Review: Montecristo Puritos

Really wanted to sit down for a cigar yesterday but just didn't have the time. Wife wanted to run errands and I just couldn't figure out how to weasel in for a smoke. But then I remembered that I had picked up some monte puritos somewhere along the way. Being only a small 22 rg x 3" or so I figured it would do the trick.

Construction

Double Precut cap, small imperfection at top of wrapper, no soft spots, draw is a little on the light side but still very good.

46022E69-AA51-4F9F-937F-58928F8CFD0C_zps

Cold draw

Smooth notes of hay and a soft plush hint of leather.

First third

Very smooth more on the light to medium body. Notes of hay and earth with the occasional note of plush full grain Italian leather. Not to be confused with that cheap generic leather jacket smell. The burn on this cigar stays very even and the draw stays consistent.

BC78DF65-5A08-48A4-8227-CF2927AFCE22_zps

Second third

I wasn't paying attention so one quick relight was necessary at the beginning of the second third. The flavors in this cigar are very muted compared to its bigger brothers....still what a great little breath of fresh air when time is severely restrained during a busy day. Moving on the hay stays as one of the front runners with every draw. The only difference this go around is there are small hints of warm toasted nuts similar in depth to the mixed nut variety found at the local grocery store during the holidays (walnuts, almonds, filberts, pecans, and Brazil nuts).

3D588016-0105-4C88-9F35-9FC407E042FB_zps

Final third

My god guys I just got so happy as we entered the final third. These first two draws of the final third just jumped up and screamed, "shhh don't tell anyone but I'm a monte #2 on the inside". My god by far the best draws of the entire cigar. This final third has taken off compared to the first two thirds and is by far the most enjoyable part of this little slice of heaven. Hay and barnyard are still the predominant flavor profiles but leather, toasted nuts, espresso beans, and dark chocolate dance circles around the back of your tongue before disappearing into the abyss.

01CCE93D-7F3B-4525-B58A-1400D4B76D26_zps

Total time from light to nub: 30 min

Overall this cigar was great. I was able to nub this little guy and it certainly hit the spot for me when I didn't have much time to smoke. In the end I think these are great little sticks to have on hand when you are on the run or just pressed for time. Still, there is not comparison to its larger hand made brothers. But, damn fine for what it is, I will make sure I always have these on hand going forward!

Cheers,

Seth

• Like 3

Thanks for the brilliant review!

And this is why you just gotta have some sticks like this on hand. I keep the Monte Joyita and RG Cigarritos around for little pure hits of tobacco goodness.

Wilkey

Thanks for the brilliant review!

And this is why you just gotta have some sticks like this on hand. I keep the Monte Joyita and RG Cigarritos around for little pure hits of tobacco goodness.

Wilkey

Couldn't agree more. I tend to try and smoke pretty slow and therefore even small 4x40 sticks can at times take me over an hour to an hour and a half to finish. So lately I have been dabbling with the little guys just for a quick 30 minutes of heavenly Habana lol. I haven't tried any of the other small/club sizes from the different Marcas, so I will have to check out the ones you recommended. Any others that you found enjoyable, or are they all pretty good across the board?

Cheers,

Seth

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Please forgive me for bringing this thread back from the dead, but I really wanted to thank Seth or this review.
As a fellow fairly new to the world of cigars, let me say that this review was dead on. From the hay of the prelight draw which stuck around all the way through
to the subtle dark chocolate at the end, I fully understood and moreover appreciated everything the Montecristo Purito  had to offer thanks to you.
   To anyone who is new to the world of cigars and has a lot more money than spare time, like me, these little buggers are both time and money well spent.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the review - I might have to revisit the Puritos at some point. In the past, I found that they weren't that great, and that the Partagas Chicos were the only cigarillos that really tasted like a Cuban cigar is supposed to taste. I still always keep some Chicos around for when I don't have the time for a full-sized cigar - they're surprisingly strong (both in terms of nicotine and in terms of flavour) for such tiny things. 

• 1 month later...

From what I've smoked so far in small cigar range I would rate:

1. La Gloria Cubana puritos - the best small cigar I had to date. Pure honey, I was looking out for bees while smoking it. It's been awhile though, not sure if they still make them.

2. Monecristo puritos and Quintero Puritos - surprised by nice rich smoke of Quintero, can't decide which one is better, they both are great though different.

3. Montecristo Joyitas - way overpriced for what it is, you can get 4 times as many puritos for the same price!