Ghurka Cigars

OK, I have done some searching through the forums and it appears that for the most part Ghurka appears to be something of a swear-word around here. There are one or two recommendations mixed in but mostly people seem to be very against the brand.

I have read some of the reviews both from here and from other websites and understand that for a lot of people the concerns are more based on the fact that there is too much in the way of bells, whistles and bling and not enough Cigar for the money.

I'll admit to being attracted to Ghurkas in my early days of smoking cigars and I'll also admit that a lot of the attraction came from how nice the box looked. However, they are very, very rarely sold over here in the UK and where they are they are very expensive so I've never actually had the pleasure/displeasure of smoking one to give it my own opinion.

I've just ordered myself a new Humidor from a US based site and they happened to sell Ghurka Assassin Churchills for quite a reasonable price for the box (20). They seem to have pretty good reviews overall in comparison to some of the other Ghurka cigars and it wouldn't be a great loss if they weren't brilliant as I got them for a pretty good price...so I've bitten the bullet and ordered a box of those as well. I'll obviously post some pics and a review of the smoke once I've let them settle in for a bit but was just wondering on the general opinions from people in here?

Are you into Ghurka cigars at all? Have you generally had good or bad experiences? Is there a particular cigar which has peaked your interest?

Like I said, I've bought them to sate my own interest, they were at a great price so I don't mind if they're mediocre. If nothing else, they can be given to my friends who don't smoke cigars very often and probably won't notice the difference whilst I sit back and enjoy the fruits of the End Of Month clearance!!! :-D

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Rocky Patel.

Dear Grahamsant, I've said It once and I'll say It again,It's about time they make REAL cigars instead of nice packageing,because that's all they have . I have smoked some good N.C.'s ,like the Tatu

You owe money to the "swear jar"!

Dear Grahamsant,

I've said It once and I'll say It again,It's about time they make REAL cigars instead of nice packageing,because that's

all they have . I have smoked some good N.C.'s ,like the Tatujae & Illusione cigars but them ? I'd prefer smoking a bad peso

cigar then a GHURKA cigar ,and I mean ANY.

Amicalement,

Guy

• Like 3

You owe money to the "swear jar"!

• Like 2

I feel like I should hang my head in shame already and I haven't even received or tried one yet!

Do I get any resolve for the three boxes I ordered from our hosts over the last couple of days??

I hope you like them! I, too, started out on Gurkhas - my first cigar (that I enjoyed) was actually a Gurkha G3, which are no longer made. I used to like the Master's Select Perfectos, which are no longer made.

Honestly, there's a reason that you can get Fuentes and Padrons overseas, but not Gurkhas...

Still, they have their followers.

I've tried several but never found one that tripped my trigger like some other NC's have. The only NC's I keep around anymore but will probably not repurchase after they are gone are andassortment of CAO's, Dominican Cohiba Blacks, Macanudo 1997 torpedo reserve, Brickhouse mighty mighty gordo maduro, nub 464t, the only ones i will keep on hand for friends to smoke afterward are acid blonde or kuba kuba, man o war double corona and punch bare knuckle (got a deal on them for about $1.25 a stick and not a bad little smoke), and Drew estate Java petite corona's.

I'm only 1/3 through my herf of my 16 flavor assortment of Cubans and had some phenomenal smokes I have never found close in a nc cigar for the same money or sometimes less than some nc's my money is now for the cc's. I would never consider purchasing a Ghurka knowing I could purchase a really good cc for the same or less money.

Only Gurkha that I've ever liked is the Ghost. Other than that, they are so overpriced it's ridiculous. Little know fact, they are rolled in the Brickhouse factory and some are actually the same cigar as what Brickhouse sells for $2. That's the truth, not just speculation. The owner of our local B&M saw them putting bands on the Gurkha and Brickhouse sticks and reaching from the same pile for both.

