Recommend me a Bourbon please

Webbo

From memory it explains on the bottle (12) why dickel chose to use the Scottish spelling.

I had to get my bottle out and have a look for myself. It actually has a lot to say!

post-23478-0-35531100-1433546025_thumb.jpost-23478-0-35651600-1433546023_thumb.jpost-23478-0-27505000-1433546027_thumb.jpost-23478-0-26749300-1433546021_thumb.j

nice pics thanks John for that. Makes me want to pour a glass of it.

My pleasure, Tom!

How much do they charge for it in Oz? It is CAD $40 Here.

Slightly higher taxes here, plus extra cost from shipping due to distance I'd say. $AU55

Used to be around $50 $55 aud, haven't bought any lately though.

My mistake on the bottle info must be off the website.

No worries, your post prompted me to actually read the labelling around one of my favourite drinks for the first time!

Jack Daniels Gentleman Jack to me has a HUGE vanilla taste. Although I think I drank it with a cigar, immediately following a large meal and lots of Eagle Rare old fashioneds, so that could have been a random thing.

I really like Woodford reserve - that's what I would recommend. Elijah Craig is "good value" (tasty, strong, won't break the bank). But Jack and Makers Mark are really good too.

Hi,

In addition to Elijah Craig 12yo, I think that Evan Williams Single barrel, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare 10yo and Four Roses Small Batch are also great values... and I'll never say no to a good Woodford Reserve.

For mixing; Benchmark No. 8 makes decent Old Fashioned!

Cheers!!

• 2 weeks later...

In most circles the charcoal filter process would disqualify them from being classified as a straight Bourbon. Although they do meet the general rules of a bourbon, the regional denomination issue makes it a bit confusing and thus a bit of a hybrid. If you also consider that other distillers that use the charcoal filter process do call themselves bourbon it all makes it even more muddled.

In the end it really comes down to how they wish to be perceived. The JD website insists that they are not a bourbon so I defer to their preference on this

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

As for the spelling of Whisky check out a bottle of Dickel and see how they spell it. They use the old Scottish spelling so I dropped the "e" intentionally.

In most circles the charcoal filter process would disqualify them from being classified as a straight Bourbon. Although they do meet the general rules of a bourbon, the regional denomination issue makes it a bit confusing and thus a bit of a hybrid. If you also consider that other distillers that use the charcoal filter process do call themselves bourbon it all makes it even more muddled.

In the end it really comes down to how they wish to be perceived. The JD website insists that they are not a bourbon so I defer to their preference on this

http://www.jackdaniels.com/faqs

As for the spelling of Whisky check out a bottle of Dickel and see how they spell it. They use the old Scottish spelling so I dropped the "e" intentionally.

Just picked up a few bottles of the Jefferson's Reserve Very Old (single barrels from Cork 'N Bottle and Party Source, both in Newport, KY), I think this falls within you description, as both are among the more sweet bourbons I've had (butterscotch, brown sugar, vanilla, raisins). My "go to" bourbon has been Antique Weller 107 for years, but since that has been unavailable (even in KY) for a year or more, I've had to branch out.

• 1 month later...

WILD TURKEY MASTER'S KEEP

masters-keep.jpg

When a legendary distiller like Jimmy Russell steps down, it's wise to keep the master distiller role in the family. Wild Turkey Master's Keep is an homage from Jimmy's son Eddie, the new master distiller, to his father — who may be stepping aside, but still remains active at the distillery, and even with this bourbon. Master's Keep is a 17 year old whiskey that was aged in both stone warehouses of another distillery that Wild Turkey used when they were low on space, as well as the wooden warehouses that helped make Turkey famous. It's a smooth, unique sip that weighs in at a very approachable 86.8 proof.

post-26459-0-71059500-1438650656_thumb.j

Four Roses small batch has been my go to lately but bourbon is my drink of choice and i keep a few on the bar at all times. Even had the pleasure of Pappy van Winkle from time to time. keep the standard Beams, JD. 4 roses etc in the cabinet.

• Like 1