US political threads

3 hours ago, cellinisart said:

I assume this would be the place to complain. Even though my post was NOT political in any way nor broke any forum rules

I post about aged padrons I'm smoking last night with no mention of why I'm smoking no mention of any election or anything political not one word or hint to and its pulled?

chicken sh*t

I know what this is ken

Ive been a member/cust long enough to not be treated like that

lord spare me - this crap is fun to wake up to.

if i recall your post, it was one that tried to push the envelope a little. sure it was all rather innocuous but given the day and given that we had really really stressed to all members not to do this and given that what it does (the next bloke goes a touch further and the next bloke a little further again and then we have a mess), all i did was delete it. no one died. because it was fairly innocuous in itself, i left it at that (others have not been so fortunate).

so bitch about it all you like.

i know what it is too. a waste of my time and patience.

i think i know rob well enough to have no doubt that, while on holiday, a complaint from a member who deliberately transgressed one of his firmest and most long-standing rules is going to be the highlight of his day. knock yourself out!

and if you want to take it further with me, send a PM. i'll let you know what i really think.

• Like 3

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

There have been many a political junkie on this forum... As a prolific writer and a highly biased one, most of you likely know where I stand on many issues. After years of concealing it, a few years a

Great modding Ken  Years...and years...of experience has led to this unfortunate rule.  May of us love political debate. Unfortunately many cannot play the ball and not the man. In the end we

Enough said time to lock the thread.....I have made the decision given that Rob is rotten drunk with Hamlet (just had a phone call from both of them )  so everyone have a cigar and a drink and ta

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

morning ray. as i'm sure you know, i would much prefer if we could discuss politics but it has been proved we can't. people know rob's rules. if they choose to flaunt them, they need to cop the consequences. these are not innocent mistakes, they are delioberate violations of rob's rules. go elsewhere.

a pub can be common ground as well but if people go there and start spitting on the floor or smashing glasses, how much leeway are they going to get, just because something happened in the world that makes them unhappy.

if our fellow members were all under 10, fair enough. they are adults. are you seriously suggesting that they cannot control themselves to the rather minor extent of not breaking the rules on a forum they chose to join?

ray, i very often agree with you (not that i might say it). not on this.

A plea for leniency is all that it is. I mean mate, what if the laws changed in your country that allow people like me to carry a XXX? Would you not be a little frustrated today? You would. Knowing that, and knowing you would I understand if you maybe went off the rails just a bit, and were deserving of some leniency? Answer, yes!

Of all people who have skirted the rules my friend, you and I have gotten away with quite a lot. Neither of us is innocent of rule breaking! Locking down out of bounds threads and posts is not being argued by me. I get it! I have run a forum.... but going nuclear is excessive, that is my unsolicited personal opinion. Throwing people out as you have threatened seems a bit excessive.

I am not pleading for myself as I am, not to my knowledge, in any sort of trouble (yet -LOL). I just see getting out in front of it one thing, and making any infraction the death penalty a totally different matter. A lot of my countrymen are a little wigged out today. If you did not understand that, I wanted you to. You will do what you want with the information. As such, I am not going to fight with you about it, it is not necessary. But as a passionate guy, one who has said that he wants to see all whalers killed (when in the heat of an argument about it), I thought you might understand about what some may say and do when under duress.

My case rests...

Cheers mate.

Oh and lastly... I have not written to aggravate you further, although it does sound like fun!!! It is beginning to look like you are more frazzled than my countrymen! -LOL I will therefore not pressure you further, the compassionate individual I am!!!

-Ray 

6 hours ago, PigFish said:

There have been many a political junkie on this forum... As a prolific writer and a highly biased one, most of you likely know where I stand on many issues. After years of concealing it, a few years ago I began to meet the opposition with equal force and resistance. As a result, many of you see me as a political animal. The balance on the forum has ebbed and flowed, some times it is for me (my opinions) and other times against. It is an international forum. There were times, just as an example, that I thought the forum makeup was highly hostile to my country and countrymen. It has since changed... It will always change as some wander off and new members enter and take part. I am still here!

I am anything but an innocent party! My friend Ken here is not lily white either. We have stood toe to toe and pissed on each others thoughts in front of all to see and read. Yet I have no malice to Ken. We look for some common ground, find it in cigars and mutual friends. We have had our feelings hurt, and sadly hurt others.

In any free transfer of thought there will always be people that get hurt. There will be many perspectives as to who was the aggressor or who was at fault... Typically polarized persons will even argue about that, what was offensive and why. Understand that many are highly 'charged' today.

When people are pushed emotionally, they do many things, some not so bright. If you counted your friends that were "perfect" how many would that come to? We all have made some dumb mistakes and left our 'fly unzipped' at the wrong time and place. It is human.

There are many here today that are extremely pleased, those that have been lesser so in the past several years. On the other hand there are those that thought that their movement and mindset had traction and wanted it to continue. I imagine many are hurt and even scared today.

So from my end, I simply want those saddened today, ones that might recognize me as an opponent, that my heart goes out to you. I know where you are. While we might have disagreements on many things, did we not find our commonality in this forum and a good cigar? Have we not been able to put aside the partisan aspects of our individual lives to make a personal bond with one another, one that we may have frankly disliked if we met over a line in the sand? Now is not the time for either of us to walk it back.

If you and I have done it, gotten along, and perhaps even seen the lighter side of each other, our individual assets and value, beyond the beliefs and opinions that we may dislike... has that suddenly changed? No it has not.

