Light and mild scotch

KB24

Glenlivet 12 Year Old is quite nice for that price point and I highly recommend the Glenlivet 18yo but the price point gets higher. Unsure what a bottle goes for in the States. :)

Enjoy your weekend Sir

• Like 1

In the US, you could get decent Speyside whiskies that are 'lighter' and good for beginners such as Glenlivet 15 or Glenfiddich 15 for that price. Later on, you might like something from a sherry cask (i.e. something sweeter). In this case, try Macallan 12 or Benromach 10.

I definitely prefer Glenlivet over Glenfiddich, at least until the 21 YO comes into play.

Anyway, not being a fan of very fruity whiskies, I'd say a Balvenie 12 or Macallan (haven't tried the new NAS) would be more of a beginners whisky, at least for my palate.

In the US, you could get decent Speyside whiskies that are 'lighter' and good for beginners such as Glenlivet 15 or Glenfiddich 15 for that price. Later on, you might like something from a sherry cask (i.e. something sweeter). In this case, try Macallan 12 or Benromach 10.

I'd agree on the Glenlivet and Glenfiddich recommendations.

A little less so on the Macallan.

However, and sorry to disagree, but I think the Benromach 10 is anything but 'light and mild'. It's bottled at 43%, and viscously rich, with complex arrival and development. It's one of my favourite affordable drams - highly recommended, but certainly not fitting the OP criteria.

Patrick, you may find the picture below of some use as a bit of a guide:

post-2995-0-68766100-1443209693_thumb.jp

Thank you Rob

However, and sorry to disagree, but I think the Benromach 10 is anything but 'light and mild'. It's bottled at 43%, and viscously rich, with complex arrival and development. It's one of my favourite affordable drams - highly recommended, but certainly not fitting the OP criteria.

Patrick, you may find the picture below of some use as a bit of a guide:

No Rob, please don't apologise, it is I who should do so! I certainly cede to your expertise when it comes to enjoying Whisky. I should have written something like..."if you want something more complex in a Speyside whisky later on, try... Macallan or Benromach etc." in my original post. It is I who has confused things here! blush.png

Thank you for your guide, it is excellent. I look forward to catching up and learning more from you at Havanathon 2015. biggrin.png

Cheers John - looking forward to meeting you also.

Though, don't expect much - my 'expertise' is relatively limited compared to some of the more experienced malt maniacs here!

In addition to the suggestions above, might I add:

Tamdhu 10 (price went up a ton, so maybe not worthwhile any longer, good at $20).

Dalwhinnie 15

Glen Garioch 12

Cardhu 12

I can't tell you which of these are Highland or Speyside. :)

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

In addition to the suggestions above, might I add:

Tamdhu 10 (price went up a ton, so maybe not worthwhile any longer, good at $20).

Dalwhinnie 15

Glen Garioch 12

Cardhu 12

I can't tell you which of these are Highland or Speyside. smile.png

Half and Half! Tamdhu 10 and Cardhu 12 are Speyside, Dalwhinnie 15 and Glen Garioch 12 are Highland. ok.gif