Anyone following the Cigar Journals Top 25 of 2014?

I was looking at the top 25 of 2013 issue of Cigar Aficionado. It amuses me a little more each time I look. I mean the 3 Cubans that were in the list. Total of 3. 22 NC Cigars. Again and said it before. Free market economics.+ advertising = $$$$$$. Who does an all Cuban review that would be more accurate? Foh has a ton of info im not sure I know of another good one. Maybe we could set up a poll for all cubans here. Sticks that have been out about all year. Just a thought.

And CA has nothing to offer me.....

VR Unicos,,,,,,,,,good example of the marque..........

Would you say they differ a whole lot from Famosos?

NC adverti$er$ mu$t have a bigger pre$ence, huh?

These ranking$ are alway$ influenced by dollar$.

Last year CA selected the Monte 2 as its number 1 cigar of the year. I heard that Castro personally wrote the check for that rating.

• Like 1

"It's a laugh, such a laugh, it's so stupid I gotta laugh." Daryl Hall

The demise of the European Cigar Journal is really sad. I cancelled my subscription once they became the "American" Cigar Journal. While I don't smoke much NCs I believe that there are some decent ones around. But there is no way in hell that a top 25 cigars list is dominated by NCs with only 2 Cubans making the list. It puts the magazine integrity under a massive question mark! Sad

• Like 2

It's more of an American thing for N.C.'s that doesn't concern the rest of the world and plus, C.J. has become C.A. so !!!!!!!

I'm French plus I don't have the money to read that kind of ratings on N.C.'s that are JUST for the U.S.A.The rest of the world

Is Habanos anyway .jester.gif

Guy

• Like 1

In the last year there has been a huge offering of most of these cigars in Europe and the East. I get emails all the time with NC flash sales. Even got one today.

Is it a combination of NC companies and Retailers branching out?

Retailers and Manufacturers worried with the ever-ending "end" of the embargo and Cuban stock being allocated elsewhere?

It just seems that there is a huge amount of NC offerings and advertising money targeting the European and East markets.

Only two Cubans on that list is astonishing and leaves me scratching my head.

While I think that is a horrible list, and do not agree with many of those cigars, I do think that there is a big increase in NC tobacco quality and ability to grow flavorful tobacco.

Most of you guys will obviously side with CC's being king, but there is no doubt that the NC growers are sure making some very good quality stuff that is reaching other palates.

Cigar F^iend

• Like 2

In the last year there has been a huge offering of most of these cigars in Europe and the East. I get emails all the time with NC flash sales. Even got one today.

Is it a combination of NC companies and Retailers branching out?

Retailers and Manufacturers worried with the ever-ending "end" of the embargo and Cuban stock being allocated elsewhere?

It just seems that there is a huge amount of NC offerings and advertising money targeting the European and East markets.

Only two Cubans on that list is astonishing and leaves me scratching my head.

it is mutually beneficial.

NC manufacturers need to grow their international markets as a normal commercial opportunity as well as a risk buffer to an embargo end.

Distributors/major retailers have the same requirements.

Up until now, outside of Dunhill, Davifoff, Fuente, Padron, few have cracked the major premium outside US market. Rocky Patel is giving it a serious shake. Plenty have tried and failed.

Outside of the US. With advertising bans, shrinking tobacco displays, increased smoking legislation etc....it is not easy to penetrate a market if you are a new entrant. You need deep pockets, patience, an excellent product and committed non US distributor/retailer partners.

• Like 1

it is not easy to penetrate a market if you are a new entrant. You need deep pockets, patience, an excellent product and committed non US distributor/retailer partners.

Michael Porter says the same.

I read his bestseller many years ago. Would be fun revisit it.

it is mutually beneficial.

NC manufacturers need to grow their international markets as a normal commercial opportunity as well as a risk buffer to an embargo end.

Distributors/major retailers have the same requirements.

Up until now, outside of Dunhill, Davifoff, Fuente, Padron, few have cracked the major premium outside US market. Rocky Patel is giving it a serious shake. Plenty have tried and failed.

Outside of the US. With advertising bans, shrinking tobacco displays, increased smoking legislation etc....it is not easy to penetrate a market if you are a new entrant. You need deep pockets, patience, an excellent product and committed non US distributor/retailer partners.

Pretty sure Rob Fox could enlighten us on this matter... What is going to happen, what is the next 5 years forecast on the market penetration of NCs in Europe? How is the general public/consumer reacting to the appearance of these new products and what is the consumer feedback post consumption?