How Do You Martini?

polarbear

I often enjoy a Gin Martini and was curious if the members here do as well and if so, how do you like it?

I take mine 3parts Gin to 1part Vermouth, teaspoon of olive brine, stirred over ice and serviced with a couple of olives in a scotch glass (I hate martini glasses)

I tend to not let the liquid sit in the ice for too long as i find it dilutes the gin to a point where I loose a bit of the nuance of the gin I've chosen

What about you?

• 3 measures of Botanist Gin

1 measure of Stoli Vodka

1/2 measure Kina Lillet

Lemon peel for garnish

2 stuffed olives

My fave is 3.8 parts Gin (Plymouth, Hendrick's, Brokers - new fave, or Martin Miller. Sounds like I need to try the Botanist) and .2 parts Vermouth (Dolin Dry) with a few Bleu Cheese stuffed olives.

Stirred, not shaken!

Didnt I see that in a movie somewhere...

haha, of course, but it actually is my favorite!

• Like 1

Martini. Medium. Half and Half. Two olives.

Doesn't matter what gin or vodka they have at that point.

(Plymouth, Hendrick's, Brokers - new fave, or Martin Miller. Sounds like I need to try the Botanist

with those selections, yes!!

Plymouth is a start. Botanist is another.

Holy burning underpants BATMAN! Are you legally allowed to have a martini in Darwin? Surely there's some legal charter some place. I thought it was only bundy and green cans up that way?

Holy burning underpants BATMAN! Are you legally allowed to have a martini in Darwin? Surely there's some legal charter some place. I thought it was only bundy and green cans up that way?

Yeah, but you can only drink them while wearing stubbies and thongs

Besides, Martinis are an evening drink

We drink the VB's at breakfast and the Bundys at Lunch

• Like 1

If you ever make it down south we'll pimp out a mutual acquaintance to make some decent cocktails.

My favorite martini recipe is 1 part single malt and 0 part gin (or vodka as that makes a great substitute also).

Been a while since I had a martini. Never been a fan of gin for some reason but a good vodka martini may be on tap for this evening.

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

I have mine 1 part vermouth to 4 or 5 parts gin (depending on my mood). I prefer Noilly Prat vermouth, the gin...Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. I fill a mixing glass with ice and stir after also adding a dash of orange bitters. Granish with a lemon peel.

Recently I was on vacation in Hawaii. On one of the last nights at the hotel bar a few guys I met were discussing vodka martinis and gin martinis. Two of us favoured gin, two vodkas. Me?...gin and stirred.

• 3 weeks later...

I like a half & half gin and extra dry vermouth. Its all about the prep work, ingredients, and garnish. Start with Bombay Saffire mix with Martini & Rossi extra dry vermouth in equal portions in a jigger with ice. As Bond would say "shaken not stirred.". Pour into your favorite martini glass. Apply a skeewer of two large queen olives that have been scorred with a knife to allow better flavor transfer. Lastly add a squeeze of lime. Try it!

I pour a bit of Vermouth into my shaker with ice. Give it a quick shake and drain the Vermouth keeping the ice "coated". Add 2-4 oz of Gin (usually Tanqueray or Victoria Dry Gin), and then add enough olive brine to make it as dirty as a 2$ *****. Stir and serve with a couple of cheese stuffed olives (preferably goat cheese).

I have two methods I like:

Ice in a shaker after letting the martini glass rest in the freezer for a bit. Bombay Sapphire until the shaker is full, cover with a towel, and shake until you get the gin so cold it crystalizes a bit on top after pouring it into the glass. Before adding the gin I put vermouth in the cold class, swirl it around and dump it out. The end effect is just a kiss of vermouth.

Method two is the classic stirred martini. I swear by Bombay in fall and winter and Hendricks in the spring and summer. The problem, of course, is that summer is full swing gin and tonic living for me; And there are few things better than a well made gin and tonic on a hot day where alcohol is concerned.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I have mine 1 part vermouth to 4 or 5 parts gin (depending on my mood). I prefer Noilly Prat vermouth, the gin...Hendrick's, Bombay Sapphire or Tanqueray. I fill a mixing glass with ice and stir after also adding a dash of orange bitters. Granish with a lemon peel.

I had one of these yesterday with 1 part vermouth to 4 parts gin. Perhaps next time I will try 5 parts to make it slightly drier. Still, it's nice to have the ingredients and ability to make an authentic, traditional martini!

post-23478-0-74540200-1425674916_thumb.j

post-23478-0-19361100-1425674938_thumb.j