

31 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Really? I just happened to check my '14 CCE this morning...AUM Jul 14. Anyone else have AUM '14 Monte Especial 2's (being the same size)?

Nearly all the Monte Esp2 put up on 24:24 last year were AUM code.  Another retailer has had all AUM Especial 2.

Just now, zeedubbya said:

Nearly all the Monte Esp2 put up on 24:24 last year were AUM code.  Another retailer has had all AUM Especial 2.

Yes, well it makes perfect sense (to use the same rollers) as these two are the only current 38 rg x 152 mm vitolas in production.

22 minutes ago, JohnS said:

Yes, well it makes perfect sense (to use the same rollers) as these two are the only current 38 rg x 152 mm vitolas in production.

Absolutely.  Probably minor difference in blend.  Little more Seco here, little less Ligero there.  

1 hour ago, Corylax18 said:

And hopefully, different wrappers! Very different wrappers!

Yes Cory of course!  I guess this is probably exactly what happens.  A whole bunch of cigars are rolled bound (term for applying a binder?), and put in a press to be either Monte Esp 2s or CCEs and with the application of a different wrapper leaf one becomes a CCE and one becomes a ESP 2.  I believe El Prez did this experiment with a Siglo 6 and a Genios once.  Because of the mystery of how Cuban cigars are blended and rolled likely we will never know how this goes.  Would be interesting to hear from someone who really knows.  

And here it is.