Why you never, ever, buy blind

This past November I was in Havana for the Partagas event.

I flew into Varadero (from Toronto) and hitched a cab ride to the La Casa del Habano at Calle 63 y 1ra Avenida, Varadero.

I've had some good luck finding stuff at that store. I'm not sure if it's just because there are fewer aficionados in Varadero or just random luck (in Jan. 2013 I found 2 boxes of the Partagas GR!).

Didn't see anything outstanding this time but did see some cigars on my list and thought I'll just get them now and not risk being unable to find them in Havana.

I was in a rush... the cab driver was waiting to take me into Havana and I felt I should be as quick as I could having already negotiated the price for the entire trip before leaving the airport.

I grabbed 6 boxes including two boxes of H. Upmann Royal Robustos (75.00 CUC each as I recall).

Paid the lady and I was off to Havana.

RULE #1: Always open the boxes and inspect the cigars!

Even if it is a reputable store.
Even if you trust the sales people.

Well I didn't inspect them. I should know better. Lesson learned.

A couple days later I decided to look through everything I bought. The boxes were sealed and I didn't see any evidence of them being opened. They had mold. Both boxes. Tragic.

I was in a hurry and all I had was a VISA receipt - no customs paperwork (didn't give me any) and no store receipt with my purchases listed (didn't give me that either). So, figuring I wouldn't be able to return them (and the cost to travel back to the store) I tossed them. As a Canadian I can only bring back 50 sticks without paying duty so I wasn't wasting that quota on moldy sticks.

Not sure their humidor has an area of super high humidity or that the store received them this way.

Having Rob and FOH check every box certainly provides a higher level of confidence when making purchases.

Also, I had a couple people question the construction on the cigars and suggested they aren't legit. Does anyone else think this might be the case? Boxes, seals and bands all appeared good to me.

Cheers,

/Dave

post-22115-0-35900800-1423247612_thumb.j

post-22115-0-52198200-1423247614_thumb.j

post-22115-0-63199200-1423247615_thumb.j

• Like 1

Yikes! Yes. Always check when buying in person in Cuba. If they don't let you, go somewhere else until you can. Saw an even more horrible example a few years back when Trinidad Robusto Extras could be found. The guy opened the box after he left the store and the contents inside were in ruins. It appeared like the whole box was under a tap of running water and had finally dried out. The wrappers were all mottled and discolored. I haven't heard great things about the shops in Varadero in regards to inspecting but in Havana, there was never an issue.

Found the picture!

post-6763-0-14683700-1423249406_thumb.jp

A friend thought he would surprise me a brought a box of Partagas from the airport. Opened them up here (he mailed them) and they were covered in green disgusting mold. No way this just happened in the 2 days it took to mail them to me and they were sealed.

Traveling friends often offer to bring me cigars. I always politely decline... from anywhere.

I'm reading this thread via my phone and my phone's screen isn't too clear. That said it looks like white mould and if it's not on the foot of the cigar, you'd be ok to wipe it of and smoke up or be sure to store in drier conditions to remove the mould's food source.

Even if it were on the foot you could cut into it with your cutter to be sure to reach fresh unmoulded tobacco leaf.

• Like 4

To the OP, thanks for the post. I personally wouldn't have been to bothered by the state of that particular mould example, as it's minor IMO..... The only issue that would have bothered me was that they were likely going to be difficult to smoke on your trip as they would need some time to dry out from being slightly over humidified.

But back to the moral of the story - yes, absolutely must check prior to purchasing. Walk away if they're not going to open them for you.

Buying blind in Cuba is crazy. They do not care about the cigars nor they care for them. In general.

Buying blind from a vendor or retailer is another story. Any vendor worth his reputation will accept returns and offer refunds if there are problems. Many will inspect properly prior to shipping if requested.

• Like 1

It was a tough decision to toss them, but $150 CUC isn't the end of the world and I'd rather bring home great cigars than moldy ones. I ended up buying a box of P2's instead and I'm very satisfied with them.

whisper.gif Things became "Even-Steven" when I returned to Canada with 100 sticks and wasn't asked to pay duty. whistle.gif

/Dave

• Like 1

That mold could spring up from nowhere, i've seen mold appear like this almost overnight. I've had mold like this on a box of punch punch, wiped the cigars down, left them in the humi for 2 months before trying and they have smoked perfectly since, mold has never returned.

• Like 1

It was a tough decision to toss them, but $150 CUC isn't the end of the world and I'd rather bring home great cigars than moldy ones. I ended up buying a box of P2's instead and I'm very satisfied with them.

You tossed those Royal Robustos!?!?!

That's just some harmless white mould from the looks of it.

More specifically, the closest fungal strain I've seen it compared to is " Aspergilloma ". I personally don't know if it is exactly Aspergilloma. But this is my best guess until proven wrong.

Unless you are severely immuno-compromised, have cystic fibrosis or asthma, have some sort of cancer, or have a very low white blood cell count, it is harmless and fails to grow in health human lungs.

This stuff is normally mixed with dead leaves and whatever in nature and the spores (most likely) exist in your raw, green food stuff. If you're worried about putting white mould to your mouth, don't be. It's harmless to normal, healthy humans.

Sources available upon request. Too lazy to include.

• Like 1

whisper.gif Things became "Even-Steven" when I returned to Canada with 100 sticks and wasn't asked to pay duty. whistle.gif

/Dave

FYI, not sure why you chucked the boxes. As others have said, that white mold, while not great, isn't a deal killer. Easily can be cleaned and frozen, as long as there's not blue/green/yellow/discoloured mold getting into the foot of the cigar itself.

Also, you can bring back WAY more than 100 cigars. It all depends.

IMO, throwing them out ahead of time was absolutely pissing away your money. If you would have taken them along as well, it would have only been a few more minor cigars. If those absolutely put you into the paying duties range, chuck them then. But I woulda hung onto them until that point - could have been freebie cigars.

What exactly does freezing them do for mould? Why is this advice still given?

I don't get it either. Old wives tales...

To be clear, since Shlomo took the tone, I didn't say the freezing was specifically for the mold, did I????

Since the storage conditions were obviously flawed to bring about the mold, and like the OP said, these came direct from Cuba - best to freeze just to ensure no beetle issues as well.

There - that better??

To be clear, since Shlomo took the tone, I didn't say the freezing was specifically for the mold, did I????

Since the storage conditions were obviously flawed to bring about the mold, and like the OP said, these came direct from Cuba - best to freeze just to ensure no beetle issues as well.

There - that better??

Yes, that is much more clear. Freeze for beetles, not mould.

• Like 1