Suggestions for travel destinations in Asia

I have a fantastic problem. Work is forcing me to take two weeks off because they dont like people accumulating leave.

So my problem is, where should I go? Has to be Asia as I have free return flights with frequent flyer points. Trying not to spend too much, as I will be visitng my brother in New York next year and need to save up for that.

I've been to Hong Kong (multiple times), Japan, Singapore, mainland China and Korea.

So contemplating Taiwan or Vietnam for something new. Mabye both if I can fit it in the two weeks.

If I do go to Taiwan, I definitely want to visit a tea plantation and hike up some mountains.

Anyone have experience travelling in these countries? I will be going solo and with zero langauge ability.

Alternatively I can choose the easy option and go to Japan again, which I know I will like.

My missus just pulled the plug on our travel plans to Morocco.

Have decided to avoid all predominantly Muslim countries, due to ISIS and fundamental Islamic extremists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

oooohhh...great challenge to have.

given where you have been in Asia....rule them out.

Bali 5 days. Vietman 4-5 days. Singapore of HK 2-3 days Home.

merc...married/partner or not? if travelling with a partner then Bali is a great gig. I can provide some links/PM me. If by yourself then certainly drop it and "go the wild side".

Mordor

• Like 3

merc...married/partner or not? if travelling with a partner then Bali is a great gig. I can provide some links/PM me. If by yourself then certainly drop it and "go the wild side".

Nope, 29 year old and single. I don't trust myself to go to Thailand, less the inner deviant comes out jester.gif

Laos and Cambodia would be interesting. Hadn't considered those!

Another vote for Bali, especially if you are single. If you are into tea, Yunnan, a Southern Chinese province bordering Vietnam, is worth considering in addition to or in lieu of Taiwan. If you want something exotic, if not surreal (and a great cocktail story), there's always North Korea.

People are gonna tell you Thailand, because it is an awesome place.

I'll also throw in Vietnam because it is also really awesome and super cheap.

My missus just pulled the plug on our travel plans to Morocco.

Have decided to avoid all predominantly Muslim countries, due to ISIS and fundamental Islamic extremists.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shame about that Sting, Morocco looks like one hell of an interesting place. I'm sure you will have opportunity to visit in the future.

Another vote for Bali, especially if you are single. If you are into tea, Yunnan, a Southern Chinese province bordering Vietnam, is worth considering in addition to or in lieu of Taiwan. If you want something exotic, if not surreal (and a great cocktail story), there's always North Korea.

I have been to Yunnan, great place, bought back plenty of tea. People were so kind, despite language barrier. Never did I imagine that vegetables could taste so good, the best produce in Australia can't compare.

I've technically stepped like two meters over the North Korean border at the DMZ haha. I'm sure it would be a great experience to go there for real. One day!

• Like 1

Bangkok

Don't think that's a good idea.

Have you seen The Hangover 2?

I'd be happy if a missing finger and a face tattoo is all I came back with.

But seriously, I will consider a trip to Thailand in order go get certified to dive. Bound to be cheaper than doing it here in Aus.

Malaysia is pretty cool. You could spend a few days in KL and then head to Penang! Malaysian food is the best!

+1 (but being Malaysian I would say that!). Food is definitely great and language is no issue as English is widely spoken and understood (I once asked an old Malay gentleman for directions in a small town, speaking to him in Malay. He replied in perfect english that would have done the BBC proud!).

Google Pulau Perhentian. It's off the East Coast of Malaysia and has fantastic diving.

• Like 1

Merc, I've done diving in Malaysia and Thailand. Malaysia safety standards slightly better. It really depends on the dive centre how strict they want to be. Do pick the east coast of Malaysia or Thailand. Meaning South China sea, you get better visibility n the water much clearer. Kwsaw mentioned P. Perhentian awesome place. It has rustic resorts n pretty cool party environment at night on long beach.

Do pick the east coast of Malaysia or Thailand. Meaning South China sea, you get better visibility n the water much clearer.

Really? Wow. I'm not a diver and I trust your judgement since you are, but I sure thought the water on the West side of Thailand around Krabi and the islands off of it had some amazing water. I lived in Hawaii and the crystal blue waters around those Thai islands put the Hawaii water to shame. Of course that doesn't mean there's good diving, but I thought the water was bright and clear.

In Bangkok is Whisgars,a cigar/whiskey lounge with decent smokes and lots of single malt scotches and other drinks.

A really good restaurant is Pok Pok,and there is lots of street food.

The bar girls are plentiful,and they attatch no stigma to short timing with you,pay the bar fine and go for it.

Just got back from Hong Kong and Thailand. Thailand is amazing but VERY commercialized. Avoid Patong, Bangkok gets mixed reviews but I LOVED spending a few days on Ko Phi Phi Island.

HK is skippable, especially this time of year...it's disgustingly hot.

I would actually vote for a Vietnam, Cambodia and Laos trip...would be very easy to hit all three. Toss in Malaysia and you've got an unforgettable journey. Those countries are far less commercialized, very cheap and incredibly beautiful.

Thanks for the suggestions all. Have definitely given me a few new ideas that I had not considered.

So many great places to see in the world. I think I will have to start my own business where I can work remotely from a laptop. Only way I'll get to see half of these places!

vietnam sounds perfect for your criteria.

thailand great fun but depends what you want. spent a month on koh phangan but that was a long time ago - just pre the midnight parties etc.

bali - been to a lot of places and there are a great many more i want to see but bali is not one of them. no interest at all. however, i'd think guam for fun as well. struck me as like being on the set of magnum pi.

but also agree re malaysia.

any reason india or sri lanka not on the list? especially for a tea plantation. india is brilliant. sri lanka can be fun but possibly the weirdest place i've been.

Thanks Ken, we seem to be on the same page.

I am leaning towards Vietnam now.

Guam looks great, but I'll wait till I know how to dive before I head there.

India isn't very high on my list. Just don't have much of a desire to head either there or Bali. Maybe someday, but not at the moment.

What was weird about Sri Landa, out of curiosity?

Don't think that's a good idea.

Have you seen The Hangover 2?

I'd be happy if a missing finger and a face tattoo is all I came back with.

But seriously, I will consider a trip to Thailand in order go get certified to dive. Bound to be cheaper than doing it here in Aus.

BK is absolutely great. it NEVER sleeps however the traffic is horrible. It would definitely be an adventure. Send me a PM if you want some help with a Hostel/Hotel. The BTR is easy to use. Just don't take any Durian on board

If you want to dive go to Vietnam or Cambodia.