Kudos to Smokin Cigar Bayview ave Toronto

That was a brilliant afternoon, and it was a pleasure to meet the team. The 'library' was also fantastic!

What a great start to the trip that was.

Great time, all and all! Glad the both of you enjoyed it

Forgot to mention my favourite part of the visit! :)

Rodger (rep. from Havana House) came in and was introduced. First thing he asked Rob was: "First time going to Cuba?"

Rob's answer: "Ehhhh, just about the 28th!"

clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

It was a bloody cold afternoon in Toronto this past November and I was looking forward to getting together with the Toronto crew later that night at the Mambo for dinner. I had brought the only genuine cold weather overcoat I own to Toronto and it was proving no match for the local conditions. Global warming? I say bring it on lol3.gif

Jer (maplepie) contacted me in the afternoon and suggested we (Jeremy/Rob C and myself) catch up and head to a local divan before dinner. I was all for it as one of the great things in what I get to do is meeting people who love this hobby of ours. Wherever possible I don't miss an opportunity to do so.

Rob C and myself hopped in a cab (we were to meet Jer there) and headed to Smokin Cigar 1540 Bayview Avenue Toronto. We have not been there before and were looking forward to relaxing for a few hours.

From the Park Hyatt to Bayview Av was about 20 minutes and we landed outside Smokin Cigar and headed inside.

attachicon.gifSmokin Cigar.jpg

I have seen countless divans all over the world and this one is up there with the best. The first thing that struck me was the scale of the store and the fact that not one thing was out of place.

attachicon.gifSmokin Cigar 3.jpg

Every divan has its own feel and culture. Some I like, some I love, some I detest. A divan can have the greatest selection, can be drop dead gorgeous, can be neat as a pin.....but a great divan is more than that. A great divan has great people behind it from those on the shop floor to those who own it.

Having walked in, I said hello to the team behind the counter and both I and Rob C headed to the walk in humidor. To be honest I probably should have asked permission but I was joined by a very polite young man who accompanied us. On reflection, I had a lot of pockets on me and my accent no doubt hinted that I may be visiting from a locale known for its penal past lol3.gif

The selection at Smokin Cigar is split between Cuban and Non Cuban with an excellent mix of both. I focused on the Cuban selection (I am generally lost with the array of Non Cubans).

So there I was visually inspecting the Cuban stock and asking some questions of young bloke who responded to each one professionally and knowledgeably.

I finally asked him to pick me a cigar. A cigar that was medium full and that he has enjoyed recently.

" I really can't pick a cigar for you sir"

" mate, why not, whatever you have been enjoying, I am easy"

" because you are Rob Ayala from FOH....aren't you. I watch your videos with ken... you don't need any help from me to pick a Cuban cigar!"

I burst out laughing , he did as well biggrin.png

"OK ... then pick me out a selection of Non Cuban Cigars that you think I may enjoy. I will smoke one while I am here. And so he did (Some Alec Bradleys). We were joined by another young lady working there who's enthusiasm and smile would light up a room.

Before long the owner of Smokin Cigar, Trae Zammit joined us and I can see where the team get their enthusiasm, friendliness and professionalism. We shot the breeze for a while before retiring to enjoy a cigar together.

Trae and I started in the business at the same time (1996). He recently has opened a second store at 1946 Queen Street Toronto and his enthusiasm is infectious. Like Australia, Canada's tobacco laws are ruthless and by god I love a fighter. Trae is a fighter and deserves every success.

Next time I am in Toronto I will visit again and hope that if you are passing through or live in Toronto that you will do the same soon. Great B&M's deserve to be supported and this is indeed a great B&M. It has an excellent cigar selection, it is very well appointed....but it is great because of the brilliant team.

Thank you Jeremy for introducing us!

The Smokin Cigar

1540 Bayview Avenue

Toronto, ON M4G 3B6

Tel: 4165450063

attachicon.gifSmokin Cigar 1.jpg

Hey, Jer - which one of these handsome fellas is YOU!?

A great little shop. Visited it in 1998, not long after it opened, when I was on a security detail with some stars of a movie shoot. I had completely forgot about it in the early 2000's, until about 2004, when it was among the first of my online purchases of cigars when I began back into cigars again then. Some great single stick and tubos purchases have been enjoyed from there over the years.

Says a lot about a business and it's owners' merits when it survives so well and so long in the type of taxation and enjoyment-restrictive environment that pervades fine tobacco enjoyment in Canada.

That coat definitely couldn't protect you in a Toronto winter.

My thoughts exactly. Rob's coat looks more like a rain coat than anything local Torontonians would wear on a cold day. I was in Cuba during Robs visit otherwise I would have lent him something more appropriate to wear. Although from what I hear it really was not all that cold. (weather wimp). I would love to see Rob here on a day like today. A balmy -9 Celsius with the wind chill bringing it down to -14. Do they even know what wind chill is in Brissy?

My thoughts exactly. Rob's coat looks more like a rain coat than anything local Torontonians would wear on a cold day. I was in Cuba during Robs visit otherwise I would have lent him something more appropriate to wear. Although from what I hear it really was not all that cold. (weather wimp). I would love to see Rob here on a day like today. A balmy -9 Celsius with the wind chill bringing it down to -14. Do they even know what wind chill is in Brissy?

Yes. It's when the warm tropical breeze rolls in off the ocean and takes the chill OFF their frosty beers on the deck.

A true travesty.

Hard to believe they can deal with that.