Ever binned a perfectly good smoke...?

Just sparked up a perfectly respectable Juan Lopez Exclusive Asia Pacific Piramide regional and chucked it 10 puffs in...

Smoked perfectly but just didn't tick my box. I could have struggled through it...but realised it literally wasn't worth my time and as its only $ that satisfying experience is what drives my Cuban Cigar passion.

Settled on a Monty Petit Edmundo

Nothing epic but I like it...

Have you ever decided a Marca just isn't in your satisfaction zone, if so what don't you like???

5f3377eb717c800ad0f3f2bd85879df9.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

I actually don't care for any Juan Lopez I've smoked.

-Juan Lopez Maximo Suiza. Soapy. Felt like I was swearing a lot. It was like smelling and eating a bubblebath. Odd.

Tossed it a third in - couldn't deal with it. I think Tom actually picked it up and continued to smoke it, haha....

-RyJ Duke LE 2009. Hated this rotten cherry tasting cigar. Very acrid. Second try yielded the same thing.

-Every Short Churchill I've ever smoked. Third time around, I tried so hard to get to the final third to see what I was missing. Got tobacco sick and had to sleep it off for 2 hours.

Only good part about this cigar was I got a massage and pity points with the GF for her seeing me like that.

I actually don't care for any Juan Lopez I've smoked. I'm not big on pitching them unless they're really bad though

Ever had the RE UK? The Seleccion Suprema?

You too, Paul. Pick yourself up one when you can... (nice thread, by the way!! :ok:)

I normally don't like Juan Lopez regionals myself... But that was hands down the best Juan Lopez I've ever had.

I usually don't pitch a cigar unless it is plugged or acrid. I've found that at times a 1/3 in & it improves. However, why waste an hour or two with a cigar you don't like.

I actually enjoyed the JL4 very much.

Anyways, yes I have binned perfectly good cigars before. Every once in a long while I decide to sit down for a smoke, and a few puffs in I realize I'm just not in the mood for cigars. It's not the cigar's fault, a different time and place I would have enjoyed them immensely, yet very rarely I just can't be bothered.

It's amazing the number of cigars that start terribly, but turn into gems as you smoke them.

I seldom have a cigar that I selected from my humidors smoke terribly.

Gifts on the other hand..... That's always hit or miss.

Yes I have pitched bad cigars. I agree with the OP why struggle with a terrible cigar.

I will always give a cigar a chance but if after 20 mins of trying different approaches (slowing time between puffs to cool the cigar, purging and burning of any tar) I will toss it if it doesn't improve.

Haven't pitched a good cigar yet. However, I have put back a few in the humidor after having cut the cap, sat down to smoke and fidgeted with the cigar for a few minutes to realize I wasn't in the mood for smoking at that time...

Sting ... I feel the same way about bhk56 ... I did get a bit past halfway but was basically bored and chucked it .

Ryan ... Have one box of jlo Patricia's from '97 left ... Would love to change your mind about never having a jlo you have ever cared for .

Jeremy ... Have one box of jlo Patricia's from '97 left ... Would love to change your mind about what was the hands down best jlo you have ever had .

Jlo Patricia's ... Proof positive that " medium " bodied cigars can stand the test of time .

Derrek

• Like 3

JL, Vegueros and LGC.

I would have added RyJ as ones I don't care for also, but I had a really excellent cazadore a couple months back, and the SC is not terrible.

Had a god awful perla this past weekend. Tossed it at halfway point.

I actually just did this the other night with a JLS4. Couldn't stand it, so I tossed it and lit up a Monte 2 instead. Much better way to spend the evening...

• Like 1

It's just they are so darned expensive here, so it's tough to chuck it.

Most of us grew up with parents reminding us to eat our dinner because of the starving Biafrans. It just morphed into our adult lives and got extrapolated to cigars!

My wife says only a fool puts something in his mouth that he doesn't enjoy.

I guess a bigger fool would keep it there.....

If it doesn't push your buttons - chuck it and try something else. Life is way too short to drink bad wine or smoke lousy cigars!

• Like 1

Ryan ... Have one box of jlo Patricia's from '97 left ... Would love to change your mind about never having a jlo you have ever cared for .

Jeremy ... Have one box of jlo Patricia's from '97 left ... Would love to change your mind about what was the hands down best jlo you have ever had .

Jlo Patricia's ... Proof positive that " medium " bodied cigars can stand the test of time .

You're way too kind, Derrek :)

Have one left from a half box from '98. You're very right. Bloody good cigars. You keep em for yourself, mate.

JL isn't too bad. The modern No. 1s are pretty good themselves along with some double banded ones.

Lemme find you a few good JL from my humi. I know you hate the double bands... but you've got to try the Maximos :)

Sent from the Enigma on Tapatalk for BlackBerry.

I will only pitch something that is plugged...

Otherwise I get through it just in case it gets better or to try and figure out what I don't like about it.

After a few examples of a particular cigar I will write it off my list for a few years then revisit it in case the blend has changed or my taste have changed.

• Like 2

I always smoke cigars to about the halfway point to see if they put any decent tobacco in there... if they start out dead. Otherwise, the only cigars I've tossed were those that were plugged from the start. I've tossed a Partagas 155th Anniversary Salmones and 1998 Montecristo A in the same sitting. Both were still plugged after chopping the head and feet several times. I also tossed some old Belinda- Alfred Dunhill Seleccion Suprema No. 11 (cello wrapped). After lighting them up and smoking a couple inches, both of us knew that the cigars were only collectables... and worthless to a real smoker.

• Like 1

I've never pitched a well-constructed CC, except for maybe few cheapies. I had a phase about a year and a half ago where I still had a bunch of mid-range NCs in the my collection. Pitched almost every one. If I smoke a NC, it now has to be a Padron, Davidoff, Tatuaje, LP, etc. I can never go back to that chemical-tasting crap coming from General Cigar company.

If I don't enjoy the smoke in the trash it goes. Not going to fight with something that is supposed to be enjoyable.

Box or what's left gets either sold or bombed out if I consistently don't like them. Someone else could like them and there just not my taste.

I will only pitch something that is plugged...

Otherwise I get through it just in case it gets better or to try and figure out what I don't like about it.

After a few examples of a particular cigar I will write it off my list for a few years then revisit it in case the blend has changed or my taste have changed.

^This

I will generally give a cigar about five minutes before I think about pitching it. After the five-minute mark if I'm not enjoying it I will toss it if I am not enjoying it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like 2