I saw an ad the other night, yes as the politics were hot and heavy on the channel that I typically watch. It had an individual, dressed up in 'opponents' attire with a dog, presumed as lost. Both parties accepted the other, with the opponent with the dog with open arms. As a dog lover, while perhaps the scene was contrived, I can certainly believe in the power of a 'pup' to dampen out our inner demons and allow out the inner saint to emerge... The power of a common interest like the dog, or even the Cuban cigar is just that.

This place is the same. This morning the people here have not changed, not really. Some are happier and others are saddened. While the cigar may not have the power of the 'pup' it is a powerful tool for getting to know and respect your neighbor, and his/her differences.

I want to reach my hand out to those that believe me as an opponent, yet consider me a friend anyway, and even those who don't. I am sorry you are saddened today. Lets get past it together and enjoy our commonality today instead.

To the management here. I would like you to reconsider a real hard hand on anyone over the next few days. You Osbournes are much, much more lighthearted than some of your friends across the Pacific. I am not asking you to break up the board over our political ideas, nor even to allow us to post, but cut us some slack on the banning and the threatening... please! That will not prove to serve the board well either. Some of you guys take this with a grain of salt, I love Australians for that... You guys are some of the most open and lighthearted people I have ever met. Today is a day for some compassion. In that spirit am going to apologize in advance for those who will focus their anger at mods for censorship. It is not right of them certainly, but have a little heart please, some of my countrymen need it today. Kicking them when they are down, is not right either!

Please don't go banning people.... WE are wound up, some of us are gloating and others truly hurt. Have some empathy. Our lives go beyond this board and it is a natural place to go with our elation and our grief to share some common ground with friends. Don't rob them of their common ground!

Political differences or no, I would not want to see anyone that thinks differently (or the same for that matter) banned for some stupid thing that we do or say. Give us a few days. The emotions are really high for many of us today. Today is a day to see the power in understanding and empathy, not the day to be disconnecting those that have their feet slip. I don't care what 'side' they are on.

Thanks for hearing me out.

-Ray

If I could convey my thoughts with half the grace, and class, that you just did ... I'd have many more friends, and be an extremely wealthy man. Well said, well written and God bless the USA. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, PigFish said:

A plea for leniency is all that it is. I mean mate, what if the laws changed in your country that allow people like me to carry a XXX? Would you not be a little frustrated today? You would. Knowing that, and knowing you would I understand if you maybe went off the rails just a bit, and were deserving of some leniency? Answer, yes!

Of all people who have skirted the rules my friend, you and I have gotten away with quite a lot. Neither of us is innocent of rule breaking! Locking down out of bounds threads and posts is not being argued by me. I get it! I have run a forum.... but going nuclear is excessive, that is my unsolicited personal opinion. Throwing people out as you have threatened seems a bit excessive.

I am not pleading for myself as I am, not to my knowledge, in any sort of trouble (yet -LOL). I just see getting out in front of it one thing, and making any infraction the death penalty a totally different matter. A lot of my countrymen are a little wigged out today. If you did not understand that, I wanted you to. You will do what you want with the information. As such, I am not going to fight with you about it, it is not necessary. But as a passionate guy, one who has said that he wants to see all whalers killed (when in the heat of an argument about it), I thought you might understand about what some may say and do when under duress.

My case rests...

Cheers mate.

Oh and lastly... I have not written to aggravate you further, although it does sound like fun!!! It is beginning to look like you are more frazzled than my countrymen! -LOL I will therefore not pressure you further, the compassionate individual I am!!!

-Ray 

ray, asking grown human beings, who joined a forum knowing the rules set by the forum owner, to exhibit some courtesy to others (as these things inevitably offend someone) by showing the absolute minimum of self control or advising them that they will face the consequences is hardly nuclear. there are endless opportunities for us all to vent/applaud/scream outrage/express joy about the election. nothing stopping anyone going there. the owner has requested it not be done here. so no, it is not excessive. it is so minor that those who transgress, or advocate leniency for those who do, should bury their heads in shame.

as for locking down threads - well, this is a thread about not posting. we have to lock that down? this is not monty python (most of the time). as for deleting posts and threads and hiding them and warning people, for christ's sake, you think i have not got a million better things to do. it is quicker and easier to have them banned. that way, we don't have to worry about going through the crap next time. same situation when someone transgresses for language or something similar. they get all wound up about why didn't we just spend our time going through their post and editing it. because we are not schoolteachers and we have better things to do.

ray, why the hell should i or any of the other mods waste our day because people want to be morons? now, if i have not completely covered this topic, i can't imagine what else i could add.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Ken Gargett said:

ray, why the hell should i or any of the other mods waste our day because people want to be morons? now, if i have not completely covered this topic, i can't imagine what else i could add.

It's impossible for you to be any clearer Ken.

I would like to add my thanks to the mods and rob for the no US politics rule. I wish more of my countrymen could disagree with respect and class; but sadly, as a nation, we have lost that ability. I for one have always been grateful that I could get a break from all the nonsense here on FOH. As someone stated earlier, there are PLENTY of forums for people to scream at each other, even plenty of cigar boards for that. Don't try and change FOH into what you want in violation of the rules, simply join one of the other boards and vent your spleen to your heart's content.

• Like 4

22 minutes ago, WarriorPrincess said:

Enough said time to lock the thread.....I have made the decision given that Rob is rotten drunk with Hamlet (just had a phone call from both of them ) 

so everyone have a cigar and a drink and take life as it comes 

see you at 24:24 

Ahhh! So that's where he is! I was wondering why he didn't reply to my SMS..

1 hour ago, El Presidente said:

To put it in perspective

Number of people banned in 2016 to date is ......3

Kim Jong Il we are not...:D

and then of course, we had that egregious, unfair, excessive and outrageous banning of a mod for doing nothing more than looking after your interests!