It helps to have an open mind

Guest rob

Cigar in question is the 2006 Cohiba EL

I have been going though my stock of these slowly, at the rate of between one to three per year....

The last year, these were very flat - so much so that I thought they were past their best. In fact, the last one I smoked had me thinking that this brilliant cigar when smoked fresh has lost its legs for good.

Well, I just smoked one this afternoon and it was freaking brilliant! Easily the best cigar I have had in 2014, so far.

It was full bodied and had flavour, texture and smoke aplenty.

It started off light, and had me worried that it was a dud.... But it changed every 15 mins or so to be an absolute powerhouse by the end. I nubbed it!

The thing that struck me was that it didn't have the typical EL molasses flavour that is so prevalent in many ELs - including the earlier examples I have smoked of these. It certainly wasn't typical Cohiba - it was like a cross between Cohiba Especiales, Hoyo Du Gourmet and HU Sir Winnie. It was a great cigar in its own right.

I'll revisit in a month (with high expectation) and see how the next goes.

Cigars are great when they come together like that. Have my last box atm, might be worth a look see after your review rob! hungry.gif

Cigar in question is the 2006 Cohiba EL

I have been going though my stock of these slowly, at the rate of between one to three per year....

The last year, these were very flat - so much so that I thought they were past their best. In fact, the last one I smoked had me thinking that this brilliant cigar when smoked fresh has lost its legs for good.

Well, I just smoked one this afternoon and it was freaking brilliant! Easily the best cigar I have had in 2014, so far.

It was full bodied and had flavour, texture and smoke aplenty.

It started off light, and had me worried that it was a dud.... But it changed every 15 mins or so to be an absolute powerhouse by the end. I nubbed it!

The thing that struck me was that it didn't have the typical EL molasses flavour that is so prevalent in many ELs - including the earlier examples I have smoked of these. It certainly wasn't typical Cohiba - it was like a cross between Cohiba Especiales, Hoyo Du Gourmet and HU Sir Winnie. It was a great cigar in its own right.

I'll revisit in a month (with high expectation) and see how the next goes.

Your talking about the Cohiba Piramides EL 2006 right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep.

I have my eye on a box a guy I know has stashed in the shop humidor...

It's seems very expensive though !

What's a fair price for a sealed box of these guys?

It depends, if you're going to smoke them them they need to be unsealed and checked imo

I have been quoted equivalent to AUD$1750 ...

If on checking the stock is in good condition what would you pay?

Robbo, I'll have to take your word for it smile.png

I've been smoking one a year for the past five or six years and none from my box have been much good. I'm due, so perhaps I'll try another soon. I'll keep an open mind as I usually do, but it will have to be alchemy...... lol3.gif

• Like 1

Rob,

In all honestly I hope you are right but if I were in your position I wouldn't hold my breath. Don't have any expectation of the subsequent ones being the same caliber or you might be severly disappointed brother. And if you're not then you may be onto something.

Rossco and RC, I hear you both - but like the thread title said - keep an open mind!!

I approached yesterdays cigar with the majority of my expectation firmly believing this was going to a very expensive dud cigar..... As the last many of them had been.

Looking back at my post, I guess it could be interpreted that the post was about the cigar itself - whereas my intention was to more be an advocate for approaching all future experiences with an open mind. Give yourself the opportunity to be surprised.

Okay, my mind is totally open… My brains are oozing out my ears, what I have left. What brains are left, are coalescing on the fact that you smoke a different cigar on any given day… What does cigar development have to do with one cigar being better than another? I know, this has nothing to do with the OP!

Anyone 'open' to the idea that one was good and another was bad? How about the idea that on any given day, you could pull from any given box, the best cigar you ever smoked or the worst?

I have to agree that you must give any cigar a little time, smoking time, to develop. Tossing one in an inch could be a big mistake! I carry this concept into the plugged arena which is argued here every few months at least…!

Based on another post… THEY ARE ASKING WHAT FOR THESE CIGARS?

Good topic Rob!

…my 2cts. -the Pig

• Like 1

I have been quoted equivalent to AUD$1750 ...

If on checking the stock is in good condition what would you pay?

To be honest I've never really chased any of the ELs, I think the ones ones I own are a single box of monte sublimes and single box of Cuaba 08s. So I'm not too up on pricing, I've seen Cohiba sublimes up for around e800 a box though so that might be a good point of reference for value.

- but like the thread title said - keep an open mind!!

Of course mate, I take that approach every time I ignite. But I also don't think it unreasonable to have the minimum expectation of a properly drawing, good tasting cigar. I feel the surprise should be the bad cigar, not the good or great one.

Have not tried this cigar but saw a box for sale recently that just kept dropping. Dropped down under 400 US. Read a few recent reviews and all seemed to believe it had lost its legs and was headed backwards. Not sure if it is true or not but lost interest in trying to pick up a box at least for the moment.

It certainly wasn't typical Cohiba - it was like a cross between Cohiba Especiales, Hoyo Du Gourmet and HU Sir Winnie. It was a great cigar in its own right.

Glad they turned around for you and it was a good cigar. But wow, I would love a cigar crossed with the ones you listed above... sounds great!