How to age Boxes

On aging cigars. Does oxygen have anything to do with it? What I am getting at is with a cooler system for example once filled, closed/sealed, and left for say three years is there enough air within it to do what's needed for the cigars to ferment? How often should the cooler be opened for inspection? The reason I ask is because I've heard it and read it numerous times buy them and stow them and leave them alone for 3-5-10-20 years. Has to be more to it than that.

Wow Piggy, that is some great insight, and I love the part about being part of an endangered species and joining the fight. I realize now I need to take things slow and simple. Try everything and eventually all will fall into place before I even realize it. Now that I am into CCs and FOH I definitely feel a strong sense of community and pride in this hobby, it's weird to explain but I know everyone knows what I am talking about.

Thank you fellow FOH for all the support, advice, and insight!

• 2 weeks later...

Before I upgraded to a cabinet humidor, I had good success with a "tupperdor", which was a clear plastic box with a lid that locked and had an "air tight" seal around it. Bought it on line, but I saw the exact same box in Walmart a couple of weeks later. The container was about 24" long x 18" high x 20" wide, and it held about 10-12 boxes. I bought a 6" tube of Heartfelt beads (65% variety) and that maintained it perfectly with almost no maintenance.

Use the search feature here for "tupperdor" and you'll find many threads about the subject.

Good idea!

One practical point: is there a place at Chez Parabola66 with super stable temperatures? A basement or cellar perhaps? rH is easy to control, actively or passively, once you have stable temps. And for long term storage you ideally want something that is inherently stable without anything to fail when you're on vacation.