• Like 1

I smoked Ghurka cigars years ago when I didn't know better. Shortly after I started smoking different NC and never looked back. That's not say you will not enjoy it. I hope you do.

You being able to get CC in your back yard there is no reason to look for for anything else IMHO.

I used to drink Dos Dedos Tequila in college. That was because I didn't know any better. It was liquid...I could drink it...it got me drunk...but...

Same thing with Ghurka's. I used to smoke a few of them. It is tobacco...it is rolled into the shape of a cigar...and you can burn it...but...

I don't drink Dos Dedos Tequila anymore for the same reason I don't smoke Ghurkas anymore. There are much better options at that price point.

(All my personal opinion. Totally worthless :)

• Like 1

Smoke what you like, but for hte money, you can do a whole lot better, particularly if you're keeping stock to give to people that don't know better.

I'd rather give someone a decent cuban for much less money, so they can at least say they smoked a real CC, rather than some trumped up bad tobacco marketing gimmick.

Thank you all for your grief on the subject! Haha! Just kidding!

No opinions are worthless here, i knew from the look of the other times I've seen Ghurkas mentioned that it would be a somewhat controversial subject to mention here but I was interested to see the views and opinions in general.

I'm very much of the opinion that I would rather regret having done something than regret not ever having done it in the first place and never knowing and that is my theory here. I know there's not a great deal of positive reviews out there but I really wanted to have my own experience and formulate my own opinion. As a rule of thumb, I generally stick with CC's (I totally agree that given the option of the best - if you can afford it, why choose anything else?) but expanding one's horizons can never be a bad thing.......right?

When they arrive I'll get a few pics up and once they've had a chance to settle I'll give one a go and write up a review (in advance, I request no "I told you so's" lol3.gif

once they've had a chance to settle

Will this really make a difference?......innocent.gif

jester.gif

• Like 1

I had a hard time just getting past that creepy looking dude on the band...

You mean a stereotypical Gurkha?

Speaking of which, what IS it with their fascination with warriors with funny names?

I swear, in the Dom Rep., do they have 'Green Beret' cigars? Or Maori?

Oh I know! "Mounties" :)

Sent from my Q10 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

After further review, my prior post is a touch snotty (its still true but needed a much more caring and understanding tone :)

That being said, I have smoked a ton of different cigars both NC and CC. Still smoke a fair number of NC's.

Best advice...try anything you want. If you like it, buy more. If you don't, don't make the same mistake twice. They are your tastebuds so smoke what you like and enjoy.

After further review, my prior post is a touch snotty (its still true but needed a much more caring and understanding tone smile.png

That being said, I have smoked a ton of different cigars both NC and CC. Still smoke a fair number of NC's.

Best advice...try anything you want. If you like it, buy more. If you don't, don't make the same mistake twice. They are your tastebuds so smoke what you like and enjoy.

No need to apologise Compadre!

Like I've already said - I wanted to get peoples views and opinions but I did gather at the same time that it was going to be a bit controversial! All taken in good humour!

Other than sub par cigars, my biggest problem with Ghurka is the marketing hype. They list the MSRP for their cigars in the stratosphere then discount them by like 80% to make it seem like you are getting a real bargain for a high brow cigar. A certain online vendor here in the U.S. has about 4000 varieties of Ghurka. I have never seen a line of cigars that can pump out such a low quality product in such volume and variety then act like they are super rare and exclusive.

• Like 1

I tried a number of them early on, and thought they were fine - no better or worse than other stuff out there at that time. I went and checked, and lo and behold, I still have one of the perfectos (fatter in the middle, tapered at both ends - the original torpedo) - they were called the Centurion. I also found I still have a few La Aurora Preferidos, both cameroon and maduro (same shape as the Gurkha). I tend to doubt any of these will have stood the test of time, but will endeavor to try them soon.

You can never go wrong by trying things for yourself and coming to your own conclusions, and need not apologize for doing so smile.png

P.S:

post-296-0-73758300-1402009996_thumb.jpg