Where to get cheap Bovidas?

Never managed to recharge a boveda pack.

i put a mugg of water in together with the boveda packs in a air tight tupperware container, 6 weeks later and the boveda packs were still rock hard.

What am i doing wrong?

You're not doing anything wrong in my opinion. This is exactly what I do and it works like a charm. I am using some Boveda packs that I've recharged 3 times over the years, still working fine. It will usually take about a week or 2 to recharge them completely. I use them in my desktop and recharge them when I start feeling small chunks in them, I don't wait until they're completely solid.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You can always recharge them on your own when they dry out if your concerned about price. There are some youtube videos on how to do it. I've done it twice and it seems to work well.

Drop them right into a bowl of distilled water and they will puff up in no time. After they've filled up, massage them gently so as to massage the chunks in them so that the salt solution is homogeneo

Soaking them directly in water tends to destroy the 2 way membrane, and leads to inaccurate packs. Friends and I have tested this method vs the osmosis method, and the latter seems to keep them workin

Drop them right into a bowl of distilled water and they will puff up in no time. After they've filled up, massage them gently so as to massage the chunks in them so that the salt solution is homogeneous again and will hold the listed rh level. Then put them in a ziplock doubled up for a day or too so the outsides completely dry out before you put them back into your humidor.

If you can, try to recharge them before they get chunky and, in my experience, they will last indefinitely.

Soaking them directly in water tends to destroy the 2 way membrane, and leads to inaccurate packs. Friends and I have tested this method vs the osmosis method, and the latter seems to keep them working properly
  • Like 2

Soaking them directly in water tends to destroy the 2 way membrane, and leads to inaccurate packs. Friends and I have tested this method vs the osmosis method, and the latter seems to keep them working properly

I only suggested this if the pack was crunchy and completely dried out and wasn't recharging by other methods.

I only suggested this if the pack was crunchy and completely dried out and wasn't recharging by other methods.

Compared to what I have spent on my delicious cigars, the cost of a new boveda is cheap. I would hate for one to saturate, mold up, or burst onto my beautiful stash, and I think advising new people to this fine hobby should be in the best interests of protecting their hard earned stash over and above saving four bucks or so.

I do recharge some Bovedas, but I am quick to replace them when I see fit.

As far as the OP goes, with things like buying new ones, that is the type of thing I try and support my local B&M with.

• Like 2

As far as the OP goes, with things like buying new ones, that is the type of thing I try and support my local B&M with.

My local B&M in central London charges a £tenner - no need for me to patronize them. I get mine online in volume from a well known vendor.

Compared to what I have spent on my delicious cigars, the cost of a new boveda is cheap. I would hate for one to saturate, mold up, or burst onto my beautiful stash, and I think advising new people to this fine hobby should be in the best interests of protecting their hard earned stash over and above saving four bucks or so.

I do recharge some Bovedas, but I am quick to replace them when I see fit.

.*******Edited*********

That's you Rye and what I do is me. I think we can leave it up to the OP to make his own decision. I've never had any of the bad things happen that you say will or can happen. Is there a reason, other than needing to be right, that you keep coming at me about this? And quite honestly I could care less about supporting my local B&M especially when I have no use for their horrible cigars or their constant berating of anything Cuban . Why would I do that especially when they charge $5-6 per 60 gram pack. Not everyone's as rich as you Rye or maybe they've had good experiences recharging and don't feel the need to overpay at their B&M every time they need a new Boveda.

Wow, un-bunch the panties! No one is commin at ya bro!

Did I type in an offensive manor, use insulting innuendo, or in any way belittle you?

No, you just chose to translate and read it that way.

Relax, light a cigar, it seems that you could use one!

• Like 1

I have boveda packs that are going on 2+ years old and work fine. Recharge regularly. Just drop in uncovered tupperware with tap water for 4-5 days, until the outer light brown wrapper is saturated and turns a dark brown. They should be about 95% rehumidified. Put in direct sunlight for 5 min per side to dry and ready to go. I just put mine on a clean patch of sidewalk on the porch. When dry, look like new! Mine usually last in the desktops around 2-3 months.

• 1 year later...

Bumping this-I've been recharging the hell out of my Boveda and it's time to get some new ones.I've tried searching options if  anyone can PM me where's cheapest right now.Thanks!

16 minutes ago, Jimmy_jack said:

I'm confused. We will spend several hundred dollars on boxes of cigars but search of the cheapest options to keep them fresh? Boveda  are pretty cheap to begin with. Spin the coin and be rewarded. 

Good point-thanks for your input ?

I continueosly recharge my boveda's. I put 2 bovedas in a small Tupperware container, have it floating in water and sealed in a larger Tupperware container. With a tight seal they charge in 5-7 days, I rotate them from charging to my desktop and wineador. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

I'm confused. We will spend several hundred dollars on boxes of cigars but search of the cheapest options to keep them fresh? Boveda  are pretty cheap to begin with. Spin the coin and be rewarded. 

Yes, they are Bovedas.  Why pay more than you have to?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Jimmy_jack said:

Every penny you saved on the accessories around cigars can go into another box of Habanos ;)