How to age Boxes

Hey guys.

Looking to start my CC collection with a few boxes.. What is everyone's take on storing and aging for long periods of time?? My current setup is a few empty boxes with singles in medium sized tupperdor with a hygrometer and a few Boveda 65%.

I was thinking of buying another, much larger, tupperdor for long term storage (3+ years) of boxes. Throwing a few Boveda packs in there with a few hygrometers (depending on size of the tupperdor) and possibly a small fan that I can control if I can find one.

What is everyone's take on storage? Store boxes individually in a zip-lock back inside the tupperdor? Freezing boxes upon arrival? .. things like that.

Also I don't want the sticks to be too inaccessible, as I would want to pull out a cigar a year to see how they are aging.

Any info and advice would be awesome. Thanks!

Opinions will vary.

Have you smoked CCs before? Do you know what you like? If you are just starting out, there is a possibility that what you like now will not be the same as what you like in 10 years.

As I agree with this, if you do honestly want to start purchasing cigars to age do yourself a favor and invest in a small cabinet humidor for now. Set it up with an active humidification system at your desired RH and temp. Personally, mine sits between 62-64%RH and temp around 66F.

If you are serious about this lovely "hobby" if you wish (for me, it's a part of life..no hobby) then you will truly out grow your tupperware set-up fairly quickly.

I suggest this as an addendum to Shlomo's advice: if you are fairly new to CC's, take the time out to see what you enjoy first as far as Marca, strength, vitola, etc. Don't just buy to buy so you can age..

I warn you though, once you do pick up a knack for taste in cigars the boxes will start coming in quicker than you can keep up with your storage. So I say, if you're going to truly "age" your sticks, do it right..

This is only my opinion, take it for what it's worth.

Salute,

Dan

Before I upgraded to a cabinet humidor, I had good success with a "tupperdor", which was a clear plastic box with a lid that locked and had an "air tight" seal around it. Bought it on line, but I saw the exact same box in Walmart a couple of weeks later. The container was about 24" long x 18" high x 20" wide, and it held about 10-12 boxes. I bought a 6" tube of Heartfelt beads (65% variety) and that maintained it perfectly with almost no maintenance.

Use the search feature here for "tupperdor" and you'll find many threads about the subject.

I honestly have never smoked a CC before, I have a sampler of singles that should be arriving in a few days.. My plan was to purchase samplers and singles of different sticks to try to get a taste of what I like, then buy boxes of those sticks for storage and aging.

As for cabinet humidors, what suggestions on brand and humidification do you guys have?

I honestly have never smoked a CC before, I have a sampler of singles that should be arriving in a few days.. My plan was to purchase samplers and singles of different sticks to try to get a taste of what I like, then buy boxes of those sticks for storage and aging.

As for cabinet humidors, what suggestions on brand and humidification do you guys have?

For humidification, I have been extremely happy with Heartfelt beads over the last 5 years. Barely any maintenance. I have a cheap Caliber IV digital hygrometer in each humi. I don't necessarily trust the numbers they throw at me, but when I see the RH% drop and not come back up, I know it's time to refill the beads.

You can't go wrong, imo, with an Aristocrat, but get ready to shell out some bucks. Bob, the owner, is a pure joy to work with during the process of ordering and customizing your cabinet. Can't speak to other brands/varieties.

Since you're just getting started, I think the approach you're taking is a good one. Go slowly. Try different CC's and buy a box here and there when you find one you think you like. After you fill up a 10 or 15 box tupperdor and have formed your own opinion of what you've tried, then start thinking about a cabinet. From my experience, I don't think you have to rush into a cabinet. You can always just shell out another $20 on another tupperdor. This site is full of pictures in the Humidor Tutorial Forum and the Pictures Forum of tupperdor's stacked on each other because they are cheap and they work great.

I do think I will start off with another tupperdor.. I really don't have money for an Aristocrat.. I've looked at them in the past.. lookaround.gif

And I won't be buying a lot of boxes for a long while, but I do want to start getting a few, possibly two or three to start after trying a few singles.

I would personally just keep purchasing singles for a while. But I like trying lots of different vitolas. Remember though, that what might be good this year/month may not be as good from different years/months and cigars vary from roller to roller, box to box and within each box. That's the beauty of hand rolled cigars. For example, one of my all time favourite small vitola cigars is the Trinidad Reyes but from reports they seem to be off the boil for a while. So I wouldn't consider buying them now. This forum is quite good for getting a fair and honest idea of what is smoking well. So, I say, embrace the journey. All the best.

• Like 1

Hi Parabola,

There's a ton of information in the Humidor subforum. This thread, in particular, would be a good place to get started inexpensively yet competently for longer term storage: Preferred Cooler Type.

I don't think there's any harm in getting started now. And with your stated threshold of 3 years to enter "long term" territory, the risk is low...quite frankly because 3 years isn't even approaching long term. And as others have remarked, are you sure you like the performance of cigars with 3, 5, 10, or 20 years on them?

