Storing Tubos

Recently got my 1st box of Tubos- Cohiba Piramedes Extra 3x5 UPE DIC 12- from our host. I inspected them all upon receipt for quality, condition and mold and they all looked perfect. Have stored them with the tops off the Tubos for thirty days in my cigar cooler. My question, at this point, is whether to replace the tops or continue to store them topless for the long haul. What is your preferred storage approach for your Tubos?

• Like 1

Long term aging (7+ years) I'd recommend the caps on. Less ambient air the better. Tubes are better than semi-plain boxes or cabs IMO but lack the cigar-to-cigar contact required for ideal long-term aging conditions. If you plan on smoking these within 7 years, I'd go with the caps off. 

• Like 1

I dont have a huge experience with tubes but for what it's worth i just keep them in the tubes for storage. The seals from the tops aren't perfect so it will meld with your humidor over time anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Smallclub said:

The Search function is your friend…

Thanks for the Search reminder. Just read every post in all the above threads- no consensus on caps on or off for medium term (<10 years) storage. Caps off for the medium term seems like a safe bet.

2 hours ago, FLB03TT said:

Recently got my 1st box of Tubos- Cohiba Piramedes Extra 3x5 UPE DIC 12- from our host. I inspected them all upon receipt for quality, condition and mold and they all looked perfect. Have stored them with the tops off the Tubos for thirty days in my cigar cooler. My question, at this point, is whether to replace the tops or continue to store them topless for the long haul. What is your preferred storage approach for your Tubos?

1 hour ago, dicko said:

I dont have a huge experience with tubes but for what it's worth i just keep them in the tubes for storage. The seals from the tops aren't perfect so it will meld with your humidor over time anyway.

Sent from my SM-N910G using Tapatalk

@FLB03TTThanks for bringing this post around again...I have a box of BRC Alum Tubes coming alone with some RA Superiors LCDH BECAUSE OF THE DARN 15 % OFF COUPON!!!!! LOL

@dicko That's what I assumed and will do...I know I'd lose the caps! LOL

me personally having 12 (ryj,bolivar,h upmann etc ) boxes of tubos ranging from 1998-2007 I keep them all In the tubes closed and they smoke wonderfully

45 minutes ago, Dave001 said:

me personally having 12 (ryj,bolivar,h upmann etc ) boxes of tubos ranging from 1998-2007 I keep them all In the tubes closed and they smoke wonderfully

Are you normally/always an A/T buyer? I don't think I've ever bought that many in my life.

My problem is that I've picked these up recently (exact box code, vitola and all!) and there's no way in the world I could resist waiting years to smoke them. Still, I appreciate the replies in this thread too! :D

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FLB03TT said:

Thanks for the Search reminder. Just read every post in all the above threads- no consensus on caps on or off for medium term (<10 years) storage. Caps off for the medium term seems like a safe bet.

As for a consensus in the cigar world... plume, cellophane, aging... the answers run the gamut. 

@SaintMickey® has pointed out that some learn by going to the library, while others learn by asking people what they learned at the library. Even further still, some like @Smallclub teach others how to use the library. All part of a community. 

• Like 4

... what's a library? -LOL

I trust only the environment that I create. I remove dividers, remove caps, place caps in small bag, shove them in with the tubes and cigars. Then shove the whole mess of a box in the humidor. A PLC controlled, precision, humidor!

You may wish to take all the response, take the deviation of the mean, divide it by the number of boxes you have, multiply it by the number of discontinuations in 2007, and then do what feels best for you!!! -LOL

Whatever you do, don't search 'what feels best for you.' You might find a picture of Ken in a priest's blouse and collar...

Cheers! -Piggy

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

This is a forum not a search engine.

That's a good one. Why is there a Search engine then?

Without that tool, and people using it discerningly, we would have 1 "Tubos" thread every week, 1 "Best RH?" thread every 2 days, the "Plume or mold" thread would come back every morning, the "Are CCs really better than NCs" thread would still make a proud monthly appearance, and I guess the "cello on or out" thread would still be a regular, etc. etc.

You want to kill a forum? Discard the search engine and let people ask the same 10 or 12 questions again and again…

I know at least two cigar boards where this thread would have been deleted, and the OP kindly but firmly notified. I'm not saying that's the best politic but at least it proves that it is a concern for many.

• Like 1

That's a good one. Why is there a Search engine then?

I would agree that a search engine is necessary.

I also believe in nicer ways to suggest people to use it. One could give their opinion on the question/topic, heck I mean it's already posted so we might as well reply, but also remind the OP that there are a lot of posts on the same topic in the past.

This would in my opinion reinforce the use of the search engine while keeping FOH growing and friendly.

Also in this last example people chimed in that hadn't chimed in on previous posts with new information/data and opinions. So I will still stand by my opinion that asking is better than searching in most cases for a forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 3

Thanks to all for your comments. And special thanks to Smallclub for being such a helpful librarian by searching the shelves and kindly bringing all volumes which may be relevant up to the front desk for my review. Some of us just never got along with the card catalogue...

• Like 1

20 hours ago, SaintMickey® said:

Are you normally/always an A/T buyer? I don't think I've ever bought that many in my life.

mick I used to buy a lot of them, just love the extra cedar flavor the smell of the tubes  and the protection in case of a humidity problem but no I haven't bought a box of tubos in years just basically saved them all I do have the patience LOL of aging the 10 -20 yr old boxes and my oh my how wonderful they are smoking after the 10 year age im not sure if the tubes are slowing the aging down?? but at a constant 58-63RH  I find the tubos to be aging the best even at the 20 year period!

• Like 1

14 hours ago, PigFish said:

I trust only the environment that I create. I remove dividers, remove caps, place caps in small bag, shove them in with the tubes and cigars. Then shove the whole mess of a box in the humidor. A PLC controlled, precision, humidor!

You may wish to take all the response, take the deviation of the mean, divide it by the number of boxes you have, multiply it by the number of discontinuations in 2007, and then do what feels best for you!!! -LOL

Whatever you do, don't search 'what feels best for you.' You might find a picture of Ken in a priest's blouse and collar...

Cheers! -Piggy

Keeping with your logic, then you must surely remove all your smokes from their factory boxes too?  :P

1 hour ago, clutch5150 said:

Keeping with your logic, then you must surely remove all your smokes from their factory boxes too?  :P

While I am sure you are jesting I still have to answer... not at all! Boxes breath and I can prove that with a data logger. A properly sealed aluminum tube does not.

Cheers! -Piggy

44 minutes ago, PigFish said:

While I am sure you are jesting I still have to answer... not at all! Boxes breath and I can prove that with a data logger. A properly sealed aluminum tube does not.

Cheers! -Piggy

So Ray may I assume that, for consumption within 10 years of box/tube date, you would store Tubos sans tubes loose in a cedar cab.within your humi?

Many tubo I've acquired, from our host or otherwise, have had a bit of mold on the surface of the cigars.  Never enough to bother me the slightest.  I just brush it off and move on.  

I've therefore concluded with a scientific certainty of 89.7869% that storing in tubos can lead to mold.  

After hours upon hours of deliberations amongst myself, me and I, we've determined that removing the tubo and storing in a dress box or similar is the appropriate course of action.  

No animals were harmed in this analysis.  

• Like 3

• 3 years later...
On 1/6/2017 at 1:27 AM, PigFish said:

Cheers! -Piggy

What about the cedar sleeve insert? Do you leave those in?