Question about grades in 24:24

Smoker

Hello,

I have read all the stickys, watched the video, and even bought a couple of boxes from the 24:24. However, I'm still struggling to understand one point about the gradings. I'm either a moron, or.....well, let's hope there's another explanation. smile.png

In the 24:24 sale there are often selections marked 'PSP/HQ (mix)'. There are also some that are just marked 'Hand Picked'. Can someone please explain the difference to me? I presume that 'Hand Picked' refers to boxes, and not individual cigars within those boxes. So, 'hand picked' is defined in the 24:24 thread be Rob as being ''selected by myself and represent a mix of high end PE, HQ and sometimes PSP''. Isn't this just like the 'PSP/HQ (mix)' with some PE boxes in there too? Aren't the PSP/HQ boxes also hand picked?

We really need a better sticky to answer all these questions, so that everything is clear to new members. I'll happliy volunteer to write it once I understand how it all works. tongue.png

I'm sure Rob will eventually chime in, but I see it as:

24:24 - All stock is "hand-picked", ie inspected, by Rob.

Sale listed as PSP, HQ or PE - All boxes in this sale are of the same quality level; PSP, HQ or PE.

PSP/HQ Mix - A mix of PSP and HQ quality boxes. When you order, you will get either a PSP or HQ box, you don't get to choose the quality.

Hand Picked/Hand Picked Clearance - Again, all stock is inspected by Rob. Unless specifically listed, can be all three quality levels. You don't get to choose.

Ok, this makes sense. But then the question I have is, why not label the auctions 'PSP/HQ (mix)' and 'PSP/HQ/PE (mix)'? That would be clearer I think. :)

They are ALL hand picked,the PSP/HQ etc represent Rob's take on Quality level.

Quite simple and elegant,and worth the price of admission.

How long I wished to find a vendor to hand pick a box or two just for me..........Satisfaction!!

It looks like I'm the only one making an issue out of it lol. lookaround.gif But come on, for someone new, this is really quite confusing. You see different boxes being offered - so, these boxes are PSP, these ones are HQ, this lot are PSP HQ (mix), and then these ones are 'hand picked'. I still think that maybe there could be some other explanation rather than 'hand picked means PSP/HQ/PE (mix), but we need El Pres to confirm. ok.gif

I still have some questions regarding the 24:24 program as well. I've been watching and checking the daily posts to try to pick up on some of the un posted nuances, but a few questions remain.

Why 24:24? I'm assuming every 24 hrs Rob puts up the boxes that he and Ken have sampled from over the last few days, each with one stick missing? wink2.gif

Are they Cigars that Rob typically gets or has too much of? Or are they the highest quality boxes of whatever the latest master case happens to contain? I am asking this in hopes that I can time my purchases and not buy something I really want two days before something I really really want comes up.

I'm not trying to pull the veil off the whole operation, just glean some usable information. Like garbandz said, I'm just happy Rob is willing/able to take the time to do it.

My understanding of the process is that they get truckloads of cigars in. Rob goes through them all, and the best ones (PSP & HQ and a few PE) get put up in the 24:24 thread. The ones that are 'only' Premium Economy (PE) are sold in the regular way. The rest are sent back to the distributor with a letter of reprimand.

Hopefully Rob will clarify all these points for us. Someone get that man out of bed! smile.png

Some further reading...

Thanks for that. I had a look through - the last one I had already looked at. There is some good information, but still not a clear answer to my question. :( I'm surprised that nobody knows the answer!

It looks like I'm the only one making an issue out of it lol. lookaround.gif But come on, for someone new, this is really quite confusing. You see different boxes being offered - so, these boxes are PSP, these ones are HQ, this lot are PSP HQ (mix), and then these ones are 'hand picked'. I still think that maybe there could be some other explanation rather than 'hand picked means PSP/HQ/PE (mix), but we need El Pres to confirm. ok.gif

This! :)

All stock in the 24:24 sales are hand picked by Rob. Stock on the *****INT site is not necessarily picked by Rob, but are still inspected by Logistics before shipping. Hand picked is just what it is, a mix of grades. Probably not enough stock of each grade to separate them out.

To be honest, it's a lot easier these days. Back in the day of LFTH/LFTW (Live From The Humidor/Warehouse) sales, it was chaos. With 24:24, all cigars are posted at one time. In LFTH/W, boxes would be put up one at a time. You had to reply specifically to the post, check that you were first to reply (if only one box was available), then email Di to secure the box.

Rob needs to keep some mystery to his machinations, else he might change everything just to confuse you again.

• Like 1

Ok, so I take that to mean that the lots marked 'hand picked' are 'PSP/HQ/PE (mix)'.

If that's the case - no problem. I just want to be clear about what is on offer before offering to buy. That way, nobody misunderstands what they're buying. :)

I am new as well, but I've been buying CCs for awhile now. The idea of having someone hand pick the boxes is awesome. Sheer genius. Anyone who has been smoking CCs for awhile will attest to the fact that the quality is extremely suspect and has been for quite some time. My concern with buying them has always been with worrying about what I'm going to get. I've received boxes of cigars where 20 of 25 were unsmokable and can't get a return. I would venture to say more than 1/3 of all the CCs I've purchased over last ten years have been off by some degree or another. I almost gave up entirely on the best tasting cigars in the world because of this. I am happy I found this site for that reason alone.

Most times the PSP/HQ is only a few dollars more than what the lowest priced vendor anywhere can provide. As for hand picked clearance--this is a great way to save a few bucks and get sticks you know have been checked for quality. I knew I'd found the last place I'll ever buy CCs when I asked Rob to source me a box of very special, very expensive cigars and he responded by telling me his stock was all poor quality. I pushed him once more to get it as they have a sentimental value to me and he responded with his reputation was worth more than the money to be made. I'll buy whatever he's selling, and be happy to be getting boxes knowing they're going to be top quality. I venture that when the land of the free's shops flood with CCs I'll still be watching everyday for the 24:24.

• Like 1