Imagine you had the sickness...

HarveyBoulevard

Imagine you could not control yourself, you had a terminal case of CCBS (Compulsive Cigar Buying Syndrome), you had cigars coming out of the wazoo and no where to store them...what are your options?

Criteria to be considered:

1. It needs to be a finished product (I am not a carpenter and could not build a humidor to save my life);

2. It needs to be attractive (would be nice to have an heirloom/antique piece to pass down);

3. It needs to hold at least 100 boxes;

4. Preferably temperature controlled;

5. Preferably active humidity controlled (not a deal breaker though);

6. Pretend price does not matter (it does but I don't want to rule anything out whilst brainstorming).

With all this in mind, what suggestions do other CCBS sufferers have for another ill BOTL?

Pretend price does not matter (it does but I don't want to rule anything out whilst brainstorming).

If price is truly no issue, a climate controlled walk in ( re - purposed closet / room or purpose built addition ) is the way for me. Otherwise, one of Ray's units.

I am in the same boat, just got notice of two packages at post office waiting for me. I am a carpenter but but sourcing decent materials, making it cost effective and getting time to build it is next to impossible. Looking into three options Aristocrat, a marine cooler, or just wondering what anyone thinks of Canada Humidors. Thought about the walk in humidor but that would put the wife right over the edge!

It can be hard to get tupperwear boxes with good seals, I found the best ones were found by searching for dog food storage containers on Amazon, 64 ltr ones for about $40, they will hold about 30 boxes/500-600 cigars nicely with a couple pounds of beads.

You can built a simple wooden box to out one/them in if you want to disguise them too.

If price is truly no issue, a climate controlled walk in ( re - purposed closet / room or purpose built addition ) is the way for me. Otherwise, one of Ray's units.

…thank you for that Ross, quite flattering!

Cheers! -Piggy

You know I am researching walk ins, not bad from a carpenters view. Just need to deal with humidity and temp. Hmm. Building wrap must play a part here somewhere.

Ahem . . . it's CCCBS, not CCBS . . . :P

Any chance you've got a basement? Subterranean is generally a good start for these sorts of things: stable temps, consistent humidity. Great place to start with for tuper/coolerdor type of storage, and even better for building that room sized walk-in; if and when your active humidification fails you've got a relatively benign environment as a fail safe for your collection of pre-embargo cubans.

Need something fast? If tuperdore won't do, then a wineador with beads is probably the cheapest way to get in the game and still have temp and rH control. It will tide you over until your masterpiece of CC cabinetry arrives.

The compete temperature and humidity units are so good these days, that for me (if price were no object), I'd order up a system and have a local furniture guy build whatever I wanted for the cabinet.

I run several coolidors with beads and use the house a/c for temp control. 65rh and 70 degrees year round. Works perfect.

Looking to consolidate into a single piece of furniture. Needs to hold at least 100 boxes and I have no idea how big of a unit that requires.

No basements due to geography. Too many coolidors and humidors. Need a single piece option and not sure what all is available.

Aristocrat M Plus holds 100+ boxes. At least mine does - PM'd you on some details....

If money was truly no question, i would be buying a very large coldroom.

Something like this....

http://www.o-digital.com/uploads/2227/2283-1/Mini_Multi_Temp_Cold_Room_437.jpg

A bit of a dislay at the front and massive storage out the back.

So thats prob 20-30k for the coldroom

And 150k to fly Ray out to Oz to design the humdity system to make this perfect.

Its nice to dream sometimes.....

You know I am researching walk ins, not bad from a carpenters view. Just need to deal with humidity and temp. Hmm. Building wrap must play a part here somewhere.

I have outlined on several thread some knee-jerk building notes on walk-in's and Tyvek is a part of that plan!

Cheers, Piggy

• 4 weeks later...

Winecoolers, just line up a few side by side :)

Glass front and work great.

I have 2 and would not mind a third.

If you have an interior closet that doesn't get used much like in a hallway then you could convert that.

I used to run an upright freezer with spanish cedar lining and a Johnson control unit. Easy to put together and ran great for years.