Small cigar taste test prediction

Gonna meet up with a buddy tomorrow night and having a taste test between the Partagas Short, Bolivar PC, RASCC, and Monte No. 4. All are '14 HQ boxes as they are all the small cigars I've ventured into recently. We'll be pairing with some Partida Anejo tequila and Jefferson Presidential 18 year.

Just for kicks we'll finish off with a nice and oily JL No. 2.

Who will win?

Ooh, all quite different. For me, it proceeds as follows:

• Partagas Shorts - a crusty Cuban veguero punches you in the mouth with his sun-baked, tobacco-juice stained fist
  • Bolivar PC - a young Ibrahim Ferrer sings you a son while pouring a glass of Havana Club
  • RASCC - a professor of Arts and Letters at pre-revolution Universidad de la Habana recounts the history of the Tainos
  • Monte 4 - a rakish young gentleman shares his dream about traveling to Boston while walking with you on the Malecon

Wilkey

• Like 1

Gonna meet up with a buddy tomorrow night and having a taste test between the Partagas Short, Bolivar PC, RASCC, and Monte No. 4. All are '14 HQ boxes as they are all the small cigars I've ventured into recently. We'll be pairing with some Partida Anejo tequila and Jefferson Presidential 18 year.

Just for kicks we'll finish off with a nice and oily JL No. 2.

Who will win?

I'm assuming the Party Short will win as it is the only smoke out of your list that is good without a couple of years on it.

The Boli PC is the only one I have. I just happened to just jump on a the 2 box combos on the 12:12. It wasn't until a couple of months ago that I owned a box of cc's under a 48 RG. Main thing I was looking to get a sample of the smaller RG cigars from the manufacturers I like the most.

Here's the lineup ready to go in my zipidor.

Not going to do a blind test as I don't care who I name the "winner". I think I will have a pour of the bourbon and tequila to see which I like better with each cigar though.

post-15215-14146965045263.jpg

For me to do this would not be possible. Palate fatigue and high proof spirits would overwhelm my taste buds long before it was over.

I could do the Partagas and the RASCC in one go,plenty of difference tastewise between those,for sure. I would light both and not touch spirits before half way. Then a taste of spirits to determine the best pairing.

Eat a snack,brush your teeth, and repeat with the Boli and Monte. For sure a good time and a realistic method of evaluation.

I would save the J.Lopez for the next trial...........perhaps against a SLR or Choix........

For me to do this would not be possible. Palate fatigue and high proof spirits would overwhelm my taste buds long before it was over.

I could do the Partagas and the RASCC in one go,plenty of difference tastewise between those,for sure. I would light both and not touch spirits before half way. Then a taste of spirits to determine the best pairing.

Eat a snack,brush your teeth, and repeat with the Boli and Monte. For sure a good time and a realistic method of evaluation.

I would save the J.Lopez for the next trial...........perhaps against a SLR or Choix........

Agreed.....After the party short I doubt I would be tasting much with the others.

What do you plan on smoking first?

I'll probably start with the Monte and do the Party last. I'm the last guy on the face of the earth that will ever say I tasted any of the specific flavors some proclaim to. I'll just know which one I like best.

I'm assuming the Party Short will win as it is the only smoke out of your list that is good without a couple of years on it.

disagree

BPC is just as good fresh as Party Shorts

What?! No SCdLH el Principe? That would be the winner. Without that in the running the Bolivar will win if your tastes are anything like mine.

But I agree with what others have said about smoking 4 different cigars back to back to back. If you're reeeeally good friends, you could each take one different cigar and share them. ;-}

-Dan

The issue is that you need to smoke these in an order from lighter to stronger in order to really enjoy them

I would start with

Bolivar, then Monte, then RASSC then Parti...

but that is according to MY taste.

I do agree that you can blow out your taste between strong spirits and smoking these in a reverse order.

At most you might smoke the Parti before the RASSC or the Monte before the Boli but that is the rough order.

Well, the night didn't go quite as planned. The temps were low enough that we had flurries as I drove over to his house. Thus we just didn't have it in us to get through all 5 as we went back inside to warm up for quite a while. We managed to get through just the Bolivar and Monte and to be honest, the weather really hampered my ability to really pay attention to the differences. We still enjoyed them and the spirits as he broke out some Jameson 18 year which was nice. The Partida and Jefferson went down quite well in those temps.

One day I will get around to doing this again with much less temperature interference.

I still left him with the other 3 to try when he has time.