Recommend me a Bourbon please

Webbo

I am normally a single malt drinker (as a Brit should be) but thanks to recommendations on here I have found a couple of rums I love (Plantation XO and Dip ER) and now I'd like to find a Bourbon. The profile I'm after is Sweet/Caramel/Toffee/Butterscotch, what would our bourbon fans suggest please.

You might have trouble finding that exact profile in bourbon... In any event Blanton's is a bit on the pricier side but is absolutely delicious, classic sweet oaky/vanilla flavor. Buffalo Trace is a bit less refined but has a similar profile as well. Good luck!

• Like 2

You might have trouble finding that exact profile in bourbon... In any event Blanton's is a bit on the pricier side but is absolutely delicious, classic sweet oaky/vanilla flavor. Buffalo Trace is a bit less refined but has a similar profile as well. Good luck!

Yep!!

I second what zrotfus has written in regards to those flavour profiles. I quite like my bourbon and my 'go to' bourbon is Blanton's, so I also concur with zrotfus' suggestion.

Living in KY - the home of bourbon - I have a pretty decent sized collection of bourbon and a fair amount of knowledge on the product. If you're looking for something on the sweeter side, I would recommend trying a wheated bourbon first. Something like Larceny, Makers Mark or even Old Weller Antique 107 if you can find it. I would also suggest Elijah Craig 12 year - great value - or a single barrel version of Four Roses though they have about a dozen different mashbills that can get somewhat confusing. If you're a scotch drinker, Jeffersons Aged at Ocean voyage 3 would be an easy transition. The wonderful world of bourbon, to me, can be as slippery a slope as the cigar hobby that we all love. Enjoy the ride!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4

I second this Blanton's is amazing. My go to bourbon.1792 Ridgemont Reserve is also one that I keep regularly in stock.

• Like 2

I'll second the Elijah Craig 12 recommendation. Very sweet bourbon, a lot of caramel flavor.

The other one I would suggest is Four Roses single barrel.

The only bourbon that I know of that has a distinct butterscotch flavor is the old National Distiller's iteration of Old Grand-Dad. The current one is not like that.

Bookers, Bakers, etc are all good, but a lot of them also come from a lot of the same distillery. Pappy Van Winkle is great, but overpriced/hyped and if you do find it, be prepared to pay beyond top dollar for it. I do recommend Oyo Michelone Reserve, partially cause it's local to me and I love it, and also cause my friend is the co-owner and head distiller. He also gets it honest as his grandfather was a moonshiner for years. Also one caveat is watch your point of origin for the product. This article gives you some good info on it.

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/07/28/your-craft-whiskey-is-probably-from-a-factory-distillery-in-indiana.html

Lots of spirits are like this. Grey Goose started this way...

• Like 1

After trying quite a few I have settled on George Dickel #12 as my current favorite

A wise choice...yet this wonderful Tennessee Whiskey is relatively unknown (outside of the States) in comparison to Jack Daniel's. George Dickel Superior No. 12 Brand is one of my favourite whiskies too. ok.gif

• Like 1

I second this Blanton's is amazing. My go to bourbon.1792 Ridgemont Reserve is also one that I keep regularly in stock.

If you want toffee and butterscotch, I also recommend 1792 Ridgement Reserve. Right now, I feel like it is a well kept secret. It's affordable, available, and very easy to drink.

A wise choice...yet this wonderful Tennessee Whiskey is relatively unknown 9outside of the States) in comparison to Jack Daniel's. George Dickel Superior No. 12 Brand is one of my favourite whiskies too. ok.gif

Although technically neither are bourbon the George Dickel #12 is a fine Whisky.

• Like 1

Although technically neither are bourbon the George Dickel #12 is a fine Whisky.

Well there you go, I didn't pick up on the difference but I'll check it out. Always interesting to learn about this. Cheers

Actually, both Dickel and JD are bourbon. They advertise as Tennessee Whiskey because of the Lincoln County process, where the whiskey is chill-filtered through charcoal, but that does not disqualify them to be straight Tennessee bourbon whiskey.

They are both unadulterated, barreled in new charred oak barrels for a minimum of 4 years, contain at least 51% corn, and bottled in the same state as they were distilled.

Oh, and it's whiskey, with an "e."

Actually, both Dickel and JD are bourbon. They advertise as Tennessee Whiskey because of the Lincoln County process, where the whiskey is chill-filtered through charcoal, but that does not disqualify them to be straight Tennessee bourbon whiskey.

They are both unadulterated, barreled in new charred oak barrels for a minimum of 4 years, contain at least 51% corn, and bottled in the same state as they were distilled.

Oh, and it's whiskey, with an "e."

In most circles the charcoal filter process would disqualify them from being classified as a straight Bourbon. Although they do meet the general rules of a bourbon, the regional denomination issue makes it a bit confusing and thus a bit of a hybrid. If you also consider that other distillers that use the charcoal filter process do call themselves bourbon it all makes it even more muddled.

In the end it really comes down to how they wish to be perceived. The JD website insists that they are not a bourbon so I defer to their preference on this

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

As for the spelling of Whisky check out a bottle of Dickel and see how they spell it. They use the old Scottish spelling so I dropped the "e" intentionally.

In most circles the charcoal filter process would disqualify them from being classified as a straight Bourbon. Although they do meet the general rules of a bourbon, the regional denomination issue makes it a bit confusing and thus a bit of a hybrid. If you also consider that other distillers that use the charcoal filter process do call themselves bourbon it all makes it even more muddled.

In the end it really comes down to how they wish to be perceived. The JD website insists that they are not a bourbon so I defer to their preference on this

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

As for the spelling of Whisky check out a bottle of Dickel and see how they spell it. They use the old Scottish spelling so I dropped the "e" intentionally.

Just to be clear, you originally stated that Dickel and JD are not technically bourbon. That is simply not true. Legally, it can be called Tennessee straight bourbon whiskey, not just bourbon.

There is an actual legal definition of what can and cannot be called bourbon, it's not tradition or what circles you circulate within that determines the definition.

My mistake on how Dickel spells whisk(e)y. That's unusual for an American product.

Just to be clear, you originally stated that Dickel and JD are not technically bourbon. That is simply not true. Legally, it can be called Tennessee straight bourbon whiskey, not just bourbon.

There is an actual legal definition of what can and cannot be called bourbon, it's not tradition or what circles you circulate within that determines the definition.

My mistake on how Dickel spells whisk(e)y. That's unusual for an American product.

I am aware of the bourbon rules and I think we can debate the bourbon naming protocol issue for a while so better to simply move on from this.

You are correct it is quite unusual for the different spelling, although Maker's Mark also spells it the Scottish way.