Saint-Martin LCDH

53 minutes ago, Ole said:

Concerned about the status of the shop located very close to the harbor.

With the advance warning. I am sure she took care of her hundreds of boxes of nice cigars. However, in the best case the shop is flooded.

Any information about the Le Casa?

Carole the owner is a friend of mine and I just heard back from her for the first time this morning since Hurricane Irma swept through. She, her family and their animals are fine and in good health. The shop is a total loss and Carole feels that it will be a long time for the rebuilding as much of the infrastructure is wiped out. The main airport's control tower is gone and even the runway lights are not operational so only aid and military flights are currently allowed. I can not speak for Cigar Emporium which was on the Dutch side but right now both countries are sending troops to discourage looting of what is left. In the meantime, the La Casa in Marigot is gone. 

the news reports so far have stated dire circumstances for saint-martin.

irma certainly isn't holding her punches.  
add the location of the la casa with the marina at the rear and just the cemetery in front, storm surges/flooding was an odds-on fate.

good to hear the family is safe, hopeful for the future.

8 hours ago, Bohn007 said:

Carole the owner is a friend of mine and I just heard back from her for the first time this morning since Hurricane Irma swept through. She, her family and their animals are fine and in good health. The shop is a total loss and Carole feels that it will be a long time for the rebuilding as much of the infrastructure is wiped out. The main airport's control tower is gone and even the runway lights are not operational so only aid and military flights are currently allowed. I can not speak for Cigar Emporium which was on the Dutch side but right now both countries are sending troops to discourage looting of what is left. In the meantime, the La Casa in Marigot is gone. 

That is awful news. 

I have never been nor know Carole.  When she gets back on her feet I would love to lend a hand in one way or another. 

I can only imagine how it would feel. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, El Presidente said:

That is awful news. 

I have never been nor know Carole.  When she gets back on her feet I would love to lend a hand in one way or another. 

I can only imagine how it would feel. 

I am sure she and I will be talking over the next couple of weeks about what her plans are. Hopefully we will get together in Paris in October but obviously much is up in the air for her these days so we shall see what lays ahead. On her behalf, I thank you for the offer though. She is a sweet woman and was so proud of the addition that she and her husband built on her shop 1 1/2 years ago, which they did all in their own without hiring outside help. It used to be a shop with no where to smoke but finally they had space to put some chairs and it was very nice. I had a chance to try some Rum there last April and meet an FOH member who also lives on the island whom I have yet to hear from, and enjoy a smoke. Keep you posted. 

• 3 months later...
5 minutes ago, Ole said:

4 months later KLM crew told they drop off like 10 passangers at St Maarten airport on their way to Curaso.

Any news on the island in general and the LCDH specifically?

The Dutch side has recovered faster with the help of government aid. The French side, where the LCDH is located, has been much slower to recover. Cruise ships just started coming in during the last couple of weeks but they arrive on the Dutch side and pretty much the tourists stay there. Most of the restaurants one the French side are still closed and it’s impossible to find rooms on the French side for the most part. The recover has difficult and rule of law has only been possible with the aid of troops

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just returned from St. Martin and the shop has reopened and looks fantastic. Carole mentioned traffic has been down but they are slowly recovering. I did my part to support the shop and returned with a couple of boxes of Behike 52s. :)

3 minutes ago, khrist_ said:

Just returned from St. Martin and the shop has reopened and looks fantastic. Carole mentioned traffic has been down but they are slowly recovering. I did my part to support the shop and returned with a couple of boxes of Behike 52s. :)

Has Behike production resumed? What are the box codes that you received?

• 1 month later...
On 6/24/2018 at 10:54 PM, khrist_ said:

Thanks; very good News!

On 24 June 2018 at 9:58 PM, Derboesekoenig said:

Has Behike production resumed? What are the box codes that you received?

A certain Swiss cigar merchant is reporting that they are back in stock

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Will be traveling to the island in a few weeks. Does anyone have contact info to LCDH? Preferably a website or email address? I wanted to get a price sheet and see roughly what's in stock and what their prices are. Also, this will be my first time to St Maarten. Should I brush up on my French or do most locals speak English as a second language?

Thanks guys!

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

47 minutes ago, awk6898 said:

Will be traveling to the island in a few weeks. Does anyone have contact info to LCDH? Preferably a website or email address? I wanted to get a price sheet and see roughly what's in stock and what their prices are. Also, this will be my first time to St Maarten. Should I brush up on my French or do most locals speak English as a second language?

Thanks guys!

I used to go there all the time, and everyone speaks English.

It’s has been many years since my last trip, so I cant give you current info on the LCDH.  We were talking about going back there this coming February, so I am interested too.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, awk6898 said:

Thanks guys!

PM sent

• 2 years later...
On 9/11/2017 at 12:09 AM, Smallclub said:

95% of Saint-Martin is destroyed. Even if the cigars have been sheltered or evacuated, they will probably be put on sale elsewhere…

4 years later I guess Carole and the LCDH is doing fine.

Has the island recovered 100%?

• Like 1

• 7 months later...

I was there last month. Island still isn't fully recovered from the storm all these years later but it is getting there. LCDH in Marigot had great stock compared to the rest of the world. Carole was not happy at all about the new prices, she fears she will lose most of her local customers.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, EnigmatiC said:

I was there last month. Island still isn't fully recovered from the storm all these years later but it is getting there. LCDH in Marigot had great stock compared to the rest of the world. Carole was not happy at all about the new prices, she fears she will lose most of her local customers.

Shucks, if you can afford to live in St. Maarten you can afford cigars. There's a lot of money floating around down there.

I can attest, the stock is excellent there. Singles available for most cigars. Storage is pretty much out in the open so I can't attest to that. And unfortunately, you cannot smoke there. But it is a very nice, quaint shop and Carole is very nice.