The Perfect Pairing...what's yours?

Some things in life are just so good, call it divine intervention if you will but they just seem to be made for each other...

My favourite cigar and single malt just happen to embody this spirit of perfection. When enjoyed together something magical happens...

Cohiba 1966 EL 2011 and BenRiach 25 year old single malt.

Today's expression of perfection!

eby4egab.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Monte Sublime or Cohiba PE and Old Pulteney 21 is up there at the top of the list for me.

Monte Sublime or Cohiba PE and Old Pulteney 21 is up there at the top of the list for me.

Nice call, I have some Sublimes coming and tasted the Old Putney 17 last week which was very nice.

Will pick up the 21 and "let the magic happen" :)

Some things in life are just so good, call it divine intervention if you will but they just seem to be made for each other...

My favourite cigar and single malt just happen to embody this spirit of perfection. When enjoyed together something magical happens...

Cohiba 1966 EL 2011 and BenRiach 25 year old single malt.

Today's expression of perfection!

eby4egab.jpg

So funny,

In the hammock listening to the surf, rather than get off my ass I phoned the missus to bring me a beer :)

Ballast Point, Victory At Sea - Coffee Vanilla Imperial Porter.

...another perfect compliment to the flavour changes of the Cohiba.

yvy6anu5.jpg

08 Partagas 898 or a Robaina farm rolled from '11 paired with the Bowmore 15yr Liamrig have been my fave pairings so far this year. Sherry cask sweetness compliments the stronger cigars brilliantly.

Like all things, a balance is crucial. Champagnes are a good choice for vintage, light, or beautiful cigars. Cognacs and armagnacs are great for young or powerful cigars that need an equivalent body to complement and stand up to the cigar.

Generally anything with heavy tannins is not recommended. That and sugar, only because it just destroys your palate.

• Like 2

Armagnac (which has more fruit than cognac) is a fantastic pairing for Bolivar, Cohiba, full bodied habanos in general.

The problem is, even in France, where you can find good single malts at great prices (starting at ± €25), a good armagnac is much pricier… and being a small production you don't find it at your local supermarket.

• Like 1

Sherry is a fortified wine. It contains a small % of a distilled spirit, which doesn't make it a "distilled product" – that said, it can be a good pairing for a cigar.

Semantics. Like saying a rubber soled boot with a leather upper, isn't a leather product.

Fortification requires distilled spirits.

From my mobile phone

.....Champagnes are a good choice for vintage, light, or beautiful cigars.

As always, these things can be subjective, so simply for conversation - I think Champagnes / dry sparklers, or any crisp, acid based whites, are a great accompaniment for really any cigar - specifically because they can hold their own - retain their own identities with even heavy cigars.

I agree with tannic wines, and would include buttery / oaky wines - I feel they get lost / killed by cigar smoke. I'm also not a fan of astringent spirits with cigars, as I feel everything goes awry.

Semantics. Like saying a rubber soled boot with a leather upper, isn't a leather product.

From my mobile phone

Yep

Sherry is a fortified wine. It contains a small % of a distilled spirit, which doesn't make it a "distilled product" – that said, it can be a good pairing for a cigar.

As much as 50 %

So for you Port is a distilled product? 15 or 17% of distilled spirit doesn't make a wine a "distilled product".