Cigars and Travel

So I am off to Belize with my girlfriend for two weeks to escape the Great White North as well as the Christmas circus that is our families. Next to the plane tickets, passport, and the cash.......my cigar rotation for the 2 weeks is the priority. I am curious as to how other members prepare for.....or stock their suitcases for their vacations or travel. After raping and pillaging my humidor.....adding cigars deleting cigars.....big ones, small ones....too many, not enough. It is always a procedure which my gf rolls her eyes at but tremendously approves of.

Anyone have a formula they might share?

JD

• Like 1

Depends on where I'm going and why

If I'm off on a work trip I will budget around one cigar per day, and usually bring a few of those back with me

If its a personal trip I'll budget 1.5 cigars per day and then throw in a couple of extras, just in case

Unless I have an event in mind I plan to specifically smoke a cigar at (meeting up with the gang, spending a day at a lounge ect) I normally pack robustos and coronas only. I find they are a good size for a long-ish smoke and if I find I have more time to smoke after finishing one, I can always light another.

Also, Despite my best efforts in the past, there have been occasions where my cigars have been damaged while in transit, so don't pack anything to rare or expensive, just in case

Oh, and don't forget your cutter (checked baggage only)

I'm still working on it. I never seem to travel with enough. Definitely factor in that if the booze starts flowing a 1 cigar night can turn into 3 easily, last feb in Mexico I had a 7 cigar day/night/day again. I think Jerocco's idea of 30 is smart, but I'd pack as many as I have room for

I take about 2 1/2 cigars per day, plus an extra 2 or 3. I'd much rather have too many than too few. I take at least one double corona or churchill per day, and the rest are split evenly between robustos and pc's.

Have a great trip.

She might roll her eyes with the cigar planning stuff... but dont you roll your eyes with her packing? hehe I dont know about you but my girl packs for like a month when we go away for a week. Drives me nuts!!

That is so funny. My wife starts packing at least a week or two out for a trip within the states and even further out for international stuff. She is always asking me when I am going to get started. I usually start the night before if it is an early morning flight and it usually works out. I always forget something and she gets an I told you so attitude (in a nice way). My thought is that I have never gone somewhere that didn't have some kind of store.

Sometimes forgetting something is the best way to get a new souvenir.

Sorry, this was off point. I don't ever forget my cigars and always bring at least 15-20 for a week or two.

• Like 1

I took a box for a week in Thailand and KL a month ago.. found i only got through 4..'/then i had to bring that almost intact box through customs.. as i thought i would be smoking most of them.. i didnt register it on the way out...

Sometimes you can have a great time eating and swimming and motorbike riding to even have a cigar...

My last vacation i had the pleasure and opportunity to have this wonderful dilemma lol Granted i was going to Cuba so i didn't pack too much, but i did bring some smokes that i have been waiting to try for some time, where i figured smoking them on vacation would be the best time to let go of them lol. If I were in your position, like some have already suggested I would pack 2 morning smokes, 2 lunch ones robusto size, two dinner smokes (erring on the stronger/longer side where 1 of 2 would be a double corona) and then 1 special smoke. have this set up for each day and i would feel complete on my cigar packing lol

For me the determining factor is always were I will be able to smoke. Everywhere I travel smoking is usually prohibited , so the only place to smoke is In lounge where I would need to purchase from there. I always take cigars , and I never seem to get enough opportunities to smoke em.

Alwys pack at least one for each day, often bring a few home unsmoked but like to have enough to share also.

If you are in San Pedro there is a nice small shop there that does have some legit smokes down near the airport.

If you are not going to San Pedro, I'd recommend you do, along with a taxi ride to Caye Caulker!

post-4863-0-99762100-1418496656_thumb.jp

• Like 1

"Alwys pack at least one for each day, often bring a few home unsmoked but like to have enough to share also.

If you are in San Pedro there is a nice small shop there that does have some legit smokes down near the airport.

If you are not going to San Pedro, I'd recommend you do, along with a taxi ride to Caye Caulker!"

Will be in San Pedro for week some will def check it out! Thanks man. Jones'in for a smoke as I sit in Pearson intl. in Toronto. damnnnnnnnnnnnnn

Digging through the coolerdors in preparation for a vacation is sooooo much fun !!

Every trip/vacation is different, so the way to pack cigars changes as well. For early morning walks, I'll take some petite coronas. Golf calls for Double Corona/Churchills on the course, and a robusto afterwards. Days on the beach call for a variety of sizes, but nothing too big in size.

Evenings call for a variety as well, as the amount of time you have available will dictate what size cigar you smoke.

What my experience has told me to this point is that I'm a horrible cigar packer. I probably pack twice as many cigars as I smoke. But then again, I always have the size available that fits the time/occasion.

You are completely right. The small cigar size is trumping all others right now on this trip......morning, day, and night. Rasc, monte4, boil pc. Not smoking the big guys at all and completely digging the smaller smoke. Funny how different vacations move you in different ways.

Jd

I usually buy a box and take it with me or buy a box at place of destination. Fond memories of the Punch EL 2013 I worked my way through during summer holiday in Spain this year. Managed to smoke three during one world cup match (well it was tense..)

• 4 weeks later...

I usually pack the day prior to travel. My wife on the other hand prefers what I call panic packing; waiting till the day we're supposed to travel and trying to figure it all out in time to get out the door. I've learned to leave her to it and instead spend some quality time digging through the humidor choosing which sticks to bring. I aim for one per day plus a few extras, always a few different sizes to include at least one DC for a memorable close to the trip.