Riedel glasses - genius or horses**t?

ayepatz

I always thought the Riedel wine glass thing was total bollocks, but my good lady and I just had a bottle of Pol Roger NV champagne to celebrate our anniversary, and thought it might be fun to compare our normal champagne flutes with a pair of Riedel flutes we were given as a present.

Though it pains me to admit it, it was WAY better from the Riedel glasses. I simply don't understand why.

Calling Ken. Please explain.

extraordinary stuff.

done umpteen tastings with georg riedel and his son and their reps and use them whenever i can.

amazing story as well.

by chance, just about to write up their new one, the central otago pinot glass. a cracker.

son max developed the 'O' series of stemless. those i don't like for wine but they make the best spirit glasses you can find.

they have even done a water glass and yes, it works. no idea why. but yes, the water seemed fresher, better. we did extensive tasting.

you might notice in the videos that one of us uses riedel and one of us does not. you are only allowed to smash so many of my riedels before you get the vegemite jars.

Seriously, I couldn't believe the difference. Unbelievable!

Must admit though, I WAS wondering about those jars...

I just had a look online at the Riedel Sommeliers Brandy Cognac XO snifter glass. Costly at $AU95 but honestly the shape of it looks perfect for appreciating the aroma, preparing the palate, and then enjoying your fine drink!

their top burgundy glass is, i believe, part of the permanent display in new york at the museum of modern art. probably around $150 to $180 a glass. not bad to buy a piece of art at that price! and you can use them.

mind you, if your doc ever says you are only allowed one glass of wine a day, this is the glass.

it takes just under a bottle and a half!

• Like 2

I've been a long time user of Riedel glasses and have various types for various wine varietals or spirits. I think the shape of the glass does make a big difference in your enjoyment of the wine/scotch/cognac.

• Like 1

Do the Riedel Vinum Single Malt Whiskey glasses compare or are they superior to the Glencairn whiskey glasses? I currently have the Glencairn.

Also looking for some nice Port glasses, Riedel Vinum Port Glasses, look nice but that price!

Do the Riedel Vinum Single Malt Whiskey glasses compare or are they superior to the Glencairn whiskey glasses? I currently have the Glencairn.

Also looking for some nice Port glasses, Riedel Vinum Port Glasses, look nice but that price!

I have both and I prefer the Riedel. I find that it cuts out the harsh alcohol and brings out out the subtle flavours of the scotch. I also have the Hennessy cognac glasses, which do double duty as port glasses, and are phenomenal.

E

• Like 1

shape is important but thinness of glass even more so for mine, used riedel extensively and have a burgundy sommelier glass but when i discovered zalto, all my riedels now sit gathering dust.

i have mates who prefer zalto. i like them both though use my riedels much more. i'd be very happy with either.

by chance, an article just in the new yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/nice-glasses

the actual story of the family is, so i am led to believe, very much different to the sweetness and light that seems prevalent today.

i think george's father worked with the russians or the nazis to develop radar (might have been with the nazis and then captured by the russian and escaped by jumping from a train as not keen on life in moscow but long time since i read the stories so possibly blurry on details). also, george kicked his father out of the company. the father had the original idea and got the old 'vote for gough'.

all that said, they make terrific glasses and every family has its old nazi or skeleton or whatever.

by chance, an article just in the new yorker.

http://www.newyorker.com/culture/culture-desk/nice-glasses

the actual story of the family is, so i am led to believe, very much different to the sweetness and light that seems prevalent today.

i think george's father worked with the russians or the nazis to develop radar (might have been with the nazis and then captured by the russian and escaped by jumping from a train as not keen on life in moscow but long time since i read the stories so possibly blurry on details). also, george kicked his father out of the company. the father had the original idea and got the old 'vote for gough'.

all that said, they make terrific glasses and every family has its old nazi or skeleton or whatever.

Interesting, thanks Ken. Max sounds like a bit of a, er, character.

As far as I understood it's this:

All tastes, sweet, acidic, bitter, salty, umami,

happen to take place in different parts of our tounge.

Therefore, Riedel have developed a substantial variety of glasses providing as many different "angles"

at which the wine "hits the spot" as there are different wines if that makes sense.

As a simple example, if you were to taste any given wine from both their Bordeaux and their Burgundy type of glasses

you will find that almost always one will work better than the other.

Riedel have committed to seriously scientific research on this...

And, I am not an endorser for them, I just happen to live only a couple of miles away from one of their facilities ok.gif

Viva Austria!

Cheers, Alex

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

And, I am not an endorser for them, I just happen to live only a couple of miles away from one of their facilities :ok:

Viva Austria!

Cheers, Alex

Kufstein?

Kufstein?

Schneegattern,

used to be one of their factories, now sadly degraded to an outlet.

Have 2 of these and about 10 glencairne glasses. I prefer the glencairne glasses though. The reidels get used typically by accident when I don't pay attention to what glass I'm getting.

• 4 weeks later...

I just had a look online at the Riedel Sommeliers Brandy Cognac XO snifter glass. Costly at $AU95 but honestly the shape of it looks perfect for appreciating the aroma, preparing the palate, and then enjoying your fine drink!

I was lucky enough to be in the eastern suburbs of Sydney on Thursday so I popped into Peter's of Kensington. I was fortunate enough to pick up a Riedel Sommeliers Cognac XO snifter glass at 25% off ($AU74). This glass is hand blown and I can tell you the thinness of it near the top of the stem makes a big difference in warming up the cognac in your hand. And of course, the snifter is perfect for preparing the palate for sipping!

post-23478-0-14965100-1442030148_thumb.j

I was lucky enough to be in the eastern suburbs of Sydney on Thursday so I popped into Peter's of Kensington. I was fortunate enough to pick up a Riedel Sommeliers Cognac XO snifter glass at 25% off ($AU74). This glass is hand blown and I can tell you the thinness of it near the top of the stem makes a big difference in warming up the cognac in your hand. And of course, the snifter is perfect for preparing the palate for sipping!

attachicon.gif2015-09-11 18.43.05.jpg

brilliant glasses.

must say i used to buy all manner of things from peter's but i discovered that as soon as there is a problem they do not want to know. some of the absolutely worst customer service i have ever encountered. will not shop with them ever again.

• Like 1