Wilkey

Continue smoking singles until you can narrow down which cigars you enjoy the most. No sense in buying cigars to put down before you even know if you will like them. Flavor profiles can change over time too.....so what you may like now you may not like further down the road with age on them.

Keep your eyes on people's reviews on here, too. You'll find other members with similar tastes to yours, and they can help steer you towards boxes you'll like while perhaps keeping you from buying a box you won't care for.

All in all, most Habanos are pretty good (especially when compared to NC, where more than half are crapola). I bought a box of RASS on a whim for my first CC purchase and it still holds a place in my heart as one of the better boxes I've bought

There was a thread on here a while ago about buying cigars you've never tried. There were a number of people who said they had bought boxes of cigars they'd never had. That is what I did, and except for a couple, I don't regret it a bit. Variety is great. There are times for different cigars. If you try one stick and like/don't like it, there's no guarantee how you'll feel about it down the road anyway.

If you buy what almost everyone likes, e.g. BBF, Choix Supreme, 898 etc. you likely won't regret it, and you can get a start on aging your collection.

• Like 1

I would never buy a box of something I have never tried before, I am not rich enough to take a risk like that lol.

I don't think there's any harm in getting started now. And with your stated threshold of 3 years to enter "long term" territory, the risk is low...quite frankly because 3 years isn't even approaching long term. And as others have remarked, are you sure you like the performance of cigars with 3, 5, 10, or 20 years on them?

Wilkey

That is a good point about the performance of cigars changing after 3, 5, 10 years.. But I feel that is a risk work taking. From the most part I gather that with good care, most cigars only get better with age. Sure some smoke better then others at the same age, but do singles come aged or "straight off the boat" from the distributor? How can I get a taste of differently aged sticks if I don't just take the plunge? I am not trying to be defensive by any means, just looking for advice from the community.

Supersimple. Buy boxes. Lot more what you need and smoke. And they will just age. You dont need to think about it.

I have almost never bought singles and samplers. Boxes and boxes. Still have smokes starts from 05...never thought about ageing lol

I would skip the tupperware if you are thinking about boxes and just jump into a cooler. Personally, I just went and picked up a cheaper model ~50L and picked up a couple pieces of spanish cedar from the local wood shop to have that beautiful smell when opening it and for retaining humidity. I was concerned on the seal to ensure it was tight when purchasing, but as long as it is not the cheapest model, I do not see real cause for concern on leakage. Both my tupperdor and cooler are miles ahead of my humidor in terms of holding humidity.

I bought the cooler ~2.5 months ago and it's already over half full. It doesn't take long.

I would skip the tupperware if you are thinking about boxes and just jump into a cooler. Personally, I just went and picked up a cheaper model ~50L and picked up a couple pieces of spanish cedar from the local wood shop to have that beautiful smell when opening it and for retaining humidity. I was concerned on the seal to ensure it was tight when purchasing, but as long as it is not the cheapest model, I do not see real cause for concern on leakage. Both my tupperdor and cooler are miles ahead of my humidor in terms of holding humidity.

I bought the cooler ~2.5 months ago and it's already over half full. It doesn't take long.

True that. At W-Mart you can get a giant Coleman for the same price as a couple pieces of Tupperware. If you fall out of love with cigars (gasp) you still have a useful cooler. Coolers seal really well and don't require much work to maintain. You don't even really need the spanish cedar if you are aging in boxes.

True that. At W-Mart you can get a giant Coleman for the same price as a couple pieces of Tupperware. If you fall out of love with cigars (gasp) you still have a useful cooler. Coolers seal really well and don't require much work to maintain. You don't even really need the spanish cedar if you are aging in boxes.

Though the smell of the cedar when opening up the cooler is amazing ;-)

• Like 2

How can I get a taste of differently aged sticks if I don't just take the plunge? I am not trying to be defensive by any means, just looking for advice from the community.

Of course, no offense taken. Stock up if that's the spirit that moves you. I certainly do. The point I am making, and it's nothing more than an intellectual distinction, is that one could do this with a planned expectation and understanding or with hope. Often the two walk hand in hand and that is a wonderful thing.

Wilkey

Samplers and singles are fine when you smoke one that you like, but there is risk in that you might get a bad single or sample and be inclined to write that cigar off.

But as a NC smoker you probably already know to give a cigar more than one chance to impress you anyway I would imagine.

I do know this all too well. There are a few cigars that I wasn't impressed when I smoked for the first time that turned into some regular smokes.

I know I am over-thinking this.. that is just who I am lol. I know I would benefit more in the future from a cooler, but I love being able to see the sticks organized all nice and my hygrometer without opening it up. In terms of aging and keeping a more stable environment I will get a cooler for my future boxes.

Thanks for the advice Wilkey. Being new, I need all the advice and insight I can get.