The Perfect Pairing...what's yours?

Don't know if our guests reading know how hard it is to get that wonderful nectar you have there. You lucky bastard !

Haha. That stuff has great nose on it. The taste is excellent too but a little bit of a let down compared to the older stuff.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not really...... Port is wine that has been fortified. Sherry is a wine which has been fortified. Madeira, Marsala........

Yes really...... by saying something is one thing, does not mean it is another. Not everything is black and white. Port is wine, as is sherry, and yes they have been fortified. But as I said the rubber soled boot is a 'leather product' does not mean it ceases to be a boot.

While sherry is not exclusively a distilled product, what it is not, is not a distilled product.

Sherry is both a wine, fortified wine, a distilled product and a delicious pairing, not quite perfect.

A rubber soled leather boot is considered a leather product, not a rubber product.

I subscribe to the school of thought that does not consider Sherry a distiller product.

While sherry is not exclusively a distilled product, what it is not, is not a distilled product.

What is the point of prolonging a discussion with this kind of argument?

You completely miss my point which was about whisky, bourbon, rum, cognac, armagnac, calvados, all distilled, all aged in oak casks, all very popular among cigar connoisseurs…

I have leather boots with leather soles, I have leather boots with rubber soles - I've never considered either anything but leather boots. But enough of this for me - I'm off to open a bottle of carbon dioxide (that would be sparkling wine for the less enlightened).

• Like 1

What is the point of prolonging a discussion with this kind of argument?

For the purpose of discussion.

I got your point --> "Any distilled product that spent more than 10 years in an oak cask will compliment a good habano!"

Which I wholeheartedly agree.

But --> "Sherry is not a distilled product."

​Is somewhat disagreeable.

And as such I begged to differ. Which is not saying you were wrong. I just differ.

The point of this discussion is to find the perfect pairing.

Now, if something is aged in an oak cask, let's lump Sherry in for a minute too.

I am even familiar with quite a few notable whiskies finished in sherry casks.

If you want a black and white discussion, or get caught up in semantics, then that is fine and often more fun for conversational purposes. But the answers to:- Is Sherry a wine? Is Sherry distilled? are both Yes.

For the purpose of discussion.

I got your point --> "Any distilled product that spent more than 10 years in an oak cask will compliment a good habano!"

Which I wholeheartedly agree.

But --> "Sherry is not a distilled product."

​Is somewhat disagreeable.

And as such I begged to differ. Which is not saying you were wrong. I just differ.

The point of this discussion is to find the perfect pairing.

Now, if something is aged in an oak cask, let's lump Sherry in for a minute too.

I am even familiar with quite a few notable whiskies finished in sherry casks.

If you want a black and white discussion, or get caught up in semantics, then that is fine and often more fun for conversational purposes. But the answers to:- Is Sherry a wine? Is Sherry distilled? are both Yes.

Gentlemen...

Let's put our handbags down for a just a second please all semantics aside.

As a professional Meadery owner who ferments and distills I can confidently say;

1/Sherry is a beverage fermented from grape must, then enriched or "fortified" with distilled spirit to create the finished product.

2/Distilled spirit is exactly that, pure spirit distilled from a fermented must.

Always created at pure strength, then diluted to any desired ABV

ie; Whisky must have a bottled minimum ABV of 43% to be called "Whisky".

If in doubt come visit and we can have a pure mead, in fresh, fortified barrel aged and pure distilled spirit just as to avoid any confusion :)

• Like 1

Gentlemen...

Let's put our handbags down for a just a second please all semantics aside.

As a professional Meadery owner who ferments and distills I can confidently say;

1/Sherry is a beverage fermented from grape must, then enriched or "fortified" with distilled spirit to create the finished product.

2/Distilled spirit is exactly that, pure spirit distilled from a fermented must.

Always created at pure strength, then diluted to any desired ABV

ie; Whisky must have a bottled minimum ABV of 43% to be called "Whisky".

If in doubt come visit and we can have a pure mead, in fresh, fortified barrel aged and pure distilled spirit just as to avoid any confusion :)

Keen!

Cheers!

From my mobile phone

• Like 1

I cant drink leather boots, so that most definitely is not distilled.

I like coffee, and any wine or whiskey with my cigars. Glenmorangie with any Cohiba, Punch, Upmann, Montecristo is very delightful.

Coffee with RA, and Bolivar, and Monte

Tea and gin with ERDM or La Gloria