Thoughts on the Cohiba Lancero?

When I first began smoking cigars in earnest, I was drawn to the larger ring gauges, 50,52,54 etc. This is predominantly what I was seeing in the NC realm and I gave it no thoughts otherwise. Looking back, I almost feel as though I was conditioned to perceive smaller ring gauge cigars as inferior.

This all changed for me when a local tobacconist I was chatting with pulled an obscure stick from the walk-in to light up in about 2010. It was a Illusione Holy Lance. My interest was piqued as I noted that here was man with the run of the place smoking this long skinny cigar. Taking a chance I decided to purchase one and put it in my humi. After some time, I took it over to a buddy's house who smokes cigarettes. Knowing we would sit by a fire pit, drink scotch and bulls*** all night, I took the Lancero figuring it would at least last a while. Lighting up that cigar changed everything. The sheer elegance, the way the favors come on and the attention the Lancero demands of you to smoke well had me hooked. Since then I've added numerous lanceros to my stash but have always been curious about the granddaddy of them all, the Cohiba.

Are any of you out there regular Cohiba Lancero (Lauguito #1) smokers? What is it that draws you to this stick? I've read that this is one of those sticks that rewards the patient and punishes the reckless. Do you find that they need significant aging and is the quality still there? I understand that it is a difficult stick to roll and prone the poor draw/plugging. I'm trying to learn more before deciding to purchase my first sticks. It seems impossible to find any format other than 25's which is a tough commitment for me seeing as how I have so many other things I want to add and the prices are on the upper end.

Funny, I was just thinking about this cigar on the bus ride into work. It is also one of my bucket list boxes that I will eventually need to acquire but a box with the older bands, not these new ones. I have heard these need age just like all Cohibas but Im curious to read peoples response on this cigar on how they are smoking now and how will they develop with age. It would be nice having a whole box but the price is in fact steep. maybe a split with a few members would be a good idea.

Haven't had the Cohiba Lancero but would love to try them the holy lance was also my first Lancero and I enjoyed it tremendously I always avoided lanceros myself. Maybe there could be a split worked out in the future as the box price is out of my current budget as well. My $.02

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Excellent cigar that everyone should try. I'm sure you can find some older 5 count Petacas laying around somewhere if age concerns you. They do need to age though many are quite good fresh. The Cuban lancero is a rare bird. Only this and the Montecristo Especial No 1 still exist. (Also an excellent cigar BTW). The CoLa is not cheap but it is a worthwhile cigar. It's a smoke you "sip" slowly to get all the nuances from it.

The Lancero is one of my favorite cigars. When it is good, it is absolutely stunning. Elegance, flavor intensity as well as subtle flavor changes, it has everything I like.

Also I have to say, the small ring gauges are growing on me over the years. I recently purchased a box of (and tried a good few already) La Gloria Cubana Medaille D'Or No 4. I've underestimated that one for a while, but not anymore.

The only problem I see with small ring gauges is, they tend to have tight draw problems more often than their bigger sisters. Also, Cuba seem to produce less and less of those because everyone wants fat ladies nowadays.

I like and smoke Cohiba Lancero. However I can't help you out with recent productions since I've been smoking from a 05 box which is more than fantastic. No plugs, no wind tunnels just crazy good sticks. Hope it will stay like that.

They can be utterly fantastic. Gotta age them and can't smoke them to fast. Sip rather than chug. Monte Especial is pretty great as well and not as dear as the Cohiba.

Smoked one in Havana at the hotel natiinal. Started outside and the wind forced me in. It was not bad but I think it cost 19 dollars and that seemed a bit steep.

I did smoke a few Trinidad fundadores which I liked more and they were 10 a piece.

I Boughy 17 nc lanceros last fall and have smoked 2/3 of them. Flavous tended to be very good but smoke volume was missed.

Kicking myself for not buying a box of the Trinidads .

Oh well

• Like 1

This is really awesome feedback from everyone. First and foremost I love the format. I'd be lying if I didn't say the Cohiba version didn't carry some mystique. That said, now I want to try the Monte Esp 1/2, Trini Fundadores, Cohiba Corona Especiales and LGC mdo 4.

Also want to learn more about the Monte D.

In my humble 20 year old opinion, the Cohiba lancero, monte especiales, bolivar especiales no 2(regional), and Trinidad Fundadores are some of the best cigars rolled by Habanos. True to their Marca and flavorful unlike some of the other vitolas in their respective Marcas. They are what their Marca should taste like. I think that there is a higher quality control when it comes to these cigars from what I have experienced. Construction has always been flawless. I wish there was a large pantella or especiales in every marca(along with a Britannica but that is another topic).

BTW the holy Lance is one of my favorite nc. If cuban cigar smokers want to experience a good nc they should look into lanceros, they are almost always (1/x as x approaches infinity) better than the 7x70 counterparts.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy

• Like 2

Weirdly enough from what I've had I prefer the Corona Especiales. They're a tad smaller and tend to not be as plugged.

The CoLa is absolutely amazing when right, but then again it really needs time. Had a 3 year old one and it was...well not that great.

Not "always" at all. Problems of construction is one of the reason for the disaffection for them. All Laguitos No.1 and Delicados have suffered.

You are correct, I should have said from my experience.

Sent by telepathic super powers

-Stogie Boy