Hiroshi Robaina

Looks like the grand son of the elder Robaina is striking out on his own in Nicaragua. CA has

a good article on why he chose to grow / sell cigars from that country. Anything is possible

now, who knows maybe I'll get a chance to smoke a Davidoff produced in Cuba before I

exit stage left!

I smoked one of his cigars at the local b&m a couple weeks ago. The whole line is large format cigars from what I saw. Perfect construction, draw, and burn. The flavor was ok nothing spectacular. Got toasted tobacco and nuts through most of it just got pretty bored as there wasnt much construction. Decent cigar but nothing for me to get too excited about.

I'm surprised there's not a double band on those. That would guarantee an excellent smoke.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have bought them if they had come in the same faux-carbon-fiber box as the Andorra RE from a few years ago :innocent:

Anyone remember the CAO Vision LED light up box? Now that's what makes a really good cigar.

Wilkey

My 3 year old daughter loves to play with that one :rotfl:

Looks like the grand son of the elder Robaina is striking out on his own in Nicaragua. CA has

a good article on why he chose to grow / sell cigars from that country. Anything is possible

now, who knows maybe I'll get a chance to smoke a Davidoff produced in Cuba before I

exit stage left!

I wish him every success and hope he nails it in the next few years with either these or a forthcoming release.

• Like 1

I wish Hiroshi the best of luck, I just wish they used some original bands on them. Out of all the designs available in the world, they had to piggyback on HSA's tribute to his family.

Mimicking existing brands has always irked me

• Like 2

Anyone remember the CAO Vision LED light up box? Now that's what makes a really good cigar.

Wilkey

LOL. Yes. Those were gawdawful!!!!

I wish Hiroshi the best of luck, I just wish they used some original bands on them. Out of all the designs available in the world, they had to piggyback on HSA's tribute to his family.

Mimicking existing brands has always irked me

Agreed. While I love to see him branching out a bit, and wagering his market name a bit, at the same time, I'm very much agreed with this. A bit awkward to see that band on there.

In my humble opinion no nc is worth $20. I have had several nc's in the $12-18 range and the only that I have enjoyed is the AF opus x funte fuente (rested 3 years). I wish him good luck but I also think the pricing will have to come down 60% or more to be able to compete with other nc's. You can get some very decent nc's for about $4-6 here in the states.

I wish him the best of luck and am sure he will get a hit on the NC market with one of these releases. I would buy one or two to taste and show respect but thats a price scheme that seems a bit out of whack.

Gotta love capitalism

I wish him the best of luck and am sure he will get a hit on the NC market with one of these releases. I would buy one or two to taste and show respect but thats a price scheme that seems a bit out of whack.

Gotta love capitalism

I wish him well also. I just wonder what good advice he's getting regarding pricing and marketing. His (family) brand is unknown to the general smoking populace in the US, at least, and you all know what happens when a new super-ultra-premium shows up on the scene with a double-digit price tag....

They end up discounted 80% at JR Cigars and Cigars International with Lew and crew crowing about how they squeezed a terminal deal from some poor shlub hoping to break it big. Once that happens your brand is tainted forever.

I just hope we don't see it go this way.

Wilkey

His (family) brand is unknown to the general smoking populace in the US, at least, and you all know what happens when a new super-ultra-premium shows up on the scene with a double-digit price tag....

That's ain interesting point... I wonder if that's part of a market strategy..

"This guy is a world famous Cuban cigar farm owner/maker... now you can try his cigars!!!!"

Oh and before anyone asks... what makes him different to the other Cuban families that now make NC ala the Padrons? The fact that Robaina is still heavily into the Cuban cigar market (if not him directly his family at least).

• Like 1

Wilkey

I use that as my desktop at work. I didn't think the cigar was anything great but the humidor is nice for a few cigars at work. I put them in plastic bags with boveda packs then inside the humidor. It doesn't seal great imo but serves a purpose of holding cigars stable enough so I can have one on the way home some times.

The NC market doesn't need more $10+ cigars. If I wanted a $10 or more cigar I would be buying a lot more CC. VERY few NC can live up to a $10 pricetag. I don't care if your name is Robania, Pete Johnson or Johnathan Drew. Some people will still love the overpowered smoke bombs for $15 and good for them paying it. I won't give my money up to the hype machines of cigars that really should be $7 but they charge $14 and the 'collectible' nature of the cigar makes them $25 in the secondary market.

I don't collect cigars. I smoke them. Luckily I can smoke good cigars for less than $15.

• Like 1

Pardon my ignorance but how can a citizen under communist Cuba rule establish a capitalistic business by growing Nicaraguan tobacco and producing his own cigars? This is contradictory to the Castro oppression, no?

Pardon my ignorance but how can a citizen under communist Cuba rule establish a capitalistic business by growing Nicaraguan tobacco and producing his own cigars? This is contradictory to the Castro oppression, no?

Hey man, where've you been? Good to see you post again.

Wilkey

How could Castro prevent a cuban citizen who has the means to leave the country from starting a business in Nicaragua or elsewhere?

I wish him the best of luck in a very competitive market.

Personally, I look at thus cigar in the same vain as celebrity endorsed liquor brands (Santana and his Tequila ect) as he is responsible for providing blend input on the stick, not actually making it.

If the tobaccos in the cigar came from his Cuban farm and we're rolled by his farm staff (all the Robaina farmies I've had have been outstanding) I would hold more interest in the stick, but for $20us for a Nicaraguan cigar that he simply had input in I'll pass.

NC smokers in the US will no doubt try and find some Cuban DNA in this blend bUT I would be suprised if an expressed CC smoker would agree.

I've not tried the cigar, and unless someone gifts me one I doubt I will, so I can't comment of how it smokes or its profile. From my side of the humidor though I look at it no different to if Micheal Jordan had a cigar made with his name on it.

Thate being said, anything that gets Hiroshi away from the hard life of a tobacco farmer and puts some money in his pocket and freedom in his soul is OK with me

Personally, I look at thus cigar in the same vain as celebrity endorsed liquor brands (Santana and his Tequila ect) as he is responsible for providing blend input on the stick, not actually making it.

I understand your point - purely for conversation, this is pretty much how any cigar is produced - blenders blend, rollers roll, boxers box, etc. If he is there, hands on, my guess is that he has more to do with final production of these cigars than he does with any regular production cigar produced in Cuba.

Best luck Hirochi - please consider producing a balanced, flavorful corona smile.png